all about the Keyboard

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I like Swiftkey and am very used to the layout - the ability to customize what shows on the main keyboard is the main attraction to me. I will not say the predictions are good, they stink - it absolutely refuses to add the word 'hope', continually enters 'hour', you can't put We at the beginning of a sentence, it will only be E, and so on and so on. I've been on their forum and predictions 'broke' a year or so ago and they can't seem to get them back. I put up with it because I can pretty up the keyboard and arrange it the way I want.
20171010_073947.jpg

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Blackberry Keyboard for me. Flicking words up from letters, and swiping back across to delete last word. (It also has swipe typing option, which I don't use).
Only downloadable via a BlackBerry Manager apk made by the user Conite from Crackberry forums.)

Actually it's @Cobalt232 ;) Here's the thread....

https://forums.crackberry.com/andro...-any-android-device-no-root-required-1059855/

I highly recommend the BlackBerry Keyboard also, it's what I use on all my Android devices. :)

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
My main complaint...friggin auto correct. It corrects words that aren't wrong, replaces words that are used correctly, and suggests words that do not fit.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
With GBoard, has anyone figured out a way to get the text dictation microphone icon somewhere on the keyboard if you turn off the suggestion bar, where it normally sits on the far right? That's the one thing that is keeping me from using GBoard. I hate the distraction of the suggestion bar, so I want it turned off, yet I use dictation for sending texts almost exclusively. But I can find no option to have the mic icon show up anywhere else on the keyboard when the suggestion bar is turned off.

Last edited:

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
The issue I found with Gboard is that you can't use the S-Pen to write (the bubble with the "T" shows up but I can't click on it and hand-write) I can do that with the Samsung Keyboard. Anyone else experiencing this?

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I love the keyboard on the iPhone and its auto-corrects is more precise than android IMO. But I'm currently using the GBoard, which I like... but i make more errors on there than the iPhone Keyboard... :(

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Swiftkey is a gift from the God's! It's predictive power has the genius to power a starship to Mars. And I really like it, too.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
What don't you like about the stock Samsung keyboard?
Why do you prefer Gboard over Swiftkey??
Thanks.

Typing this on the Samsung keyboard.

I used swiftkey when it was a paid app. Recently uses started to lag a lot, like when doing app and Google search on Nova. It also suggests words which I specifically removes from its dictionary.

Gboard is more sensible with its suggestions and lag free. The emoji button is easily accessible as the inbuilt Google search option is very useful for me.

Samsung keyboard autocorrect & suggestions are horrible. The amount of corrections I had to make on this reply was just too many to use for regular typing. There is no quick search option and voice dictation isn't great either.

So, it's gboard for me. I even used it on my iPhone and liked it better than stock iPhone keyboard

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I re-downloaded Gboard and it seems to be working now, thanks for letting me know that this is not normal. I prefer Gboard over Samsung one because of the 10-key number button.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if anyone besides me using the Samsung keyboard keeps messing up hitting space bar (with left hand) and keep hitting the comma key to the left of it instead when trying to type at brisk pace?? I end up with a lot of commas in my sentences lol.

Of course any new phone has a learning curve and get use to things like different and it’s probably the new phone width because last phone was much less wider.

Wish i could reprogram the layout of that row and I’d shift the space bar one place to left moving that comma key to the right of space bar next to the period key.

The predictive text on Samsung keyboard really is bad as people have mentioned so I’m probably going to go to swiftkey (forgot if swiftkey let’s you customize that row) but I’m trying to give stock a chance.

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I tried SwiftKey for 6 months or so and was underwhelmed versus the stock Samsung keyboard (including prediction).
I now will try Gboard.
Anyway on Gboard to get a square outline around each key?

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Can you give a step-by-step specific instruction on how to do that - put a square outline around each key?
Thanks.

Ok, I figured it out. Under 'Theme', once selected a theme, there is a toggle to get the key borders.
How is the typing prediction on Gboard??
I thought the stock samsung was as good or better than SwiftKey, which was surprising as many hailed SwiftKey prediction as superior.