07-06-2019 02:54 PM
64 123
tools
    Why do apps request permission to things they don't need? Samsung Pay wants access to data about my vital signs? What the hell for? It also wants access to my contacts, why? The business transaction is between me and Samsung/whatever vendor I am buying from.

Apps requesting too much permission-samsung-pay.jpg

Samsung kids wants access to my contacts as well. Again, why? I have installed, then uninstalled a bunch of apps once I see what they are requesting access to. This is insane. I have now started to go back and look at the permissions for every app on my phone.

Apps requesting too much permission-samsung-kids.jpg
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-30-2017 08:14 PM
    Doesn't the vital signs permission cover fingerprints?
    boudicca00 and WalkingHorse like this.
    09-30-2017 08:20 PM
    I thought you could pick and choose what permissions you want an app to have.
    09-30-2017 08:59 PM
    That's very possible.
    09-30-2017 09:29 PM
    I thought you could pick and choose what permissions you want an app to have.
    You can, but some (maybe most?) apps won't function at all if you don't allow all of the permissions it is requesting.
    srvctec likes this.
    09-30-2017 09:29 PM
    You can, but some (maybe most?) apps won't function at all if you don't allow all of the permissions it is requesting.
    I usually see how an app acts without permission(s) I'm not comfortable allowing and if it works I keep it. If not, I find something else without such invasive permissions.
    09-30-2017 09:34 PM
    I usually see how an app acts without permission(s) I'm not comfortable allowing and if it works I keep it. If not, I find something else without such invasive permissions.
    Exactly. For instance, I just got rid of Pen Up (Coloring) because it refused to work without access to my contacts.
    srvctec likes this.
    09-30-2017 09:51 PM
    Yup. I kill all permissions in all apps and grant them on a needs basis (if at all).
    09-30-2017 10:08 PM
    Not sure, wouldn't that be more along the lines of biometric rather than vitals?
    09-30-2017 11:36 PM
    This. It was all or nothing.
    09-30-2017 11:37 PM
    Why do apps request permission to things they don't need? Samsung Pay wants access to data about my vital signs? What the hell for? It also wants access to my contacts, why? The business transaction is between me and Samsung/whatever vendor I am buying from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samsung pay.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	270034

Samsung kids wants access to my contacts as well. Again, why? I have installed, then uninstalled a bunch of apps once I see what they are requesting access to. This is insane. I have now started to go back and look at the permissions for every app on my phone.

Name:	Samsung kids.jpg 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	270035
    This is something I also have an issue with, especially coming over from iOS. No app should be able to interfere with OS core functions or if it does, you should be able to make the decision whether or not to grant access.

If permission is granted to ANY core OS function, a final warning popup should appear to make you well aware that instability, lag, security compromise, etc could occur.
    10-01-2017 08:40 AM
    This is something I also have an issue with, especially coming over from iOS. No app should be able to interfere with OS core functions or if it does, you should be able to make the decision whether or not to grant access.

If permission is granted to ANY core OS function, a final warning popup should appear to make you well aware that instability, lag, security compromise, etc could occur.
    For the record, if the same app exists on iOS (Same developer) and the features are exactly the same, then Apple deemed it worthwhile to give the app access to the same things it's asking for on Android. The only difference is here, you are the one deciding to grant permissions. On iOS, Apple reviews it themselves. Basically if Apple thinks it's ok, you don't get to make the decision or not to grant access.

An example would be Facebook Messenger. On Android it requests access to SMS which you can deny. On iOS it also has a feature to intercept SMS, and AFAIK you can't remove that access permission. You can just stop the app from importing the SMS.
    10-01-2017 10:21 AM
    This is always something I've never cared about... Why do you even care?
    10-01-2017 12:39 PM
    I've always limited app permissions on each new phone prior to activating the new phone
    10-01-2017 04:28 PM

Name:	samsung pay.jpg 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	270034

Name:	Samsung kids.jpg 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	270035
    For Samsung Pay, I can understand the body sensors permission. Many permissions are lumped together, and fingerprints and body sensors are probably lumped together. SMS, Contacts, Storage and Camera.....I don't understand why those are required.
    10-02-2017 10:20 AM
    For Samsung Pay, I can understand the body sensors permission. Many permissions are lumped together, and fingerprints and body sensors are probably lumped together. SMS, Contacts, Storage and Camera.....I don't understand why those are required.
    Contacts maybe you can share points?

Storage and camera are for QR codes and the like. Maybe you got sent an image of a QR code or need to scan one.

I suppose SMS permission is needed if someone sent you an MMS of a QR code.
    10-02-2017 10:35 AM
    Contacts maybe you can share points?

Storage and camera are for QR codes and the like. Maybe you got sent an image of a QR code or need to scan one.

I suppose SMS permission is needed if someone sent you an MMS of a QR code.
    Maybe. But since this is a payment application, I would think that adding more hooks can introduce more ways for hacks to happen?
    10-02-2017 10:44 AM
    If an app requests too many permissions that it makes no sense to have, it doesn't get installed on my phone. I've had one app refuse to install because I wouldn't give it permission to use the mic. I deleted it, it didn't need the mic for any reason that I could tell.
    10-02-2017 05:19 PM
    Exactly. For instance, I just got rid of Pen Up (Coloring) because it refused to work without access to my contacts.
    The pen up permissions for Contacts is so you can share the picture you colored. If you don't think you'll be sharing any pictures I would think you can deny that one after it's installed (via application permissions).
    10-02-2017 05:52 PM
    Paranoia at its best... You think an app dev would open itself up to a class action law suit? Have you ever heard of anyone being taken advantage of by an app?
    10-02-2017 05:58 PM
    No app should ever require all permissions to function. None.
    10-02-2017 06:15 PM
    This is always something I've never cared about... Why do you even care?
    Because I do. If you don't, good for you.
    TechnologyTwitt likes this.
    10-02-2017 08:20 PM
    Paranoia at its best... You think an app dev would open itself up to a class action law suit? Have you ever heard of anyone being taken advantage of by an app?
    I'm not inclined to agree that it's paranoia. An app developer from another country may not be held to litigation from another one.

To illustrate a different point....let's take a flashlight app. And let's say that flashlight app has permission to the camera, phone identity, web access, contacts, read and modify USB storage, and keep device from sleeping. Don't these sound excessive?
    10-02-2017 08:25 PM
    Plenty of app developers have tried in the past. Just do a Google search.
    10-02-2017 08:29 PM
    Yes
    10-02-2017 08:52 PM
64 123