1000$ phone - no security updates

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My Note 8 is still on the August 1 patch level - has anyone gotten any later security updates?

If Samsung thinks they can sell this thing at 1000$ and then not issue at least basic Android security patches, they're wrong.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, Samsung's record on updates has always been poor. I've owned them in the past and my wife runs nothing but.

My Sony Xperia X got the October 1 patch on like Oct 4. It debuted on Marshmallow and is slated for Oreo. If fast and regular updates/upgrades are a priority I would never recommend Samsung phones or tablets for that, even the top tier models. Many OEMs trounce them in this regard month in and month out.

anon(8709382)

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Mine is still on August as well. I thought it being new it would at least get September update when I got it, I was wrong. But I agree for the money they are charging and make they should be way better for updates.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung had been doing well with the patches up until now. Since I got my unlocked S8 I have recieved the monthly patches about 3 to 4 weeks after Google has released them. It figures that on probably the most important patch of the year they screw the pooch.

BriniaSona

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry and google are the fastest. I'm coming from their devices. So this is going to be slow and painful I guess.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I had s8 Plus before note 8 and security updates from AT&T we coming out like 3 weeks after released by google. This Note 8 still sitting on August security patch which is so very strange. I thought Note 8 will be as fast as S8 Plus.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Paying top shelf price for a product you'd hope that you're not just paying for the latest in hardware and software at that time but that they have a commitment to making sure the product... hardware and software... is supported at highest level pushing updates and bug fixes to continually run at its best and show a level of commitment to it... at least for the year.

But unless you bought a Nexus or Pixel, you pretty much know you're not going to get the type of updates iOS does. You buy a product like an S8 that had the latest and greatest 7.0... you know you're not probably not going to get 7.1 in its lifetime and have to wait for 8.0 and buy that time new phones will probably have gone 8.1.

Where you buy a Pixel and people will still say it's the fastest smoothest running phone a year later and maybe beyond because it continues to get the latest updates the day it comes out, Samsung phones will be known to start getting 'the lag' after some time and you live with it. I really hope not the case since this is my first Samsung.

Security patches are from the manufacturer directly without having to wait for carriers to push. You'd think companies like Samsung would dedicate a little more into their Software side to Security updates regularly. The fact they don't shows how much they really put into a phone after it's been released... Heck they are even known to be worse updating their own unlocked phones.

Since when does the price of the device dictate the frequency of updates?

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Looks like some issue with Sept and Oct updates. Even my Nexus 5X didn't receive them yet. so, relax folks.

Broken Vet

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
My Note 8 is still on the August 1 patch level - has anyone gotten any later security updates?

If Samsung thinks they can sell this thing at 1000$ and then not issue at least basic Android security patches, they're wrong.

YEAH, they're wrong. You need to contact Samsung and tell them how it is. Probably should return your Note 8 and then boycott them. I can't say that we'll rally behind you, but we will be using our Note 8's to await an update from you on your progress. Good luck on your mission.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Paying top shelf price for a product you'd hope that you're not just paying for the latest in hardware and software at that time but that they have a commitment to making sure the product... hardware and software... is supported at highest level pushing updates and bug fixes to continually run at its best and show a level of commitment to it... at least for the year.

But unless you bought a Nexus or Pixel, you pretty much know you're not going to get the type of updates iOS does. You buy a product like an S8 that had the latest and greatest 7.0... you know you're not probably not going to get 7.1 in its lifetime and have to wait for 8.0 and buy that time new phones will probably have gone 8.1.

Where you buy a Pixel and people will still say it's the fastest smoothest running phone a year later and maybe beyond because it continues to get the latest updates the day it comes out, Samsung phones will be known to start getting 'the lag' after some time and you live with it. I really hope not the case since this is my first Samsung.

Security patches are from the manufacturer directly without having to wait for carriers to push. You'd think companies like Samsung would dedicate a little more into their Software side to Security updates regularly. The fact they don't shows how much they really put into a phone after it's been released... Heck they are even known to be worse updating their own unlocked phones.

I don't immediately install the latest updates on my million dollar servers at work.
Patches can and often do break applications and/or disrupt the proper operation of hardware.

Just recently I patched openssh for a security vulnerability, then couldn't login because the patch changed to encryption and the app used to login couldn't use it. The app which is 3rd party, also needed an update.

My WAS servers need to be parched, but I know the patches will break some of the apps on the server, so I can't just patch them without thorough testing of the apps using WAS.

My point is, just because a patch exist doesn't mean immediately roll it out. It needs thorough testing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2