So I just discovered Substratum today. I've spent 3 hours customizing my phone. It's amazing! My phone, the stock apps, most of my installed apps and my notifications are all a plus black background. Amazing.

Does anyone else use it? What themes do you use? Are there any problems I should be aware of for the future?
    Attached Thumbnails Just Discovered Substratum-821.jpg  
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-20-2017 02:27 AM
    So I just discovered Substratum today. I've spent 3 hours customizing my phone. It's amazing! My phone, the stock apps, most of my installed apps and my notifications are all a plus black background. Amazing.

Does anyone else use it? What themes do you use? Are there any problems I should be aware of for the future?
    Does it work with the samsung stock email
    10-20-2017 03:13 AM
    Ok dumb question but what is Substratum? An app? I like customizing stuff
    Gray Area and djroy03 like this.
    10-20-2017 04:42 AM
    Ok dumb question but what is Substratum? An app? I like customizing stuff
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ekt.substratum
    10-20-2017 05:41 AM
    The main difference I see with this is that your notification shade can have a a dark background, which isn't possible with the Samsung theming.
    My dumb question is what is "plus black"? Is that the name of the theme?
    I don't have any issues with the stock theme engine.
    10-20-2017 06:37 AM
    I used it for about a day. The black theme was pretty awesome, but it started killing apps like YouTube, the play store and the phone/dialer app. It was easy to install, but I don't want to have to maintain it all the time.
    10-20-2017 08:12 AM
    I am currently using the Swift Black theme on my phone. It's awesome!
    10-20-2017 09:12 AM
    Note for all of you thinking about this...

Every time an app gets updated you need to recompile the overlay for that app. Also OTA updates can black screen your device. This is not a no-brainer app and will require some planning and thought.
    10-20-2017 09:54 AM
    Used substratum on my S8 and was using it with custom ROMs on my Nexus 6.

It's not a do it once and forget it app. You'll have to constantly rework on it when app updates comes. At times, it can even apply the theme for some apps and mess up other apps forcing you to revert back everything. I've had to factory reset my S8 twice.

Yeah, it's fun to be able to theme the whole phone and a few major apps, but I would do it only with custom ROMs
    10-20-2017 11:20 AM
    I've played around with Substratum and other custom overlays over the years but have found for me, using Nova Launcher, custom wallpapers and Samsung themes work well for what I want. Example, I wanted different quick setting icon colors but found that overlays to achieve this all came with dark notifications which made the notifications dark or grey and too difficult to see.

A simple samsung theme achieved the color I wanted while keeping the notifications readable. Just Discovered Substratum-screenshot_20171020-115012.jpg
    10-20-2017 02:54 PM
    Thank you for the input. I knew it would take some maintenance, but now will maybe reconsider. If it black screens my phone, what will I have to do? Will I end up resetting it?

I don't mind fussing with my phone. It's almost a hobby to me, but am unexpected reset could screw me at work.

I'm actually using a combination of Substratum and a beautiful Samsung theme. It's glorious. I can call with uninstalling an overlay on the fly to get an app up and running, but this black screen thing had me worried.
    10-20-2017 10:39 PM
    I've been using it for a few weeks. Haven't done the whole system just a few apps messages, gmail, youtube etc. in combination with the samsung theme I chose it all works out. I won't try the system until they come out with a N8 profile.
    10-20-2017 10:51 PM
    I'm using this Samsung theme and love it. No maintaining and it just works. Only thing I don't like is they don't have the notification pull-down dark. http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=9IBySS1k
    SilasOne and lady of the lake like this.
    10-20-2017 11:16 PM
    The funny thing is the dark notifications is a separate APK I run. I just wish that I could not have grey writing on a black background. As awesome as the black notifications are, the ability to read them might just be more important.
    10-21-2017 02:42 AM