Web Links Opening in Chrome Instead of Corresponding App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
There's always a few bumps in the road with a new phone, but this is frustrating me to no end.

When I tap on a link, it's opening in Chrome instead of opening the app. For example, if I click on an Amazon link, I'm directed to the mobile website in Chrome rather than the Amazon app. This also happens for the Play Store, ESPN, Android Central, and about a dozen others.

I do have all of these apps installed on my phone, so that's definitely not an issue. I've cleared the Chrome app defaults and still can't get links to open in app rather than with Chrome.

Any suggestions?

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There's always a few bumps in the road with a new phone, but this is frustrating me to no end.

When I tap on a link, it's opening in Chrome instead of opening the app. For example, if I click on an Amazon link, I'm directed to the mobile website in Chrome rather than the Amazon app. This also happens for the Play Store, ESPN, Android Central, and about a dozen others.

I do have all of these apps installed on my phone, so that's definitely not an issue. I've cleared the Chrome app defaults and still can't get links to open in app rather than with Chrome.

Any suggestions?

Go to Settings/Apps...Select Chrome and then scroll down to Defaults, clear defaults.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I did.

Another bit of useful info might also be that I'm not being prompted to choose a default app either. I know that I was prompted with a couple of apps when I first set up my phone, but they're even opening with Chrome instead of the app.

But most of the time I'm not even being prompted to select a default app. Grrrr.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I did.

Another bit of useful info might also be that I'm not being prompted to choose a default app either. I know that I was prompted with a couple of apps when I first set up my phone, but they're even opening with Chrome instead of the app.

But most of the time I'm not even being prompted to select a default app. Grrrr.
Hmmm, I wasn't being prompted at first but am now. Try the app Better Open With in Play Store. I used it on my N4 for years and it came across to my N8. It will at least give you a choice of what to choose to open with if the OS won't.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm, I wasn't being prompted at first but am now. Try the app Better Open With in Play Store. I used it on my N4 for years and it came across to my N8. It will at least give you a choice of what to choose to open with if the OS won't.
So I gotta download an app to tell my phone what apps to open. Ugh. I'll give it a look and if it works, great, but I really feel like these kinds of apps should be completely unnecessary on any brand new phone, especially a premium phone like the Note 8.

Thanks for the suggestion.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
So I gotta download an app to tell my phone what apps to open. Ugh. I'll give it a look and if it works, great, but I really feel like these kinds of apps should be completely unnecessary on any brand new phone, especially a premium phone like the Note 8.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah, I totally agree but it was the only way to get that option on my N4. Maybe try a reboot first? Have you checked for an OS update? Mine got an update a couple days after I got it to 7.1.1 and I'm wondering if that's what made mine give the open with option now.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
How about disabling Chrome? I don't thnk you can uninstall it but I disabled it first thing. But I don't like Chrome and never use it anywhere so if you do and are invested in it, I guess that won't work.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I use Chrome as my mobile browser. The issue is I tap on a link for an item on, say Amazon or eBay for example, and it would open the website in Chrome instead of opening the Amazon or eBay app.

Funny thing is that I've done absolutely nothing in terms of playing with settings or anything since starting this thread, but like a day or 2 later everything started functioning properly. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garthS153