auto brightness

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with auto brightness actually working? I literally turn it on and off to see if it actually works and it stays the same (whether in the sunlight or inside)....

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
When it's on, where is your brightness slider? If it's all the way to the right, it won't change much at all. I have my slider about a third from the left side or closer to the middle and auto brightness works fantastically. WAY better than it did on my N4. It's a nice gradual adjustment.

BriniaSona

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I usually keep my almost at the lowest all the time and it loves to jack itself up. I'm so afraid of screen burn in. Had this happen on my BlackBerry Priv Android phone, would hate to have it happen this this one because the screen brightens itself to super high levels.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
it doesn't move at all.. it just stays where it is until I manually adjust it despite the change in ambient light. nothing like the s8 I had.

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
it doesn't move at all.. it just stays where it is until I manually adjust it despite the change in ambient light. nothing like the s8 I had.
I have the same problem. But then I read the fine print and just shrug.... 🤷🏾*
8655f4ffadf8d3ecdca5cb7c4d0688f4.jpg

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
So it's basically contradicting itself by saying we have to adjust it ourselves? I feel like this is definitely something the s8 has a 1 up on this awesome phone...

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So it's basically contradicting itself by saying we have to adjust it ourselves? I feel like this is definitely something the s8 has a 1 up on this awesome phone...

It "learns", adjust it the way you want it, then the next time you are in similar lighting conditions, it will remember your preference and adjust accordingly. At least in theory. Lol

YaniCruz

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with auto brightness actually working? I literally turn it on and off to see if it actually works and it stays the same (whether in the sunlight or inside)....

I know this annoyed me at first. My S7 used to adjust based on the lighting environment now it learns what you like? I still would like to have that feature back if possible.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I know this annoyed me at first. My S7 used to adjust based on the lighting environment now it learns what you like? I still would like to have that feature back if possible.

Agreed... the s8 was the same way.. it shouldn't even have the option and just let us adjust manually every time if that's the case..

TTQ225

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
It was a bad move to remove automatic control feature. It worked well in all my previous models. The learning algorithm doesn't learn anything despite what they say.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine works fine.
I just turned the brightness half way up, with auto brightness on, turned off the light and the screen dimmed. I turned the light on and the brightness increased.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It was a bad move to remove automatic control feature. It worked well in all my previous models. The learning algorithm doesn't learn anything despite what they say.

It does learn, it just doesn't do it very well. Mine adjusts, but it frequently gets them wrong. And for some god awful reason when the phone is in direct sunlight Samsung cranks it into the super high brightness and it will not allow you to change it unless you turn off auto brightness.

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I actually like how the auto brightness works now. Always kept it off on my previous Notes because the screen would get to dark indoors. Since I got my 8 I adjusted it once or twice and now it always seems to be perfect no matter the lighting I'm in.

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I turn mine off as it never seems to work the way I prefer. Some reviews say turning it off will save battery but IMO that's likely minimal. Either way, I've not used it on any of my phones.

BriniaSona

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It does learn, it just doesn't do it very well. Mine adjusts, but it frequently gets them wrong. And for some god awful reason when the phone is in direct sunlight Samsung cranks it into the super high brightness and it will not allow you to change it unless you turn off auto brightness.
Mine does this too. Hope it doesn't fry my screen.

Scford718

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
I think the auto adjust works, but muuuuuuch slower than previous Samsung phones. I noticed that when I'm in a dark room and I use iris unlock, it opens at full brightness... Quite blinding. But I watched it once and it seemed to be slowly dimming... I mean like INCH WORM slowly, so that it was barely noticeable. Slow learning? LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL