After 2 years I've hit a Samsung Pay roadblock

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone that's been asked (by the machine) for the security 3 digits, tried to enter the 4 digit number from Samsung Pay?

These are technically different numbers. When I got it I literally pulled out my card and typed I the 3 digits on back of the card and it worked.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Never has any terminal asked for the CVV, only the 4 digits shown on the virtual card on SPay (usually the cashier asks for it). Just to pile up on the Lowe's thing, they're ACTIVELY blocking contactless payments for credit cards. They updated their systems to specifically request a chip insertion for Credit Cards, even if you swipe them.

supersam64

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Never has any terminal asked for the CVV, only the 4 digits shown on the virtual card on SPay (usually the cashier asks for it). Just to pile up on the Lowe's thing, they're ACTIVELY blocking contactless payments for credit cards. They updated their systems to specifically request a chip insertion for Credit Cards, even if you swipe them.
My experience is different, but you're exactly right that they're actively blocking it, at least in some locations. I was in a Lowe's yesterday and tried to check out using Samsung Pay. The terminal clearly recognized the phone with no problem and it asked for my PIN, but the cashier started spazzing out saying she couldn't take it. Since I could already tell the machine read it, I asked to speak to a manager, who gave me some vague rambling about "fraud." I called their corporate number while in the store and spoke with a top level representative who told me that they don't officially support Android Pay or Apple Pay, but they DO officially support Samsung Pay, and she's sorry the store manager gave me the wrong info. She placed a call to the store to get them up to speed so I could check out, and after a long hold, she said she talked to the manager and that while, as a company, they accept Samsung Pay, this particular store does not (citing the vague "fraud" issue again). They are apparently not governed by any corporate policy as far as what forms of payment they accept, and can pretty much do whatever they want. As such, I would imagine it's quite common that they choose not to accept it "because of fraud." Whatever. I'll go to Home Depot, where they don't tell me they don't want my money.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
@TabGuy Here is a thought and this may or may not work. You have the option of signing your card. If you open up Samsung Pay, bring up the card you use, then click the three dots in the upper right hand corner, you will see a "sign card" option. Clicking it will allow you to sign your card just like it was a physical card. Do that and see what happens.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
My paranoid side is thinking this is a way to steal CC info. Normally, when you swipe, and it says, give your card to the Cashier, the cashier isn't putting in the CCV, he or she is entering the last four of the card to verify that you had the card in your possession and to either see the signature or verify identity.

The ONLY time I've ever been asked for the CCV is with online transactions. That is why this sounds kind of weird to me.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
My experience is different, but you're exactly right that they're actively blocking it, at least in some locations. I was in a Lowe's yesterday and tried to check out using Samsung Pay. The terminal clearly recognized the phone with no problem and it asked for my PIN, but the cashier started spazzing out saying she couldn't take it. Since I could already tell the machine read it, I asked to speak to a manager, who gave me some vague rambling about "fraud." I called their corporate number while in the store and spoke with a top level representative who told me that they don't officially support Android Pay or Apple Pay, but they DO officially support Samsung Pay, and she's sorry the store manager gave me the wrong info. She placed a call to the store to get them up to speed so I could check out, and after a long hold, she said she talked to the manager and that while, as a company, they accept Samsung Pay, this particular store does not (citing the vague "fraud" issue again). They are apparently not governed by any corporate policy as far as what forms of payment they accept, and can pretty much do whatever they want. As such, I would imagine it's quite common that they choose not to accept it "because of fraud." Whatever. I'll go to Home Depot, where they don't tell me they don't want my money.
All I got from that was the manager didn't understand how it worked so he doesn't allow it. Lol. Some people fear technology.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49