I've been using my Note8 for just over a month now, and one thing keeps surprising me (performance)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I remember the days where Samsung phones were knackered for having sluggish out-of-box performance that only got worse and worse over time. I very much remember my old Galaxy S3, which ran quite well when out-of-the-box but had some hitches and stutters. Eventually, that got worse until it was nearly unusable with the Android 4.3 update.

My experience with last year's Note7 was significantly better, but also not perfect. It is snappier, but still tends to hitch and stutter, especially when scrolling. It's not what I'd call "slow", but it's also not smooth either.

After experiencing phones with snappy UIs like the HTC One M7, Moto Z and a Nexus 6P, I was expecting the usual Samsung jank when I unboxed my Note8 and powered it on for the very first time.

But then, I noticed something....or rather, the lack of something.

It didn't hitch or lag, even while installing apps in the background. Scrolling was consistently smooth for the most part and it also seems that Samsung has tuned their memory management to make proper use of all that memory, so I would say that the increased UX performance is down to better software optimization, not the extra RAM. This is a slight exaggeration, but it actually does feel similar in responsiveness and fluidity to what I would expect from a phone running close-to-stock Android. I really was not expecting this.

Just over a month later, and another thing hit me; It hasn't slowed down....yet.

Right about a month is when I'd notice stuff going amiss when it came to performance, but so far, it seems to maintain its snappy nature, even when the processor is pegged back in power saving mode. Apps still load very quickly, are well-kept in memory and stuttering plus hitching didn't occur frequently.

I'm really honestly astounded. I would have never expected a Samsung phone with a heavy skin to perform extremely well so far, especially given my prior experience with an S8+ being less-than-ideal. Of course, an OS upgrade can probably just ruin the whole thing, but let's hope not.

Old g

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
ikr I guess in this day and age we shouldn't expect anything less. but like you I've had all the Samsung Galaxy. yes my note has been a beast since day one almost 2 months

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Never had a Samsung phone runs without a reboot for over 6 days before start having issues. My note 8 is going on day 16 with no restart and it's SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER. love it.

lady of the lake

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I had problems in the beginning and I suspect it had something to do with the Samsung Smartswitch app. I was unable to edit the task edge panel and after several attempts to rectify this with the assistance of Samsung Technical Support I ultimately had to perform a factory reset. A pain to be sure but totally worth it in the long run. I've had zero problems since and I'm on my Note more hours per day than I want to admit??????♥️

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I had problems in the beginning and I suspect it had something to do with the Samsung Smartswitch app. I was unable to edit the task edge panel and after several attempts to rectify this with the assistance of Samsung Technical Support I ultimately had to perform a factory reset. A pain to be sure but totally worth it in the long run. I've had zero problems since and I'm on my Note more hours per day than I want to admit������♥️
I set mine up as a brand new phone. Prefer it that way

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had problems in the beginning and I suspect it had something to do with the Samsung Smartswitch app. I was unable to edit the task edge panel and after several attempts to rectify this with the assistance of Samsung Technical Support I ultimately had to perform a factory reset. A pain to be sure but totally worth it in the long run. I've had zero problems since and I'm on my Note more hours per day than I want to admit📱♥️
I used Samsung cloud and Google cloud to install everything onto my phone. I too havn't been able to use task edge, at this point everything else works flawlessly so I gave up on task edge until I feel the need to do a full reset, which will probably be after the Oreo update next yr sometime.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Almost all new phones I get I do a factory reset and set up as new.

Only with iPhones and iPads personal experience, I'll always do a factory reset on new devices there too... but their cloud backup/restores have always been trouble free and exact backups. Too bad can't get that kind of backup with Android but understand why.

I set mine up as a brand new phone. Prefer it that way

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh forgot to add the reason I said give it another month... Mine has been running just fine and I guess I'm over 5 weeks now too.

But after a month, the only "hiccup" I have experienced a lag once in a while when logging in with retina where it will immediately read my eyes but hang at a blank screen for 4-5 seconds before taking me to the home screen.

I hope it's not a sign of things to come. But I don't restart my phone for no reason and have yet to run the device maintenance/optimize on the phone since I've had it so I've been happy as you how well it's been performing. Only close open apps.

Watching the Flossy Real Review of the LG V30, he commented the V30 was smoother than his Note 8 and basically suggested if you had a Note to reboot it ONCE A DAY! :eek: No way I would except that as a norm and want to do that on a $1000 phone.

Give it another month ;)

Old g

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
I've had my beast mode phone for over 2 months an it's been a beast since day one. no phone is prefect but damn this phone is close

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz