10-17-2017 09:39 PM
60 123
tools
    I am fully aware this is a first world problem. But dang.. that Note 8!

I want one. I think.

I've back and forthed between iPhone and Android ever since the days of the HTC G1. And I was a Sammy boy from the S2 right through to the S5.

S6 and S7, couldn't quite sway me. And now, I have an iPhone 7 Plus. I tried the S8+ out a couple of times earlier this year, but I just couldn't fully commit.

And now I can't take my eyes off the Note 8.

I've been holding off to preorder the iPhone X for ages.. Got my pennies all saved up. I even got the Apple Watch 3 LTE to go with it. We're just weeks away from pre-orders and yet, I just can't get the Note 8 out of my head. I've been researching it religiously.. on here, XDA.. Twitter, Instagram.. I think I've watched every YouTube review that exists. It just looks AMAZING.

The Gear S3 Frontier would be a worthy accompaniment too.

There's just the usual things that keep me from going to T-Mobile and screaming 'please take my money' - the big one is that feeling of nausea that I may crack the screen somehow. I know it's the same with Apple Care but I at least feel I am covered and could walk into the store and have it taken care of. Going to the Samsung repair centre here in LA is not fun.. but I know that's no reason!

It's also cheaper if I buy it online - if I get it direct from Samsung, they'll give me $200 for an old iPhone 5S. T-Mobile will only give me $48. But my experience of Samsung Customer Service has been dire every single time and I don't trust them not to screw it all up.
    (And I'd have to wait a week and boy am I impatient!!)

Dunno if it would be better to go carrier or unlocked.. TMo bloat and branding isn't too bad and I wonder if it's optimised better for their services.

If I end up buying from TMo, they'll charge me $100 in restocking fees for the watch and phone if I change my mind. Of course I've played with them in store, but it's not the same when they're in Retail Mode.

As I say. First world problem!
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-10-2017 11:28 AM
    Wow I wish I had your problems
    10-10-2017 11:33 AM
    I know, right? I write this and don't recognise myself! But there are a lot of fellow geeks on here who I think can probably sympathise with my totally pathetic predicament. Lol
    aximtreo and stronggeek like this.
    10-10-2017 11:41 AM
    I think you absolutely should go with the Note 8. I've had mine for a little over a month now and it's been great. You make a valid point about Apple Care, but in my opinion it's tough to make a decision based on a hypothetical, 'if I break my phone' scenario. If you get the iPhone and don't break it will you be disappointed? All that time you could have been wielding the Note 8 but didn't because you were afraid you might drop it?

For people on the iPhone/Note fence I'm always intrigued... The Note can do everything the iPhone can, well except iMessage I suppose, but the iPhone can't come close to doing what the Note can. Is iMessage that important to you, or are you locked into Apple everything with Macs and iPads, etc?

I think there's also something to be said for being able to walk into a store and leave with the item you want. I love the instant gratification. I pre-ordered mine and constantly checking the FedEx tracking was so annoying but I just couldn't stop myself... Ha. You're right, serious first world problems.
    NYVET, jimd1050 and aximtreo like this.
    10-10-2017 11:52 AM
    Look at it this way. The iPhone X is a 1st Gen product. Who knows what it will be like, good or bad. The N8 is a highly refined version of an established product. As long as it doesn't explode you know what you're getting.
    10-10-2017 12:02 PM
    I think you absolutely should go with the Note 8. I've had mine for a little over a month now and it's been great. You make a valid point about Apple Care, but in my opinion it's tough to make a decision based on a hypothetical, 'if I break my phone' scenario. If you get the iPhone and don't break it will you be disappointed? All that time you could have been wielding the Note 8 but didn't because you were afraid you might drop it?

For people on the iPhone/Note fence I'm always intrigued... The Note can do everything the iPhone can, well except iMessage I suppose, but the iPhone can't come close to doing what the Note can. Is iMessage that important to you, or are you locked into Apple everything with Macs and iPads, etc?

I think there's also something to be said for being able to walk into a store and leave with the item you want. I love the instant gratification. I pre-ordered mine and constantly checking the FedEx tracking was so annoying but I just couldn't stop myself... Ha. You're right, serious first world problems.
    Totally on board with this. I'm glad I'm not the only one with that gratification issue. I preordered the S8+ from Samsung and they screwed it up. Delivery was due on launch day and even a week later, it hadn't shipped. I spent so much time on the phone being lied to by different people, it kinda soiled the experience.

iMessage is a draw for me - but it's not the end of the world. I'm a Brit living in the US, so communicating tends to be done over WhatsApp anyway for ease of use and cost.

I have an iPad which I love reading on. And a MacBook Pro. So there is a lot to be said for being able to respond to messages via the computer. But then again, WhatsApp web works well for that anyway.
    kj11 and aximtreo like this.
    10-10-2017 12:17 PM
    Look at it this way. The iPhone X is a 1st Gen product. Who knows what it will be like, good or bad. The N8 is a highly refined version of an established product. As long as it doesn't explode you know what you're getting.

This is true. First gen and expensive. But, y'know... shiny. Etc etc. Lol
    10-10-2017 12:18 PM
    I was on the same boat, but I decided to get the Note 8. So now I have an iPad 10.5 and Note 8, best of both worlds(in my opinion).
    jimd1050, aximtreo and Auronda40 like this.
    10-10-2017 12:19 PM
    N8 with no regrets. The iPx is getting less and less appealing for me. I have the gear s3 watch and to me vs the ones I had before including the apple watch, it is the best choice to go with.
    10-10-2017 01:38 PM
    Note 8 is a slightly upgraded S8+ with a stylus. If you didn't like the S8+ it's likely that you won't like the Note 8 for the same reason.
    10-10-2017 02:01 PM

I want one. I think.

I've back and forthed between iPhone and Android ever since the days of the HTC G1. And I was a Sammy boy from the S2 right through to the S5.

S6 and S7, couldn't quite sway me. And now, I have an iPhone 7 Plus. I tried the S8+ out a couple of times earlier this year, but I just couldn't fully commit.

I've been holding off to preorder the iPhone X for ages.. Got my pennies all saved up. I even got the Apple Watch 3 LTE to go with it. We're just weeks away from pre-orders and yet, I just can't get the Note 8 out of my head. I've been researching it religiously.. on here, XDA.. Twitter, Instagram.. I think I've watched every YouTube review that exists. It just looks AMAZING.

There's just the usual things that keep me from going to T-Mobile and screaming 'please take my money' - the big one is that feeling of nausea that I may crack the screen somehow. I know it's the same with Apple Care but I at least feel I am covered and could walk into the store and have it taken care of. Going to the Samsung repair centre here in LA is not fun.. but I know that's no reason!

It's also cheaper if I buy it online - if I get it direct from Samsung, they'll give me $200 for an old iPhone 5S. T-Mobile will only give me $48. But my experience of Samsung Customer Service has been dire every single time and I don't trust them not to screw it all up.

Dunno if it would be better to go carrier or unlocked.. TMo bloat and branding isn't too bad and I wonder if it's optimised better for their services.

If I end up buying from TMo, they'll charge me $100 in restocking fees for the watch and phone if I change my mind. Of course I've played with them in store, but it's not the same when they're in Retail Mode.

Hey, Samsung MAKES the screen for CrApple, so there's that, LOL. Go with a carrier version if there's ANY chance you'll want (or need to) use Wi-Fi calling, as the unlocked versions do NOT allow you to use this feature as it is a carrier-provided service (yes, even though you're using Wi-Fi). As for the bloatware...there's an app called 'BK Disabler' that acts as if you have root access (Samsung allowed their O/S to allow access to settings once only accessible with root), and let's you disable any and all bloatware your heart desires. Yes, it's still 'on' the phone, but it takes up hardly any space, so storage is not an issue, but after disabling whatever apps you want to disable, you won't see them, hear them or ever have to think about them ever again unless you enable them again, and they'll have absolutely no affect on anything again. And no, this is NOT like before where you find the app and select 'disable'...this totally disables it where you won't even SEE it to re-enable it without actually going into the BK app.

As for iPhone...one question nobody has yet answered, you'd be the first...why would anyone be ok with no expandable memory? Why wouldn't you want hours of music ON your device, accessible without needing to stream over data or Wi-Fi, and why would anyone be ok with relying on a cloud server to keep all your pics, vids, docs etc safe? Anyone even know where this server is? DO they have adequate fire protection systems? Adequate security? Backup systems? Do you really think they care as much about your kids pictures as you do? Your wedding pics? You're really ok with that?

And, if you're already familiar with Android, you know the customization options are endless...you ok with paying a grand for a device that doesn't let you, the end user, the same flexibility??? I guess I would liken it to paying $45,000 for a car with all the options (Android) or paying $50,000 for a car with only a few options.

I can tell you this (and by now you know which side I fall on, LOL), I have the Note 8 and I am beyond impressed. But Note 8 or not, I'd never settle for an iPhone. More money, less phone!
    gregg6942 and jimd1050 like this.
    10-10-2017 02:29 PM

I want one. I think.

<slowly waving phone>come onnn, you KNOW you want one..look how SHINY! (sniffs) anf it's got that 'new phone' smell...
    philliplavelle and aximtreo like this.
    10-10-2017 02:41 PM
    Totally on board with this. I'm glad I'm not the only one with that gratification issue. I preordered the S8+ from Samsung and they screwed it up. Delivery was due on launch day and even a week later, it hadn't shipped. I spent so much time on the phone being lied to by different people, it kinda soiled the experience.

iMessage is a draw for me - but it's not the end of the world. I'm a Brit living in the US, so communicating tends to be done over WhatsApp anyway for ease of use and cost.

I have an iPad which I love reading on. And a MacBook Pro. So there is a lot to be said for being able to respond to messages via the computer. But then again, WhatsApp web works well for that anyway.
    But they did far better this time around. Was expecting it 9/12, got it 9/6, a week and a half AHEAD of launch date!
    10-10-2017 02:57 PM
    <slowly waving phone>come onnn, you KNOW you want one..look how SHINY! (sniffs) anf it's got that 'new phone' smell...
    You're like the local drug pusher lol
    jimd1050 and aximtreo like this.
    10-10-2017 03:23 PM
    Are you past the return date on the Apple Watch you bought? If so, you're already halfway in and maybe it would be best to get the iPhone X to see if you like it. What do you like about the Note over the new iPhone that you like better? If it's just that you want a new toy right now, that's not a good enough reason IMO. If the iPhone X launches and you are less than impressed--the Note will still be for sale--and perhaps at a discount.

I'm enjoying my Note 8 despite a few hiccups from transitioning from an iPhone. The screen is simply stunning and no notch! (this year anyway, lol)
    10-10-2017 03:28 PM
    same boat. went with the note 8. no regrets.
    jratliff likes this.
    10-10-2017 03:30 PM
    Hey, Samsung MAKES the screen for CrApple, so there's that, LOL. Go with a carrier version if there's ANY chance you'll want (or need to) use Wi-Fi calling, as the unlocked versions do NOT allow you to use this feature as it is a carrier-provided service (yes, even though you're using Wi-Fi). As for the bloatware...there's an app called 'BK Disabler' that acts as if you have root access (Samsung allowed their O/S to allow access to settings once only accessible with root), and let's you disable any and all bloatware your heart desires. Yes, it's still 'on' the phone, but it takes up hardly any space, so storage is not an issue, but after disabling whatever apps you want to disable, you won't see them, hear them or ever have to think about them ever again unless you enable them again, and they'll have absolutely no affect on anything again. And no, this is NOT like before where you find the app and select 'disable'...this totally disables it where you won't even SEE it to re-enable it without actually going into the BK app.

As for iPhone...one question nobody has yet answered, you'd be the first...why would anyone be ok with no expandable memory? Why wouldn't you want hours of music ON your device, accessible without needing to stream over data or Wi-Fi, and why would anyone be ok with relying on a cloud server to keep all your pics, vids, docs etc safe? Anyone even know where this server is? DO they have adequate fire protection systems? Adequate security? Backup systems? Do you really think they care as much about your kids pictures as you do? Your wedding pics? You're really ok with that?

And, if you're already familiar with Android, you know the customization options are endless...you ok with paying a grand for a device that doesn't let you, the end user, the same flexibility??? I guess I would liken it to paying $45,000 for a car with all the options (Android) or paying $50,000 for a car with only a few options.

I can tell you this (and by now you know which side I fall on, LOL), I have the Note 8 and I am beyond impressed. But Note 8 or not, I'd never settle for an iPhone. More money, less phone!
    Bingo! I watched all my friends on here stress over their pre-orders while I just waited for "Release Day" - I walked into my AT&T Store, bought mine, had them set it up and took it home. No stress... all I had to do was some app maintenance when I got home and reset my email program and I was back up and running! Also, doesn't it bother you at all the way that Apple comes out on Release Day and makes it sound like a few of the features (that Samsung has had for years), are revolutionary new features? I love the Note 8... as Nike says - just do it!
    kj11, Jewels81, NYVET and 1 others like this.
    10-10-2017 03:37 PM
    Exactly, This is how I based my decision and gave advice to my partner regarding wanting the iPhone X. It will prone to have problems in the beginning, so I would wait for the second generation if its available. Experience the same thing with the Apple Watch Ser 1, which I was very disappointed and sold it off. Plus I was sick and tired of the same iOS software on every iPhone release... with minor changes... I mean no multi-window and etc that the Note have.

I just got the S3 Frontier LTE and i been having a positive experience with the watch accommodating with the Note 8. I'm happy with my Note 8 and S3 frontier. I upgraded my iPhone 7 Plus to this... If I was to stay with the iPhone.. i would not upgrade.
    10-10-2017 03:46 PM
    Note 8 is a slightly upgraded S8+ with a stylus. If you didn't like the S8+ it's likely that you won't like the Note 8 for the same reason.
    Though they may share similar dna there not the same . As you keep stating on posts . I own both s8 plus an the note 8 . They don't look the same are feel the same in hand not even close. Although is still love my 8 plus the note 8 is on a whole new level of performance compared to the s8 plus. There reason why many who had the s8 traded up for the note 8 . An I haven't even talked about the added benefit of a dual camera. An s pen an extra ram . I'd encourage you to at least own ether of the 2 before passing judgment. Funny your endorsing an phone the iPhone X that's not even been tested yet ...just saying
    gyounk likes this.
    10-10-2017 05:44 PM
    I say go for the Note8! It has far more features and hardware benefits compared to the iPhone X. I upgraded from the S8+ - which, by the way, is NOT like the S8+ with a stylus pen; it's far better! - and I have absolutely no regrets. It's such a great phone with a great camera and it has extra ram! I think it will take Apple 10 more years to get 6gb of RAM. Also, the benefit of having expandable storage on top of the 64gb internal storage is actually saving you money compared to the hefty price tag for the 256gb model of the iPhone X. Not to mention that this beauty runs so smooth! I've had it for nearly a month and not a lick of lag whatsoever. Also, the screen is absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry, but Apple kind of failed at providing a decent looking screen to the iPhone X - that notch at top looks so hideous. They could have done so much better. Anyway, I definitely encourage you to go for the Note8. You won't be disappointed!
    Zolti and Harlemknight like this.
    10-10-2017 06:50 PM
    Although I am biased because I already have a N8 and love it, if I were you, I would wait for the iPhone X, although it will probably be a long wait. Try the Iphone X and you will have 2 weeks to decide whether to keep it or exchange it for a N8. You already have the Apple watch, a Mac computer, and an IPAD. It would be logical to try the iPhone X, first, unless you really need an S-pen, in which case don't wait. You may as well get the N8, now.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-10-2017 07:38 PM
    Bingo! I watched all my friends on here stress over their pre-orders while I just waited for "Release Day" - I walked into my AT&T Store, bought mine, had them set it up and took it home. No stress... all I had to do was some app maintenance when I got home and reset my email program and I was back up and running! Also, doesn't it bother you at all the way that Apple comes out on Release Day and makes it sound like a few of the features (that Samsung has had for years), are revolutionary new features? I love the Note 8... as Nike says - just do it!
    Haha not all your friends. I had no stress preordering. As I was one of the lucky ones that got my note8 thru Verizon on 9/5
    jimd1050 and Auronda40 like this.
    10-10-2017 07:45 PM
    I went from an iPhone 6s+ and AW Gen 0 to Note 8 and Gear S3 Frontier and am quite happy with the switch.

I waited until the Apple keynote and was pretty disappointed. The iPhone lineup has really gone off the Steve Jobs path I think. Way too many models, and confusion. The iPhone 8 would be a bit of a bore to me as after putting it in a case there would be hardly any difference.

The iPhone X seems to be a half done experiment. No plus model for those of us that like something larger. The "all in" bet on FaceID instead of including TouchID also is not likely to work out well in my opinion. Even if it is very reliable, there are lots of use cases I'd prefer to use my fingerprint. And that notch... not well done at all. Then there is the lack of a headphone jack "courage" crap. Samsung can fit a jack in their phones, but Apple can't... what a crock.

I've gone from all Apple to hardly any Apple left in my world, so this was the next logical step. Ditched my Mac for a Surface Pro when the new one came out.

But the real surprise in all this was the Gear S3. I was really thinking I'd miss the Apple Watch. I wore it for 2 years every day. Within a day of getting the Gear S3 I like it a lot more. The UI and rotating dial is a lot better and it actually looks like a watch.

I bought mine at AT&T, for $300 off with trade in of a junk phone and the watch for $49.
    SilasOne, aximtreo and Auronda40 like this.
    10-10-2017 07:51 PM
    welcome to a world where you can make it your own . I to have a gear S3 paired with ether my note 8 are s8 plus a great combination
    10-10-2017 10:33 PM
    Though they may share similar dna there not the same . As you keep stating on posts . I own both s8 plus an the note 8 . They don't look the same are feel the same in hand not even close. Although is still love my 8 plus the note 8 is on a whole new level of performance compared to the s8 plus. There reason why many who had the s8 traded up for the note 8 . An I haven't even talked about the added benefit of a dual camera. An s pen an extra ram . I'd encourage you to at least own ether of the 2 before passing judgment. Funny your endorsing an phone the iPhone X that's not even been tested yet ...just saying
    Funny you think I'm endorsing a phone I didn't mention.

And yeah, I don't own the S8 or N8, but I've used the S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, N2, N3, N4, N5. I'm not one of those trolls looking at the specs and saying their the same phone.

You admit they have similar DNA, physically there are differences but there are still very similar phones and user experiences. Without knowing why he didn't like the S8, there is a good possibility he won't like the Note 8 for the same reason.

I'm not saying get the iPhone because he doesn't like the S8, I'm simply trying to state it's a similar phone and that he may not like it for the same reason he doesn't like the S8.
    10-10-2017 11:49 PM
60 123