Thinking of purchasing the Note 8 but leery of Samsung devices

terryh215

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It looks like a beautiful phone but I’m leery of Samsung devices. Everyone I’ve ever owned has always eventually had scrolling issues in apps like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others. They always jerk when I scroll.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It looks like a beautiful phone but I’m leery of Samsung devices. Everyone I’ve ever owned has always eventually had scrolling issues in apps like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others. They always jerk when I scroll.
Hmm. I have Samsung S5 that's just as fast as my iphones.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have seen what you mean in previous devices. Haven't seen it really on my note 8. Every once in a while facebook will act up but the phone is smooth. Heck I've had my iPhone 7 plus lag more than this phone.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally haven't had that issue on a samsung phone in a few years, and it was usually caused by too much bloat being installed by the user. Themes, launchers, 3rd party keyboards, etc.

I worked at Verizon 2012 to 2016 and having sold and handled thousands of phones I have no reason to believe Samsung lags more than other brands. The old TouchWiz glitched out and had to be reset occasionally, but other phones had their issues as well.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the Note 3, lagged after a while.. Upgraded to Note 5, loved this phone, very little, if no lag and I'm a heavy app user. Hands on Note 8 for a few days and I purposely leave most of my apps running, including the stream heavy Facebook. No lag. Loving this phone..
6GB ram in this baby.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've used Samsung devices for 8 years and never had one lag on me. My sister did though and on examination of her phones it was chock full of random apps and themes, multiple keyboards, etc. Basically she forgot to uninstall anything that didn't have overt app icons and they're just there. Occasionslly updating or pulling ads in the background using up CPU cycles but to no use. I'm not saying that's you. I'm just saying that's just the case I saw.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Samsung phones always had janky scrolling and animations in the past. Even my s7 edge is noticably laggy compared to my v20. However, my brother has the note 8 and the first thing i said after playing with it for a while was "holy crap it actually doesn't lag" lol. I think you'll be pleased with the performance of the note no matter what phone you're coming from.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
What Samsung phones have you had? I've had the Galaxy S, Galaxy S3, Note 3, Note 5 and now Note 8. Last one that lagged noticeably was the Note 3

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
As a extremely heavy user I can say that lag is no where to be found on the note 8. It a super fast device and has never failed me yet.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Same, no issues here. Saw some on my N7 and S7E, then got better when I went to the V20. But the N8 is better than all 3.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
You could go to a carrier store or BestBuy to play around with it and test it out. It is a super smooth phone. You could also buy it and give it a try and return it within 14 days if you don't like it. It may end up costing you a restocking fee, but at least then you'll know if you'd like it.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Every Samsung that I’ve had (from the S4 to the S8) has lagged given some time. I wouldn’t rule out lag on the Note 8 until a couple of months have passed. My S8 (now sold) took maybe 2 months before it started.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Expect the occasional lag and stutters. It's much more prevalent than on a Pixel/Nexus or iPhone.

I have the S8 and it lags at times for simple things like opening messages or phone or camera. Waiting for my Note 8, but I do expect the occasional issues after the initial period.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Expect the occasional lag and stutters. It's much more prevalent than on a Pixel/Nexus or iPhone.

I have the S8 and it lags at times for simple things like opening messages or phone or camera. Waiting for my Note 8, but I do expect the occasional issues after the initial period.
My note 8 has not lagged once.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

My wife's, son's nor mine have any lag or stutter.

Neither do our S8 plus.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will be that prevalent on the Note8.

XDA did an article and concluded that unlike past Samsung phones, this one actually does offer very solid real-world performance, keeping up quite well with a OnePlus 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer