Apps requesting too much permission

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Why do apps request permission to things they don't need? Samsung Pay wants access to data about my vital signs? What the hell for? It also wants access to my contacts, why? The business transaction is between me and Samsung/whatever vendor I am buying from.

samsung pay.jpg

Samsung kids wants access to my contacts as well. Again, why? I have installed, then uninstalled a bunch of apps once I see what they are requesting access to. This is insane. I have now started to go back and look at the permissions for every app on my phone.

Samsung kids.jpg

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
You can, but some (maybe most?) apps won't function at all if you don't allow all of the permissions it is requesting.
I usually see how an app acts without permission(s) I'm not comfortable allowing and if it works I keep it. If not, I find something else without such invasive permissions.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I usually see how an app acts without permission(s) I'm not comfortable allowing and if it works I keep it. If not, I find something else without such invasive permissions.
Exactly. For instance, I just got rid of Pen Up (Coloring) because it refused to work without access to my contacts.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Why do apps request permission to things they don't need? Samsung Pay wants access to data about my vital signs? What the hell for? It also wants access to my contacts, why? The business transaction is between me and Samsung/whatever vendor I am buying from.

View attachment 270034

Samsung kids wants access to my contacts as well. Again, why? I have installed, then uninstalled a bunch of apps once I see what they are requesting access to. This is insane. I have now started to go back and look at the permissions for every app on my phone.

View attachment 270035

This is something I also have an issue with, especially coming over from iOS. No app should be able to interfere with OS core functions or if it does, you should be able to make the decision whether or not to grant access.

If permission is granted to ANY core OS function, a final warning popup should appear to make you well aware that instability, lag, security compromise, etc could occur.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This is something I also have an issue with, especially coming over from iOS. No app should be able to interfere with OS core functions or if it does, you should be able to make the decision whether or not to grant access.

If permission is granted to ANY core OS function, a final warning popup should appear to make you well aware that instability, lag, security compromise, etc could occur.
For the record, if the same app exists on iOS (Same developer) and the features are exactly the same, then Apple deemed it worthwhile to give the app access to the same things it's asking for on Android. The only difference is here, you are the one deciding to grant permissions. On iOS, Apple reviews it themselves. Basically if Apple thinks it's ok, you don't get to make the decision or not to grant access.

An example would be Facebook Messenger. On Android it requests access to SMS which you can deny. On iOS it also has a feature to intercept SMS, and AFAIK you can't remove that access permission. You can just stop the app from importing the SMS.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 270034

View attachment 270035

For Samsung Pay, I can understand the body sensors permission. Many permissions are lumped together, and fingerprints and body sensors are probably lumped together. SMS, Contacts, Storage and Camera.....I don't understand why those are required.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
For Samsung Pay, I can understand the body sensors permission. Many permissions are lumped together, and fingerprints and body sensors are probably lumped together. SMS, Contacts, Storage and Camera.....I don't understand why those are required.
Contacts maybe you can share points?

Storage and camera are for QR codes and the like. Maybe you got sent an image of a QR code or need to scan one.

I suppose SMS permission is needed if someone sent you an MMS of a QR code.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Contacts maybe you can share points?

Storage and camera are for QR codes and the like. Maybe you got sent an image of a QR code or need to scan one.

I suppose SMS permission is needed if someone sent you an MMS of a QR code.

Maybe. But since this is a payment application, I would think that adding more hooks can introduce more ways for hacks to happen?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If an app requests too many permissions that it makes no sense to have, it doesn't get installed on my phone. I've had one app refuse to install because I wouldn't give it permission to use the mic. I deleted it, it didn't need the mic for any reason that I could tell.

b.grdner

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. For instance, I just got rid of Pen Up (Coloring) because it refused to work without access to my contacts.

The pen up permissions for Contacts is so you can share the picture you colored. If you don't think you'll be sharing any pictures I would think you can deny that one after it's installed (via application permissions).

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Paranoia at its best... You think an app dev would open itself up to a class action law suit? Have you ever heard of anyone being taken advantage of by an app?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85