05-19-2018 06:24 PM
29 12
tools
    I ordered a usb-c to hdmi,etc output box. I am working to put a panel into my car.
    I want to hook the phone up to this panel via the adapter. So, can I output the entire display on the phone out the usb-c port to the hdmi connector to hook to my hdmi video monitor I am putting in my car?
    10-02-2017 09:49 AM
    So we are NOT talking Android Auto here? You basically want to use your phone on the monitor's screen? It COULD work, but there are a couple considerations. Do you want touch to work? If so you need a touch screen panel, also you need to power the panel so that means getting in to your car's electrical, which hopefully you can do. The phone will not power the monitor/panel, you'll need a power source. Otherwise I THINK it will work. Sorta a homebrew Android Auto. Hopefully others who have done a similar project can chime in.

I KNOW there are panel/monitors you can buy that support output from android (and iOS). I'm not sure if touch functions though. BUT maybe you can get around that via just touching on the phone itself as you need too?
    10-02-2017 10:19 AM
    This one specifically says it can be used with the Galaxy S8 so I suppose it works on the Note 8 as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6001041
    pkcable likes this.
    10-02-2017 10:19 AM
    This one specifically says it can be used with the Galaxy S8 so I suppose it works on the Note 8 as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6001043
    If it supports the S8, it supports the Note 8 too. They just don't list it, since it's so new, most likely.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    10-02-2017 10:21 AM
    If it supports the S8, it supports the Note 8 too. They just don't list it, since it's so new, most likely.
    I assumed as much.
    pkcable likes this.
    10-02-2017 10:29 AM
    @h2ofun You should edit your profile also I bet you don't have that 8830 anymore. Unless it's in a drawer somewhere! (I'm a BlackBerry guy myself! Having owned many from the 7290 to the KEYone!)
    10-02-2017 10:33 AM
    Nope, got an older car so no android auto. And android auto limits you to applications. I did something in the past with a monitor and portable computer, but took a lot of space. Now want to try with the phone.

So here is what I am trying to see if I can get to work. I ordered one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6001189

This says I can connect to my phone via the usb-c port. I have hooked up, at the moment, an AC computer computer. I have hooked up an inverter to the DC in the car, and plugged the monitor into the inverter. I have ordered a hdmi to vga cable that I plan to plug into the monitor.

I also plan to plug in a DC charger with my n8 cable and plug into the usb-c port on the adapter, which should allow me to be charging the phone. I guess I could also plug a mouse into the usb port of the adapter, but not sure if any value to this, or it works.

I should have all the parts in tuesday to try.

This is why I am asking does the USB-c port sent out the entire display so it gets displayed on my monitor I connected to the HDMI output.

Yep, my try at a homebrew Android auto without any of the restrictions.

So, I am using a 13 inch monitor. Would love to find one that is DC input so I can get rid of the inverter. And, are there monitors "compatible" with these phones?

If this works, would be very cool to see my Google maps working with something I and the boss can both see at the same time.

So, do you think this might work?
    10-02-2017 12:25 PM
    10-02-2017 04:18 PM
    Since I am just trying to connect to native HDMI out, will see. Supposed to get the parts tomorrow. Will let folks know if it works
    10-02-2017 05:43 PM
    Looks like the note 8 is not supported?

MHL® – Devices
    10-02-2017 06:16 PM
    I used a usb-c to hdmi adapter and was able to connect it to a display and it mirrors the whole device fine. I used this to show a presentation.

It's actually a usb-c dongle that has usb 3 ports, hdmi and microsd/sd card slots. I use it for the MacBook Pro.
    10-02-2017 07:39 PM
    So, nothing special you have to enable to mirror the entire screen? Cool, hope this works. Will be better than android auto
    pkcable likes this.
    10-02-2017 09:12 PM
    For sure let us know how you make out with this really cool sounding DYI!
    10-02-2017 09:59 PM
    So what are you doing step by step? Can you display on a monitor?
    10-03-2017 08:00 PM
    I have connected my adapter up to the N8, and it outputs directly to an HDMI device, no sw needed.
    It also outputted via an hdmi to vga cable to a PC monitor directly. Very cool!!
    pkcable likes this.
    10-03-2017 09:06 PM
    You GOT to provide pictures when you are done! I want to see that bad boy installed!
    10-04-2017 10:06 AM
    will do. It will be my android auto on steroids.
    strikeIII likes this.
    10-04-2017 10:43 AM
    What are you going to use to navigate the device. A small touch pad mouse? Or are you just going to pick up the phone whenever you need to do something? You can also use a tiny Bluetooth Keyboard with a track pad as well.
    10-04-2017 11:23 AM
    My first goal is to just be able to have google maps being displayed, so my wife does not have to keep giving me directions. I will try to hook up a mouse to just see if it works. So my only real going is to
    be able to link the display of my phone to a large video display in the car, without the limitations that android auto places on only a few apps working.
    10-04-2017 11:28 AM
    My first goal is to just be able to have google maps being displayed, so my wife does not have to keep giving me directions. I will try to hook up a mouse to just see if it works. So my only real going is to
    be able to link the display of my phone to a large video display in the car, without the limitations that android auto places on only a few apps working.
    I just edited my earlier post, but you can also just use a tiny Bluetooth Keyboard with a track pad. Their pretty cheap on Amazon.
    10-04-2017 11:29 AM
    Does the phone accept a charge when you have HDMI connected? I was going to go down similar path, but wanted to keep phone plugged in for charging. I have AC adapter, so could use wireless charger, but it's not likely to stay on. So i end up just using one of the many tables I have laying around and just hotspot the phone. Logged into google, everything is available for maps and chrome that I searched on my phone.
    10-04-2017 01:42 PM
    I just setup a test setup. This is SO cool. I have my note 8 connected to my usb-c to 3 output box, 20 buck on amazon. I have the hdmi connected to a tv panel, nice large screen. I have the power plug for charging plugged into the USB-c port. And I just hooked up a usb mouse. It comes up and says dex on the screen. And now I can use the mouse to fully control the phone. This is the ultimate way to use the note, with out having to buy dex stuff, and I can hook up for my car use without any of the limitations of android auto. Will post some pictures when I get another phone since mine is connected to the setup. THis is SO SO cool!!!!!
    strikeIII and pkcable like this.
    10-04-2017 02:52 PM
    Awesome, good to hear it's working good for you. A lot of people don't realize how much you can do with the usb-c port other than just charging and data transfer.
    10-04-2017 03:38 PM
    Yep, which is why I wanted to buy a new phone until it had USB-c. Been looking around to see if I could find a small 15 inch tv panel with touch screen to try, but no luck so far.
    10-04-2017 03:58 PM
    Man, I am excited. I got it working in the car. Android auto on steroids. Whatever is on my phone is on the 13 inch panel. One picture is my google maps program running. The other is me watching a video of me on my bike. This has to be the coolest thing about this phone for me! As well as life360 circle with the family!! Plus the phone is being charged at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Can entire video screen be outputted via usb-c to hdmi?-20171007_125402.jpg   Can entire video screen be outputted via usb-c to hdmi?-20171007_125458.jpg  
    pkcable likes this.
    10-07-2017 04:06 PM
29 12