Any downsides to lower to 0.5 the animation scale setting ?

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Any downsides to setting the animation scale to seemingly faster snappier to 0.5 ?
Will any specific apps etc be impacted, compromised, not work well ?
What does each of the animation settings do? Window? Transition? Animator?
Should I ~speed up them all, or just a subset ?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Why do you need to change the default animation setting? Hoping your device will perform faster?

No app developer will account for such settings as they are developer settings for a reason. So, you cannot tell what will be impacted or not.

The Note 8 itself is pretty good in performance and I don't think you need to worry about anything. Yes, many say this will make your device faster but I don't think you are going to notice it.

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have does this for years with every phone I get and I haven't seen or heard of any problems associated with speeding up the animations and transitions. It just controls the animations of switching screens, opening apps, opening the app drawer etc.........so because you speed up the animations and transitions the phone appears more responsive (snappy)

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Any downsides to setting the animation scale to seemingly faster snappier to 0.5 ?
Will any specific apps etc be impacted, compromised, not work well ?
What does each of the animation settings do? Window? Transition? Animator?
Should I ~speed up them all, or just a subset ?

there is no downside. on all of my note series i adjust to .5 animation. its much faster

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I've lower the animations on every Android phone I've had however I haven't done it yet on the Note 8, this phone has been so quick and snappy that I haven't felt the need to

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
@bialy I thought you had a similar thread to this already.

In answer to your question, I usually turn all animations off on all my devices but in the case of the N8, you have to leave the "Animator duration scale" set to .5 or the tap hold popup won't work on the home screen. I have the other 2 animation settings completely off.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Idk
So a distinction between animation scale 0.5 and 0.0 in terms of app etc compromise.
I wonder if Verizon allows access to the developer settings ?
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=842220

IMO, there is no compromise of any apps. All animation does on your phone as far as the three settings in developer options is change how transitions look. It basically adds time to the process by sliding screens and other things into place, in effect, slowing down your phone. Some people think it looks nice, I feel it makes devices painfully s-l-o-w. Changing these settings won't do anything to apps.

I'm on Verizon and ALWAYS turn on developer options first thing when I get a device just so I can turn off animations. I've been doing this for at least the last 8 years or so.

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it is - the overall load time of the app does not change - all you are changing is how quickly the initial window shows up. That might mean that, for example, Gmail will pop open quicker, but will take slightly longer to load the email list. In effect, you are shifting what you are staring at longer. For apps already in memory, that works great, for apps that have to be loaded, not always.

I tend to change the animations to .5, but I do notice few apps, like Feedly for example, that look off because the long wait for actual content in the window.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I did this last year with my S7 Edge. I kept it that way for maybe a week and realized I missed the animations and changed them back to the original setting. I haven't even thought about lowering them on my Note 8/S8+. It's not even a thought.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Going all the way to 0 will actually make you not be able to long press and uninstall apps. I had to go back to 0.5.

I can when on 0
On the first day with my phone, I set all 3 to 0 and couldn't figure out why I couldn't long press on home screen to get popup with choices. Read somewhere here on the forums that animator duration needed to be set to .5 to get that option back. I changed that one to .5 and had the long press popup menu again.

Last night I set animator duration to 0 (all three on 0) and still had the long press menu. Not sure what changed but something did.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
On the first day with my phone, I set all 3 to 0 and couldn't figure out why I couldn't long press on home screen to get popup with choices. Read somewhere here on the forums that animator duration needed to be set to .5 to get that option back. I changed that one to .5 and had the long press popup menu again.

Last night I set animator duration to 0 (all three on 0) and still had the long press menu. Not sure what changed but something did.

interesting. now I'm curious and will test too.

eta - it's fine for long press at zero. this is new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair