Aftermarket charger damage my battery?

Dinkyy3

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I bought a 10ft charger today from the state fair. Plugged it into my phone and got a "incomplete connection. Make sure the charger is properly connected" message. It shows it's charging my phone slowly. Will this damage my battery?

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
They're certainly are bad cables out there. Don't take chances. Buy from reputable places only. Buy brands that guarantee they work or your money back.

State fairs are NOT on my list to buy certified cables from.

Just saying....

Edit: the risk is inconsistent performance or possibly even severely damaging your device.

It ain't worth it.

Last edited:

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Even my oem cord from Samsung will display that message when I charge from a non Samsung usb brick on occasion. I'm not sure why it is like that, works fine in my personal truck but my work van gets the message, same cord.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Probably not a big deal. But you can get very cheap cables from Amazon made by more reputable brands like Anker or Amazon Basics. You can even get Samsung OEM cables for not much more than you'd pay for Anker. I'm all for saving money, but given the ubiquity of affordable cables, why risk using a suspicious product?

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Anker 6 foot braided cable 2 pack that was on the Android Central front page awhile back. Great cables and do fast charging too.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I reached out to Samsung when I needed an extra charger for my office and they provided a link to an OEM charger sold by Amazon. It sucked that it cost another $35 but it works perfectly with no error messages. When it comes to chargers and batteries, I only go with genuine branded equipment considering how unstable batteries can be even under ideal conditions.