silence notifications/alerts?

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I can't for the life of me find the setting to silence a notification if I'm talking to someone in a room or public and I keep getting texts from someone or a group text.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction for that setting? Nothing happens when I hit the volume or power button when I get alerts. I

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
In the galaxy phones, you push volume in home screen and the ringtone screen pops down. You tap the three dots in top right corner to drop down further volume options. Notifications are there as a separate slider.
Or just pull down quick settings and tap the speaker icon until you get a line through it. That should silence everything... You can enable vibrate mode so you know you have alerts without disturbing the rest of the room.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
In the galaxy phones, you push volume in home screen and the ringtone screen pops down. You tap the three dots in top right corner to drop down further volume options. Notifications are there as a separate slider.
Or just pull down quick settings and tap the speaker icon until you get a line through it. That should silence everything... You can enable vibrate mode so you know you have alerts without disturbing the rest of the room.

Thank you. But that's not what I'm trying to do. I know how to adjust the volume or change alert options. I'm talking about as an alert or notification is coming in, how do I silence/cancel it from continuing to go off if I'm holding my phone while it's going off?

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Tim's suggestion is probably the easiest way to go about this. If your phone is blowing up with notifications then simply mute your notification volume and once your conversation is done, then turn the vokume back on.

Another option is to adjust the notification behavior of the individual app. If you receive a notification mid-conversation and want to only silence that specific app, then pull down your notification shade, partially slide the notification tile to the right to expose the setting gear and select the option you want.

Of course, you'll have to remember to go back to that specific app settings and change it back when you're done. For me, this is something I only do for apps I want to permanently receive silent notifications from.

93e676de9808f4c15b82d3d343b1cff6.jpg
6c6d50fe8990dd334a624778fecc1b83.jpg

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Again, that's not what I am trying to do. This was possible on my S7E, how can it not be an option on the Note8?
This is a fundamental action! Has Samsung taken it away completely in this version!?

That makes no sense!

tmo1973

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
In the pull down, there is Do Not Disturb. You can set this to allow certain apps or even certain people if you want, or all apps. You can even set a schedule for it. When you want to silence notifications on the spot, pull down and turn it on. I rearranged my icons in the pull down so it is always on top. I also set it to DND every night at 10, only allowing phone calls or text messages from my daughter to come through. Everything else stays silent until 5:45 the next day.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
There may have been setting in KitKat 4.4 on my Note II, definitely in iOS, to choose sound notification setting for each and every app - so I could set Twitter, FB etc to None or Off, but have it On for email and messages.

I'm sure this gets asked routinely. There was an app, forgot which, that tried to mimic that type of feature. Been couple years since i used it.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
In the pull down, there is Do Not Disturb. You can set this to allow certain apps or even certain people if you want, or all apps. You can even set a schedule for it. When you want to silence notifications on the spot, pull down and turn it on. I rearranged my icons in the pull down so it is always on top. I also set it to DND every night at 10, only allowing phone calls or text messages from my daughter to come through. Everything else stays silent until 5:45 the next day.

Thank you. I also use DND on a schedule at night. Again this wasn't what I was trying to do.

I can hit the volume rocker when my phone rings, and it stops the ringing, but doesn't turn into the FU button. I am trying to do the same thing with a text message. I shouldn't have to change my overall settings to temporarily silence an alert for a text message.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried settings>advanced features easy mute?

I have that turned on, but it doesn't do anything if it's in my hand. It's weird. I really don't understand why this is nowhere to be found!? I'll have to take a look at my S7E at home to see if I can remember where the setting was. It sucks because after almost a year of frustration with it on the S7E, I found the setting, and then I upgraded to the Note8, and now I'm back at square 1.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have that turned on, but it doesn't do anything if it's in my hand. It's weird. I really don't understand why this is nowhere to be found!? I'll have to take a look at my S7E at home to see if I can remember where the setting was. It sucks because after almost a year of frustration with it on the S7E, I found the setting, and then I upgraded to the Note8, and now I'm back at square 1.
You mean to say if it's placed on a table, easy mute works, but if you're holding it, covering the sensor does nothing?

I have an S7E on hand. What setting are you looking for anyway?

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
You mean to say if it's placed on a table, easy mute works, but if you're holding it, covering the sensor does nothing?

I have an S7E on hand. What setting are you looking for anyway?

Correct. Flipping it over works. but placing my hand over it, does nothing. Again, not exactly what I am trying to do.

I just want to be able to stop the alert from going off mid alert. Not change settings, not have to open a menu, drill down to an option, and select the option. I just want to be able to silence the alert from continuing if I know the alert is going off while the phone is in my hand. If I am in a group text conversation and multiple people are chiming in, I get an alert for each message. If I am holding the phone and know these message are coming in, but I don't want to hear the entire tone for each message, there should be the option to just hit a button without changing any settings, to make it stop.

I've tried the home button, the power button, the volume buttons, nothing. It still goes off...
Has anyone else tried this, or had this issue??

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Correct. Flipping it over works. but placing my hand over it, does nothing. Again, not exactly what I am trying to do.

I just want to be able to stop the alert from going off mid alert. Not change settings, not have to open a menu, drill down to an option, and select the option. I just want to be able to silence the alert from continuing if I know the alert is going off while the phone is in my hand. If I am in a group text conversation and multiple people are chiming in, I get an alert for each message. If I am holding the phone and know these message are coming in, but I don't want to hear the entire tone for each message, there should be the option to just hit a button without changing any settings, to make it stop.

I've tried the home button, the power button, the volume buttons, nothing. It still goes off...
Has anyone else tried this, or had this issue??
Can't say I have. I use Textra which has the setting to turn off notifications while the app is open. Textra is one of the first things I install on the phone, right after going through the setup process for Google and Samsung accounts.

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think there are some glitches with this new phone. This seems to be one of them. Easy mute should take care if this problem. Hoping the next update fixes quite a few things.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Can't say I have. I use Textra which has the setting to turn off notifications while the app is open. Textra is one of the first things I install on the phone, right after going through the setup process for Google and Samsung accounts.

I don't get notifications for that particular conversation if it's open, however, if it's going off while in hand, I shouldn't have to download a secondary app just to use messages and cancel an alert from going off. Again, I shouldn't have to completely change settings either.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I think there are some glitches with this new phone. This seems to be one of them. Easy mute should take care if this problem. Hoping the next update fixes quite a few things.

I think you're right. But it's also strange to me that the option isn't there either. You would think should be a basic option/action.

Karcli11

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Yes..........I am having the same issue. It's so annoying to have it go off when I am on my work landline. If I silence all the messages then I would never know when I got a message. Have you figured it out yet?

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes..........I am having the same issue. It's so annoying to have it go off when I am on my work landline. If I silence all the messages then I would never know when I got a message. Have you figured it out yet?

Nope, still no option to do this with the stock apps. It is quite annoying!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge