Is Bixby really that bad?

seanmwaple

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Just bought Note 8s for me and my wife and they will be here tomorrow. We both have S7 edges and both use (me more than her) google assistant quite frequently.

Is bixby that bad? Can I turn off bixby and run google assistant? Can you remap the bixby button to go to google assistant? Will google assistant open from the lock screen or the always on display screen unlike the S7?

Thanks.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Jmo,
Bixby is like that little puppy you teach who becomes the big dog who just runs things.
Patience and practice and it will be a valuable asset.
Having Samsung work on remapping the Bixby button, is something that has to be desired, per owner.
I say leave Bixby alone, others see otherwise.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've disabled it once again using package disabler. I here that I keep pressing the bixby button instead of the volume down button AND I hate that when I tried Bixby, I have to hold the button on to say something. I just don't like the way it's set up. I don't even use Google Assistant.

missionsparta

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
ok, answer me this about Bixby...if you tell it to text a person, it always uses the person's last name in the text. Example "Text John Smith Are you home yet?", will result in sending John Smith a text that says "Smith are you home yet?". How are things like thus not fixed yet?

Old g

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
actually bixby is pretty good don't listen to the naysayers . it's is design to integrate with your phone an too use voice command try it before you just automatically disable it

Old g

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
ok, answer me this about Bixby...if you tell it to text a person, it always uses the person's last name in the text. Example "Text John Smith Are you home yet?", will result in sending John Smith a text that says "Smith are you home yet?". How are things like thus not fixed yet?

I have zero issue with text if you use the proper name in correlations with the text you shouldn't have any problems and you speak clearly

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I never use it, have killed it without any package disabler and it never bothers me. It's also blocked by firewall.
I sit around quietly and tap the screen, I'd feel silly talking to a phone... And everyone nearby would hear what I'm doing...
Some ppl love it tho, so horses for courses

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I had disabled Bixby via the BK program but got curious and re-enabled it. You can use both Bixby and Google Assistant. They both are good at different things. I haven't played with Bixby enough to really teach it anything. But so far I've not been horribly disappointed with it.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I never use it, have killed it without any package disabler and it never bothers me. It's also blocked by firewall.
I sit around quietly and tap the screen, I'd feel silly talking to a phone... And everyone nearby would hear what I'm doing...
Some ppl love it tho, so horses for courses
I'm just now getting into setting various quick commands and learning how to efficiently use Bixby, but I don't think I'd ever try to use it when out in public. Aside from the fact that talking to your phone probably looks stupid, I'd imagine that with all the background noises going on, trying to use Bixby would be an exercise in futility.

I set up some quick commands so that the phone can automate several tasks at one time and I think things like that will be pretty useful. In it's current state it could never fully replace the need to physically hold and navigate your phone, but so far I'm digging what it's doing.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I have exactly the same problem.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm giving it a chance. It has issues sure, you would think after having s-voice for so long some of these things would've been working.

Samsung's Bixby can't initiate playing music with Samsung's music player, that's just bad.

Bixby can control device functions though, like restarting the phone, and toggle settings, and it does other assistant things like searching the internet, tell jokes (bad jokes, but still), gives weather forecast, game scores, etc.

The main reason I liked s-voice over google assistantwas because "ok google" sounds stupid, but with s-voice you could set it to respond to whatever you choose. I hope an update to Bixbybrings that back.

When people say they feel silly talking to their phone, it reminds me of when people refused to use bluetooth headsets for the same reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt