Note 8: DILEMMA

Bonesn

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Really, when it comes to the decision, it comes down to is it going to be worth all the trouble getting data from iphone to android. Now I know people will think I am a crazy Apple lover, which is definitely not the case. But when it comes to selecting phones, people sometimes forget jumping OS to OS is sometimes not that easy. Especially, going from Apple to Android. Apple makes it easy to go to iOS from Android. With iCloud, you have to do a lot of downloading, exporting and importing if you want your data. So my suggestion is can you live with out iOS features and are you willing to go through the hassle of getting your data? If you are, then definitely get the Note 8, it is an awesome phone. If your not willing to do the work, stay with Apple. In all reality, most phones have the same features.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I am fully aware this is a first world problem. But dang.. that Note 8!

I want one. I think.

I've back and forthed between iPhone and Android ever since the days of the HTC G1. And I was a Sammy boy from the S2 right through to the S5.

S6 and S7, couldn't quite sway me. And now, I have an iPhone 7 Plus. I tried the S8+ out a couple of times earlier this year, but I just couldn't fully commit.

And now I can't take my eyes off the Note 8.

I've been holding off to preorder the iPhone X for ages.. Got my pennies all saved up. I even got the Apple Watch 3 LTE to go with it. We're just weeks away from pre-orders and yet, I just can't get the Note 8 out of my head. I've been researching it religiously.. on here, XDA.. Twitter, Instagram.. I think I've watched every YouTube review that exists. It just looks AMAZING.

The Gear S3 Frontier would be a worthy accompaniment too.

There's just the usual things that keep me from going to T-Mobile and screaming 'please take my money' - the big one is that feeling of nausea that I may crack the screen somehow. I know it's the same with Apple Care but I at least feel I am covered and could walk into the store and have it taken care of. Going to the Samsung repair centre here in LA is not fun.. but I know that's no reason!

It's also cheaper if I buy it online - if I get it direct from Samsung, they'll give me $200 for an old iPhone 5S. T-Mobile will only give me $48. But my experience of Samsung Customer Service has been dire every single time and I don't trust them not to screw it all up.
(And I'd have to wait a week and boy am I impatient!!)

Dunno if it would be better to go carrier or unlocked.. TMo bloat and branding isn't too bad and I wonder if it's optimised better for their services.

If I end up buying from TMo, they'll charge me $100 in restocking fees for the watch and phone if I change my mind. Of course I've played with them in store, but it's not the same when they're in Retail Mode.

As I say. First world problem! :);)

Honestly it sounds like you would enjoy the iPhone X more. The Note 8 is great though. I like it way more than my s8+ and that was/is a great phone.

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
How are you liking it so far? I'm coming from an iPhone 6s plus, have an iPad mini 4 and an iMac and I don't feel like I'm missing out at all by not having an iPhone. Never giving up this phone!

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I think you absolutely should go with the Note 8. I've had mine for a little over a month now and it's been great. You make a valid point about Apple Care, but in my opinion it's tough to make a decision based on a hypothetical, 'if I break my phone' scenario. If you get the iPhone and don't break it will you be disappointed? All that time you could have been wielding the Note 8 but didn't because you were afraid you might drop it?

For people on the iPhone/Note fence I'm always intrigued... The Note can do everything the iPhone can, well except iMessage I suppose, but the iPhone can't come close to doing what the Note can. Is iMessage that important to you, or are you locked into Apple everything with Macs and iPads, etc?

I think there's also something to be said for being able to walk into a store and leave with the item you want. I love the instant gratification. I pre-ordered mine and constantly checking the FedEx tracking was so annoying but I just couldn't stop myself... Ha. You're right, serious first world problems.
iMessage has a lot of apple users by the balls, that I can definitely tell you.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I am fully aware this is a first world problem. But dang.. that Note 8!

I want one. I think.

I've back and forthed between iPhone and Android ever since the days of the HTC G1. And I was a Sammy boy from the S2 right through to the S5.

S6 and S7, couldn't quite sway me. And now, I have an iPhone 7 Plus. I tried the S8+ out a couple of times earlier this year, but I just couldn't fully commit.

And now I can't take my eyes off the Note 8.

I've been holding off to preorder the iPhone X for ages.. Got my pennies all saved up. I even got the Apple Watch 3 LTE to go with it. We're just weeks away from pre-orders and yet, I just can't get the Note 8 out of my head. I've been researching it religiously.. on here, XDA.. Twitter, Instagram.. I think I've watched every YouTube review that exists. It just looks AMAZING.

The Gear S3 Frontier would be a worthy accompaniment too.

There's just the usual things that keep me from going to T-Mobile and screaming 'please take my money' - the big one is that feeling of nausea that I may crack the screen somehow. I know it's the same with Apple Care but I at least feel I am covered and could walk into the store and have it taken care of. Going to the Samsung repair centre here in LA is not fun.. but I know that's no reason!

It's also cheaper if I buy it online - if I get it direct from Samsung, they'll give me $200 for an old iPhone 5S. T-Mobile will only give me $48. But my experience of Samsung Customer Service has been dire every single time and I don't trust them not to screw it all up.
(And I'd have to wait a week and boy am I impatient!!)

Dunno if it would be better to go carrier or unlocked.. TMo bloat and branding isn't too bad and I wonder if it's optimised better for their services.

If I end up buying from TMo, they'll charge me $100 in restocking fees for the watch and phone if I change my mind. Of course I've played with them in store, but it's not the same when they're in Retail Mode.

As I say. First world problem! :);)

If you're sold already on the Apple watch you'll just be sad if u don't have an iPhone. Trust me.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I did not have the experience you described.

IMO, the iphone 7 Plus is slower than the Note 8. In fact, after using the Note 8 for 2 weeks, and then attempting to use my iPhone again, the animations on the iPhone were annoying. (And I cannot stand iOS 11 - but that's another story).

I don't experience any lag on my Note 8 and I have NEVER said that about any Samsung phone I've owned in the past - including the S8+.

I am truly impressed with the performance of the Note 8. I am not at all excited for the iPhone X. I thought about buying it because I am a cellphone junky, but I am seriously re-thinking that decision.

That's strange. My iPhone 7 plus is WAY faster than my note 8. I mean just look at the lag on the stock keyboard.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
My similar situation, except I've been mostly iPhone all these years. But the Note 8 is the first Android phone that for me personally, matches iOS devices. It's as smooth and stable as an iPhone and it blows the iPhones out of the water in features. This version of Android seems pretty solid so far.

I have an iPhone 8+ 256GB and and Series 3 LTE watch. I also have a Note 8 and a Frontier Gear 3. I pretty much have all the same apps on both platforms and can switch at will.

While I still believe iOS apps are just better overall, the truth is, the iPhone X (and the 8+) just underwhelmed. One of my big things is storage, I like lots of it for media. And, disappointingly, the iPhone 8/X did not match the new iPad Pro in its 512GB storage, despite a single chip solution being available. Meanwhile, my Note 8 has a 400GB Sandisk microSD card in it. ANd that S-Pen is pretty handy.

And I hate to say it, but the Frontier S3 blows the Apple watch out of the water. First, a round watch seems less geeky to me. Plus, the front face dial destroys that little side wheel, which I find a pain to use. I think the round face just shows more info and the text seems bigger. I enjoy using the Frontier much more than the Apple watch.

I'll still get the X (so I guess Apple still wins), but I think for the first time in years, the Android phone, Note 8, will be my primary. Apple just didn't do enough this year to shake things up.

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Welp! I made the choice to try again. I didn't buy used this time as I didn't want to chance it being blacklisted again.
I bought an $80 lg g4 online that I will use for the $300 Samsung trade in promotion.
I also had a BB gift card and used it to pick up an open box gear S3 frontier for $245. Yay! New toys should arrive tomorrow

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
My similar situation, except I've been mostly iPhone all these years. But the Note 8 is the first Android phone that for me personally, matches iOS devices. It's as smooth and stable as an iPhone and it blows the iPhones out of the water in features. This version of Android seems pretty solid so far.

I have an iPhone 8+ 256GB and and Series 3 LTE watch. I also have a Note 8 and a Frontier Gear 3. I pretty much have all the same apps on both platforms and can switch at will.

While I still believe iOS apps are just better overall, the truth is, the iPhone X (and the 8+) just underwhelmed. One of my big things is storage, I like lots of it for media. And, disappointingly, the iPhone 8/X did not match the new iPad Pro in its 512GB storage, despite a single chip solution being available. Meanwhile, my Note 8 has a 400GB Sandisk microSD card in it. ANd that S-Pen is pretty handy.

And I hate to say it, but the Frontier S3 blows the Apple watch out of the water. First, a round watch seems less geeky to me. Plus, the front face dial destroys that little side wheel, which I find a pain to use. I think the round face just shows more info and the text seems bigger. I enjoy using the Frontier much more than the Apple watch.

I'll still get the X (so I guess Apple still wins), but I think for the first time in years, the Android phone, Note 8, will be my primary. Apple just didn't do enough this year to shake things up.

This is really interesting about the Watch. Why do you think it blows the Apple Watch out of the water? I don't really use that many apps on my watch so it's just for notifications but I do like being able to initiate new WhatsApp messages from the watch which I gather is an impossibility with the Gear, you can only reply to incoming messages.
Just curious as I will have to get one if i decide to keep my Note 8 (which arrives tomorrow!)
:)

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is really interesting about the Watch. Why do you think it blows the Apple Watch out of the water? I don't really use that many apps on my watch so it's just for notifications but I do like being able to initiate new WhatsApp messages from the watch which I gather is an impossibility with the Gear, you can only reply to incoming messages.
Just curious as I will have to get one if i decide to keep my Note 8 (which arrives tomorrow!)

My note 8 arrives tomorrow but I will have to pick it up after work as it requires a signature :(

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
The battery life for one thing is WAY better. Secondly I think the S3 as far as the build looks a lot nicer and more like a watch to begin with. I've owned both for lengthy time periods and id give the W to S3 for sure. Plus Samsung pay on it is just amazing

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Also I'll second that the rotating bezel destroys the digital crown.