Pro's, con's of Bixby vs Google Assistant ?

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
The beauty of the Note 8 is you don't have to choose, you can use them both

If it was so beautiful, Samsung would allow us to program the Bixby button to whatever we wanted. I'd give anything to program the button to Google Assisant. Bixby is trash. A $1000 device and we are stuck with a button we can't program.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
If it was so beautiful, Samsung would allow us to program the Bixby button to whatever we wanted. I'd give anything to program the button to Google Assisant. Bixby is trash. A $1000 device and we are stuck with a button we can't program.
I disabled the button so it doesn't launch bixby home but it is useful for voice commands. The more I've used it the more I like it for the commands.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site

Don't want options? iphone is for you.

Drill off the button if it bothers you. ;)

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Don't want options? iphone is for you.

Drill off the button if it bothers you. ;)
What he said would be the exact opposite of not wanting options. He wants the options to remap the button, not have it locked to one app. The way it is now is not having options.

Anyways, just turn Bixby off and ignore the button.

I keep going back and trying Bixby and I just don't get the point. With all the toggles in the notification shade, I have yet to find a scenario where telling Bixby to change a setting is faster than doing it myself. Samsung has got to get this service tied into other smart home manufacturers and one of the ai speakers for it to succeed. As it stands now it's more of a gimmick than a useful tool.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Do any of the button remapping apps still work for the TMobile note 8? I'm still debating getting the 2 xl vs the note and if i could launch assistant with the bixby button that'd take the place of the active edge on the pixel.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Do any of the button remapping apps still work for the TMobile note 8? I'm still debating getting the 2 xl vs the note and if i could launch assistant with the bixby button that'd take the place of the active edge on the pixel.

You can remap the button still.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung designed the button to be used for Bixby. So they are not required to allow us to remap it. That said, I think if people would go to Bixby settings and read the tutorials and watch the videos they would learn how to use Bixby and what Bixby can be used for. It seems people are comparing it to Google Assistant and Siri, it's not the same. Anyone who takes the time to learn this new feature would know that they aren't the same.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Samsung designed the button to be used for Bixby. So they are not required to allow us to remap it. That said, I think if people would go to Bixby settings and read the tutorials and watch the videos they would learn how to use Bixby and what Bixby can be used for. It seems people are comparing it to Google Assistant and Siri, it's not the same. Anyone who takes the time to learn this new feature would know that they aren't the same.

Im at level 13. I feel thats enough time to "learn" the advantages of Bixby but Ive got an honest question. What have you been able to do that is either faster or better than doing so manually?

Im sitting here right now trying to create a quick command that will turn on bluetooth and connect to a certain speaker and start playing music. The issue is I have to select the speaker everytime and then it wont play the music in Samsung music, it will only open Google Play Music which I cant stand.

Ive created a couple commands like "Im home" that will turn off bluetooth, Location and turn on wifi but even with the amount of actions being taken its still slower than just tapping the toggles manually.

I get that its supposed to handle complicated actions easier but every one Ive tried requires manual input. Maybe I dont change settings enough for it to be useful. The big drawback is only working with samsung connect or smartthings devices which I have none.

It just seems to me that everything can be done faster and more accurately manually.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm at level 7. I liken it to using batch files or scripts, things that you have the musle memory to get to quickly manually will seem faster that way, but things that you might not as easily find on the menu to do can be set up more easily thru programming bixby.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
What he said would be the exact opposite of not wanting options. He wants the options to remap the button, not have it locked to one app. The way it is now is not having options.

Anyways, just turn Bixby off and ignore the button.

I keep going back and trying Bixby and I just don't get the point. With all the toggles in the notification shade, I have yet to find a scenario where telling Bixby to change a setting is faster than doing it myself. Samsung has got to get this service tied into other smart home manufacturers and one of the ai speakers for it to succeed. As it stands now it's more of a gimmick than a useful tool.

No sense of humor? That is why the winking smiking face in my posting means.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

There are those of us who love Bixby. It, like GA once was, is in it's infancy. I am loving the opportunity to help her learn and grow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173