Note 8 on Verizon

Raydee

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to buy the Note 8 but I have Verizon and it drives me absolutely nuts that they are going to charge me a $30 upgrade fee just to buy the phone from them. I am curious if I order it directly from Samsung if u would still have to pay the $30 fee or if I can just pop the Sim out of my old nexus and put it in the note?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
They only charge the upgrade fee if you do device payments, I think if you buy the phone outright there is no fee.

I know for sure if you bring your own phone there is no fee, buying from Samsung would mean you brought your own phone.

This $30 upgrade fee is rather recent, they didn't have it last year. Just another way for them to make money I guess.

Toxa

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought from Samsung, and didn't pay a fee - just put the SIM from my pixel xl. Unsure if you would add a new line though

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
if you're doing device installments, call the customer retention line before going into the store. tell them you're gonna switch to t mobile. upgrade fee will be waived. they waived both mine and my wife's.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm doing device payments, taking advantage of the $480.00 prorated discount after trading in my Note 5. VZ waived the $30.00 upgrade fee for me.

Raydee

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
if you're doing device installments, call the customer retention line before going into the store. tell them you're gonna switch to t mobile. upgrade fee will be waived. they waived both mine and my wife's.
My friend tried that here and they said there was no way to waive the fee. I was very surprised myself that they would lose a customer over $30.

Raydee

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Would I be better off getting a unlocked version over the Verizon version in case I do want to switch carriers in the near future? Is the unlocked note 8 just like the nexus and pixel phones that work on any carrier?

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Would I be better off getting a unlocked version over the Verizon version in case I do want to switch carriers in the near future? Is the unlocked note 8 just like the nexus and pixel phones that work on any carrier?

That's my question. Ordered my Note 8 and am trading in my LG G4 and getting $300 towards my purchase. Got it unlocked and I'm on Verizon.

jmj227

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Verizon executives sit around pondering how they can add more fees. I bought my N8 at Best Buy on installments to get the $480 trade in deal but still paid the $30 fee.

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon isn't giving $300.for an LGG4, they will give you $100 for it, your better of selling it yourself or keeping it as a back up

donas2000

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine through Verizon's customer service on the phone; they waived all the fees just cause I asked. I am making device payments as well.

diagoro

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to at least three customer service reps during the N8 order process. The first and last were willing to waive the fees, the second wasn't. It really depends on who you speak with, and how fim you are with wanting discounts and fee removals.