Notification delay

diagoro

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this over the past few days. When waking up my phone shows zero notifications. But after a few minutes they start populating. It's as though the phone was asleep until I activated it.

It's likely the reason the battery only loses a few percentage points of power over night. But wondering if there's a setting. More concerned about messages, or important notifications.

kshaw0317

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
I noticed this over the past few days. When waking up my phone shows zero notifications. But after a few minutes they start populating. It's as though the phone was asleep until I activated it.

It's likely the reason the battery only loses a few percentage points of power over night. But wondering if there's a setting. More concerned about messages, or important notifications.
Do you have it set to sleep?

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Mine is doing this as well, particularly for email.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Are you using Wi-Fi?
Could be Wi-Fi power saving mode enabled, this won't stop phonecalls/ messages, just internet based apps such as email, Twitter etc

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

This is an Android feature to save battery it will not prevent phone calls and text messages from coming through if you'd like to receive notifications from other apps while you are sleeping, which I don't understand why you would necessarily, you can make them a higher priority... Personally I like the feature as I don't get Disturbed in the middle of the night and as soon as I wake up and grab my phone it catches up on everything and that's perfectly fine with me

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
This is an Android feature to save battery it will not prevent phone calls and text messages from coming through if you'd like to receive notifications from other apps while you are sleeping, which I don't understand why you would necessarily, you can make them a higher priority... Personally I like the feature as I don't get Disturbed in the middle of the night and as soon as I wake up and grab my phone it catches up on everything and that's perfectly fine with me

The OP did not say anything about when they are asleep. It's the phone going into sleep mode.

Try looking at the battery optimization settings. This is the instructions for the S8, but it should work for the Note as well.

1: go into settings, search for "apps" and click into it.

2: once inside "apps," hit the three dots on the upper right corner, go into "special access."

3: once inside special access, go to "optimize battery usage."

4: from here, tap on the dropdown menu saying that says "apps not optimized" and switch to "all apps."

5: once all your phone's apps are shown, find the apps you want to receive notifications as they come through, and tap on the switch to turn it off.

These instructions are from a Forbes article. Also, if this doesn't work, I've read suggestions about making sure that wifi is off when the phone is sleeping. You can find that setting in the Advanced section of your wifi settings.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The OP did not say anything about when they are asleep. It's the phone going into sleep mode.

Try looking at the battery optimization settings. This is the instructions for the S8, but it should work for the Note as well.

1: go into settings, search for "apps" and click into it.

2: once inside "apps," hit the three dots on the upper right corner, go into "special access."

3: once inside special access, go to "optimize battery usage."

4: from here, tap on the dropdown menu saying that says "apps not optimized" and switch to "all apps."

5: once all your phone's apps are shown, find the apps you want to receive notifications as they come through, and tap on the switch to turn it off.

These instructions are from a Forbes article. Also, if this doesn't work, I've read suggestions about making sure that wifi is off when the phone is sleeping. You can find that setting in the Advanced section of your wifi settings.
He clearly stated when waking up so I assumed he was talking about when he's first waking up in the morning after sleeping at night

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The reason I figured the problem was when he/she wakes up their phone is because I had the exact same problem. Turning off the battery optimization seemed to fix it.

diagoro

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The reason I figured the problem was when he/she wakes up their phone is because I had the exact same problem. Turning off the battery optimization seemed to fix it.

Apologies for the late response. The lack of a comma confused some of you. I meant when I myself wake up, not the phone itself.

anon(376224)

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
This is sort of along the same thread, I think. So my phone goes into do not disturb mode from 9:30pm until 7am daily. Once it comes out of do not disturb mode, I get like 12-13 notification sounds at once. I find that annoying. I can see the notifications, I don't need an audible notification. Is there any way to disable that? To be clear, I want to keep the notification sound to when the actual notification comes in. If any come in during do not disturb, I DO NOT want those audible notifications after coming out of do not disturb. Does that make sense? I doubt there's a way to distinguish it, but I have to ask. Mostly because I sleep in well after 7am on the weekends and it's a rude awakening to hear 12-13 notifications all in a row while sound asleep. I know... nitpicky.
Thanks!

mbaverizon

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
ok get notifications from my email ok I dont get them from facebook or messenger stuff like that but it seems I dont get notifications from anything I move to my sd card??? also what's wrong with the security of this phone if I hit the power button and then swipe to the right it opens up automatically??? NOT GOOD and the retina security only works every now and then???

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
This is sort of along the same thread, I think. So my phone goes into do not disturb mode from 9:30pm until 7am daily. Once it comes out of do not disturb mode, I get like 12-13 notification sounds at once. I find that annoying. I can see the notifications, I don't need an audible notification. Is there any way to disable that? To be clear, I want to keep the notification sound to when the actual notification comes in. If any come in during do not disturb, I DO NOT want those audible notifications after coming out of do not disturb. Does that make sense? I doubt there's a way to distinguish it, but I have to ask. Mostly because I sleep in well after 7am on the weekends and it's a rude awakening to hear 12-13 notifications all in a row while sound asleep. I know... nitpicky.
Thanks!

That is strange. I use DND mode and never get a rush of notifications when DND turns off.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
... also what's wrong with the security of this phone if I hit the power button and then swipe to the right it opens up automatically??? NOT GOOD and the retina security only works every now and then???

That means that it isn't locked the screen has just timed out and is off.

mbaverizon

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Then isnt that a security issue then if my phone times out and screen is black someone comes along and picks my phone up and swipes to the right and it unlocks there in my phone

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Then isnt that a security issue then if my phone times out and screen is black someone comes along and picks my phone up and swipes to the right and it unlocks there in my phone
of course, but what it means to me is that you have to change something about your lock method. something is allowing that bypass. when mine is locked, it is locked and nothing I do, short of logging in, changes that.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance