How Come Sony gets Oreo First... what about us loyal Samsung users?

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Sony has a much lighter skin on top of Android than Samsung does. Also, Samsung usually waits and uses vNext on their next flagship (in this case the S9), before upgrading the Note, S8 etc.

I expect this going in, and like their functionality more than enough as is. I use Nova launcher, which gives me most of the Nougat features ahead if time anyway. My big wish from Samsung like some others here, is that they did security updates in a timely fashion for all of their devices.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Basically, if you’re buying a Samsung phone, don’t expect to get the new version of an OS as soon as Google releases them.

Security patches are quicker but also sometimes inconsistent

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The reason is this.

Sony phones run a UI that's very close to the base AOSP code. It's not quite like a Pixel, but it's pretty close and the only major obvious customization are the icons along with some extra apps.

Samsung phones by contrast run a heavy UX layer on top of the source Android code. It looks and feels pretty different from stock but recent versions have at least someone retained familiar elements. As a result, it will take longer to update when it comes to OS versions.

Samsung flagships usually receive their updates in the middle of Q1 of the next year after the OS is officially released by Google.

Actually, the reason has little to nothing to do with how much of a UX layer or "skin" if on the phone. The simple answer is that Sony made this more of a priority than Samsung.

That's it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Basically, if you’re buying a Samsung phone, don’t expect to get the new version of an OS as soon as Google releases them.

Security patches are quicker but also sometimes inconsistent

Basically, if you’re not buying a Google phone, don’t expect to get the new version of an OS as soon as Google releases them.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
fingerprint sensor or Oreo? I'll take a fingerprint sensor with my N8 thank you. Don't care about Oreo just security patches.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I am new to android (just moved over from iOS last summer, but i have yet to be harmed in anyway by not getting these updates.

Just so many nice little features that i use every day that iOS still does not have that i am very happy with android.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
S8+ is my last Samsung phone. The pattern is pretty consistent:

1 - buy new Samsung flagship with slightly out of date OS i.e. S8 launched with 7.0 when newer versions were out there.

2 - See at best 1 but probably no further updates and watch as it becomes even more out of date

Cutting edge hardware and out of date software that’s Samsung. I suspect the delay is down to them figuring out how to bypass Os background controls for all that bloat!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
S8+ is my last Samsung phone. The pattern is pretty consistent:

1 - buy new Samsung flagship with slightly out of date OS i.e. S8 launched with 7.0 when newer versions were out there.

2 - See at best 1 but probably no further updates and watch as it becomes even more out of date

Cutting edge hardware and out of date software that’s Samsung. I suspect the delay is down to them figuring out how to bypass Os background controls for all that bloat!
What network are you on? Lol

My Note 4 still gets updates.

Clearly our experiences are very different.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
What are people waiting for that Oreo is so super important to get..yesterday ?
I'm just enjoying my Note 8 and don't get the rush
My note 4 got latest security patch July this year

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Sony, Motorola, LG, they all can have it first. See this all the time, can't wait for the update then the posts start coming in how the phone is now screwed up, or the battery life sucks now.

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Samsung sucks when it comes to updated. The Note 8 should have come with Oreo. I can wait to dump this phone and go back to an Apple phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol