The message app-stock one- suddenly stopped playing my notification tone for incoming messages. Works fine for delivery notices but the incoming message just shows up in silence. No vibration either. Everything is enabled, the volume is high, I restarted and cleaned cache. Anyone else have this problem? I really like the stock message app and I had problems of varying sorts with both Verizon's message + and Textra (different problems) and I want to stick with the stock one since it sends mms fine and live messages etc. This isn't an enormous problem as I tend to check for messages all the time but it is annoying.
    10-19-2017 12:14 AM
    The message app-stock one- suddenly stopped playing my notification tone for incoming messages. Works fine for delivery notices but the incoming message just shows up in silence. No vibration either. Everything is enabled, the volume is high, I restarted and cleaned cache. Anyone else have this problem? I really like the stock message app and I had problems of varying sorts with both Verizon's message + and Textra (different problems) and I want to stick with the stock one since it sends mms fine and live messages etc. This isn't an enormous problem as I tend to check for messages all the time but it is annoying.
    Is your notification tone one of the stock tones, or one you downloaded, or created? Did you double check to make sure you didn't accidently reset it to silent.
    10-19-2017 06:30 AM
    Is your notification tone one of the stock tones, or one you downloaded, or created? Did you double check to make sure you didn't accidently reset it to silent.
    Thanks for the response but it isn't on silent. It is a custom ringtone--from my music folder copied to my notifications folder. But it works fine for notifying me the recepient received the text so I am confused as to why it isn't working to announce the text. Oh well, will play around with it some more. The notification shows along with email ones at the top of the display. And the bubble pops up when it comes in if I am in another app Just an oddity which is somewhat annoying.
    10-19-2017 01:17 PM
    Check one more thing. Check both of these... settings, sounds and vibrations, notification sound, message notifications and make sure you have the same tone set here. 2nd, go into the Samsung stock messages and make sure that notification tone in settings, is also the same, as well as toggled "on".
    10-19-2017 05:14 PM
    What is your battery set to? Battery optimization can cause this to happen.
    10-19-2017 06:50 PM
    Check one more thing. Check both of these... settings, sounds and vibrations, notification sound, message notifications and make sure you have the same tone set here. 2nd, go into the Samsung stock messages and make sure that notification tone in settings, is also the same, as well as toggled "on".
    Yes to all
    10-20-2017 12:32 AM
    What is your battery set to? Battery optimization can cause this to happen.
    It is on optimized but has been since I got it when the notification sound worked fine.
    10-20-2017 12:32 AM
    Check this... Settings- Apps-messages- notifications and make sure it says "allowed"
    10-20-2017 03:20 AM
    Notifications allowed. It does fine on telling me the text was received, and I noticed that if it is an incoming text sent on its own not as a reply to mine, I do get the sound. But if it is a text coming in answer to mine, no sound. I just changed to something else than the stock( trying QKSMS) to see if it's any different but haven't had it tested yet. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    10-20-2017 03:27 PM
    Good luck. I know there have been times with a new device, I've had to re create my tones all over again.
    10-20-2017 06:20 PM
    Is your ringtone on sd card?
    10-21-2017 01:00 AM
    had similar issue...was using audio manager and when switching between different profiles, it would change my ringtone. had to adjust the settings in audio manager to fix. Maybe you're getting something similar? Do you use 'audio manager', or something like it?
    10-21-2017 03:02 AM
    No audio manager and ringtones on phone not sd card. As I said, the ringtone works fine for delivery reports, works fine if it is a new text coming in, it just goes mute if it is an answer to a text from me. Just seems weird. I am testing out QKSMS to see how that works. At least there are a lot of options out there.

I do appreciate everyone's advice, though!
    10-21-2017 02:15 PM
    Now you do realize, if you physically have your text chat open, when a reply comes thru, you're not going to hear a notification since it's already open. It's a different situation than actually having your text app closed. You should be getting notifications tones for a reply if you have the text app closed.
    SpaceyO likes this.
    10-21-2017 03:18 PM