Make Incoming Calls go to Phone Instead of BT Device [SOLVED]

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I listen to audio books via the hoopla app on my phone, connected with Bluetooth to a SmartBean BT receiver which is connected to the aux input of my vehicle. It works great EXCEPT for when a phone call comes in and I answer it but the conversation occurs through my stereo speakers and not my phone. I want to take a call on my phone, using my phone ear speaker like a normal phone call. I *thought* setting up the separate app sound feature would take care of my issue but I can't get it to work. I have it set to App = hoopla and Audio device = bluetooth device. There is no choice to choose the phone app and audio device phone, which is what I want.

My workaround is when my phone rings, quickly disconnect BT and answer my phone. There has to be an easier way. Maybe separate audio sound has nothing to do with what I'm wanting, either. I checked all the settings within the phone app but didn't see anything obvious to change in there to solve my issue, either.

Any ideas how to make my phone calls be answered like a normal call and not through my vehicle speakers while listening to BT through my stereo?

Last edited:

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Separate App Sound or Another Option?

I listen to audio books via the hoopla app on my phone, connected with Bluetooth to a SmartBean BT receiver which is connected to the aux input of my vehicle. It works great EXCEPT for when a phone call comes in and I answer it but the conversation occurs through my stereo speakers and not my phone. I want to take a call on my phone, using my phone ear speaker like a normal phone call. I *thought* setting up the separate app sound feature would take care of my issue but I can't get it to work. I have it set to App = hoopla and Audio device = bluetooth device. There is no choice to choose the phone app and audio device phone, which is what I want.

My workaround is when my phone rings, quickly disconnect BT and answer my phone. There has to be an easier way. Maybe separate audio sound has nothing to do with what I'm wanting, either. I checked all the settings within the phone app but didn't see anything obvious to change in there to solve my issue, either.

Any ideas how to make my phone calls be answered like a normal call and not through my vehicle speakers while listening to BT through my stereo?
When you answer the call you should have the ability to change the audio source to either phone, loud speaker, or Bluetooth. If you select phone while your Bluetooth is connected it should remember that for next time (I haven't personally tested this on the note 8 but that's how it works in most others phones).

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

When you answer the call you should have the ability to change the audio source to either phone, loud speaker, or Bluetooth. If you select phone while your Bluetooth is connected it should remember that for next time (I haven't personally tested this on the note 8 but that's how it works in most others phones).
Thanks, I'll have to do some testing before I go on the road again. I don't want to be fumbling around trying to look for a setting while I'm driving. I'll look for those options. I know the speaker option is available since I use speakerphone sometimes but I've never noticed a BT choice.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

There is no option to choose BT when answering a phone call. Any other ideas?

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

You have to do it when you're in a call. It should remember the setting after you're done.
I should have been more specific. I checked while in a call and connected to BT and didn't see any BT choice. I'll check again.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Were you connected to your Bluetooth device?
Apparently, I edited about the same time you posted. Yes I was connected to my BT device. I tested again while on a call and saw the BT symbol green, right above the keypad button and tapped it to turn it black. Need to call again to make sure it will stick.

Edit: Tapping the BT icon to switch the call to the phone does NOT stick. It has to be done every single call. At least I know a better way now.

Thanks for the help @KayIslandDrunk!

Last edited:

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to this post in another thread, my issue is resolved!

Could try turning the connection off in the Bluetooth settingsView attachment 272125View attachment 272126

I turned off the call audio setting in the SmartBean.

595c5f3058f5db222aae74642788d6f2.jpg
c23b4d49d508ab1abec583cc3959f1a3.jpg