Big Size Screen How Can I Carry It Around?

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I want to get the Note 8. The only thing holding me back is the size of it. I know it won't fit in my pockets. My pockets can hold a regular S8. Are there any ways for carrying it around with me? I was thinking of a holster to clip on my pants but I'm a little worried that it might feel uncomfortable.

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both upgraded from Galaxy S2 Skyrockets to note 8s. The S2 was rather small compared to the Note 8, for sure.

But the thing is, just to be able to carry the S2 in a pants pocket with a protective case installed, I started wearing cargo pants years ago. So when I got the Note 8, I didn't need to make any change.

No smart phone, in a protective case, really fits comfortably and safely into a jeans pocket for me. And other stuff in the limited pocket volume I get with "normal" pants is likely to scratch a phone or even crack a screen when I squat down or maneuver to work on various equipment. Very high stresses could often be placed on something the size of any smart phone if I have it in a pants pocket during a normal day for me.

Now if you wear baggier dress pants and work in an environment where you never need to bend or move as much, things could easily be different.

I initially tried using the belt clip holster gadget that came with the Otter Box I had on my S2, but almost immediately, I bumped the phone while walking down a normal stairwell, and it launched out of the holster, bounced off of a concrete wall, hit the next landing down, and then cartwheeled down the next flight of stairs.

That simultaneously convinced me of the value of the clunky Otter Box case and convinced me of the uselessness, for me, of that belt holster attachment. The phone, with the big case, needed to go in a pocket. So cargo pants it was, and has been ever since then.

I like having the phone alone in its own pocket. That has worked well for me, and upgrading to the Note 8 hasn't required any changes for me.

Another guy at work does use one of the belt clip holster gadgets, and presumably has had no problems with it. So that option might work for you, too. So you might look into both of those options.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
As a guy, I don't have any problem carrying the Note 8 in my pants pockets. It fits in my suit pants, casual work pants, jeans, shorts and workout pants/shorts.

I see plenty of women carrying the iphone Plus models, S8+ and Note phones as well. It appears that most carry them in their purse or pockets. My wife has an iPhone 7 Plus that is actually harder to carry than the Note 8. Depending on what she is wearing, she either puts it in her purse or pants pocket if she is dressed casual. She's a smaller women and has been carrying a big phone for 3 years now without any issues.

I guess everyone's habits are different so maybe you could try a belt clip? That's the only other solution I can think of. Good luck to you. I hope you enjoy the Note 8.

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Do they make cargo pants for girls? lol I thought it was just for guys only.

I'm a woman and I wear King Gee (male) trousers and shorts, and they're wonderful.

They've got pockets galore of all dimensions, and I don't have a problem with my note 8 in its oem stand case.

I also wear my King Gees when I travel, locally and internationally, they're drill cotton, and just keep washing and wearing.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm a woman and I wear King Gee (male) trousers and shorts, and they're wonderful.

They've got pockets galore of all dimensions, and I don't have a problem with my note 8 in its oem stand case.

I also wear my King Gees when I travel, locally and internationally, they're drill cotton, and just keep washing and wearing.

Where do you buy the King Gees? Online? Thanks.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
As a guy I carry my Note 8 the same way I carried my Note 4 95% of the time, in my shirt pocket. The rest of the time I carry it in my pants front pocket. The Note 8 is narrower than my Note 4 and just a bit taller. I measured it a lot before upgrading. So really not much change for me.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Never had an issue carrying these large phones, then again most of my pants have pockets large enough a Nexus 7 can fit.

I've seen girls that let the phone stick out of their pocket, seen plenty that leave it in their purse.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I'll order a case with a holster and try to find some cargo pants... Or ones with big pockets. I know the pants that I have now won't fit it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You could always put the phone in an OtterBox case. It comes with a belt clip holster type thing. This case makes the phone extra big.

I have mine in an OtterBox case. To be honest though, with this case the phone is so big that I am mostly just using this phone at home and bringing my S8+ as my daily now. Up until two weeks ago, I was still using my S7 Edge as my daily even though I bought my S8+ back in June and my Note 8 on launch day.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had 5.7" phones for the past 2 years. I wear men's Levi's 501s, since I have a boyish build (small hips in comparison to my waist). My phones fit in the left front pocket of the jeans even when I use cases. I don't keep anything else in that pocket other than the phone.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I've used a phone holster for a long time regardless of size of phone. I've always felt uncomfortable having a phone in my pocket. The holster I use isn't exactly good looking, but it does the trick. I'm a man, so it may not be as practical for you, but anyway, just in case, it's this one Niteize Clip Case Sideways Extra Large - Retail Packaging - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F36YKF...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6042997.

Guys, for what it's worth, there is evidence that carrying any phone in pants pockets increases the risk of testicular cancer. Note, that is not the reason I use a holster. I think these risks are overblown. But for some people it matters.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I carry my Note in my regular work pants and slim fit jeans. I use a case when I'm at work which makes it a little bulky but when I go out I take it without the case and it fits fine without a huge outline. I think this is the max size smartphone I can get though--any bigger and it will stick out the top of my pocket. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol