So under settings, device management, battery, there is an option for "Always Sleeping Apps", and I put all of my apps there. I tested to see if when I get a new message from Hangouts for example, I still get notifications. My battery life is great. But I wanted to ask if there's any downside to doing this? Maybe I'm missing some apps' notifications? If anyone knows, please advise
    10-14-2017 09:00 AM
    I never get notifications from the I have listed.
    10-14-2017 11:48 AM
    I do - I tested it on hangouts. The app is in the always sleeping folder, but when someone sends me a message, I get it. Or is that not what you meant?
    10-14-2017 12:28 PM
    I have Instagram in the always sleeping apps list because it was draining my battery but still get notifications from it for some reason, even after closing the app from the recent apps. It appears this function doesn't work like I thought it would/should.
    10-14-2017 12:28 PM
    That's what I'd like to know... maybe apps won't run in the background for whatever reason, but if a message is sent to me from said app, I would get it. That's how I'd like it to work, but is that how it works? Does anyone know for sure?
    10-14-2017 12:32 PM
    It actually works as intended. Let's say you put in the always sleeping list WhatsApp or Viber. If you move on you another app and then come back you will notice that the app needs to reload and may not remember you last position within the app.

Based on that fact, it works. Regarding the notifications though, most apps on the Google Play Store use a service called Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) to deliver their notifications within the android operating system. This services is bundled with Google Play Services. As a result, you are able to get the notification even if your app of choice is sleeping.
    kixfan likes this.
    10-29-2017 07:57 PM
    I have amazon shopping in sleeping list but still get notifications when item ships and delivers. But it shouldn't run in The background
    10-29-2017 08:13 PM
    Good to know this.
    Will give it a try.
    Thanks
    10-29-2017 11:36 PM