Note 8 Netflix HDR issues

Toomuch13

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm loving my Note8! I have one question, when watching HDR videos on YouTube, I can instantly tell the difference. However, when watching videos on Netflix with the HDR tag, they look identical to their SDR counterparts. Is there something I'm missing here? anybody else experiencing the same issues?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving my Note8! I have one question, when watching HDR videos on YouTube, I can instantly tell the difference. However, when watching videos on Netflix with the HDR tag, they look identical to their SDR counterparts. Is there something I'm missing here? anybody else experiencing the same issues?

Do you have the highest tier of Netflix, which is required for 4k/HDR?

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Netflix looks horrible on my Note 8. Shadows looks had pixelated blotches. I try it with my internet connection (Charter with 100mb download) and even T-Mobile towers (capped at 480p) and still looks very bad. I mean it looks worse than DVD quality. Tries taking a scree cap but said I couldnt due to some copywrite or something. I watch the video with the iPhone and I don't see it.

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Is everyone able to select the 1440p HDR option in Youtube for 4K videos? I'm only seeing 1080p HDR and this is on home Wifi.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Is everyone able to select the 1440p HDR option in Youtube for 4K videos? I'm only seeing 1080p HDR and this is on home Wifi.

I had assumed I was getting 2160p for the 4k clips on YouTube, but when I checked in the App, 2160p wasn't even an option. Curious...

Did a little searching, and it seems the Android App itself may not provide that option, although I'm not 100% certain of this.

I did then go to the youtube website using Chrome, and accessing those clips there, I was able to select the 2160p stream. Looked awesome.

While playing, I went into my Router's UI, to see what speeds were in use. Initially when loading the clip, it went up to 100mbps (I have 200 down, 20 up), but once loaded, the speed went up and down regularly, going no higher than 25-30mbps.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I had assumed I was getting 2160p for the 4k clips on YouTube, but when I checked in the App, 2160p wasn't even an option. Curious...

Did a little searching, and it seems the Android App itself may not provide that option, although I'm not 100% certain of this.

I did then go to the youtube website using Chrome, and accessing those clips there, I was able to select the 2160p stream. Looked awesome.

While playing, I went into my Router's UI, to see what speeds were in use. Initially when loading the clip, it went up to 100mbps (I have 200 down, 20 up), but once loaded, the speed went up and down regularly, going no higher than 25-30mbps.

Netflix recommends a minimum of 25 mbps download speed in order to get 4K resolution. That speed has to be checked with their server. Depending on the traffic on their site and your service provider's speed, you might not be able to always to get the best picture.

Last edited:

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Netflix doesn't have many HDR movies and there's no real difference between between HD and HDR from what I can see either.

This is odd. There is definitely a difference that I can see. I've watched episodes of Iron Fist and Stranger Things in HDR and they look great. I can't wait to get my iPhone X on Friday since it offers Dolby Vision HDR. Anxious to see how that will look. But so far, I'm very much enjoying the HDR content on my Note 8. YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Video.

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
This is odd. There is definitely a difference that I can see. I've watched episodes of Iron Fist and Stranger Things in HDR and they look great. I can't wait to get my iPhone X on Friday since it offers Dolby Vision HDR. Anxious to see how that will look. But so far, I'm very much enjoying the HDR content on my Note 8. YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Video.

Doesn't the iPhone X have a much lower screen resolution (less pixels) than the Note 8? Is it even Quad HD?

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

I uninstalled the updates to the Youtube app and then I WAS able to see 1440p for 4K videos on Youtube, however, there was NO HDR next to it, or even the any of the other resolutions.

When I reinstalled the Youtube updates up to the current version, the 1440p options disappears, but shows 1080p WITH HDR. Weird.

Watching the same video in the Chrome browser DOES show the 2160p resolution option. So it must be the Youtube app.

Last edited:

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the iPhone X have a much lower screen resolution (less pixels) than the Note 8? Is it even Quad HD?

I don't know if I would call it much lower, but it's lower. It's higher than 1080p, but not 1440p. HDR content is limited to 1080p on mobile anyway. Also, most times I keep my Note 8 on 1080p.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

You have to go to the display settings on the Note 8 and switch the quality to WQHD+

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You have to go to the display settings on the Note 8 and switch the quality to WQHD+

I already have it set to WQHD+; did that within minutes of when I first got the Note 8.

As far as I can see, this is a limitation of the YouTube App on the Note 8.

Are you saying that if you open a 4k/HDR video *within* the YouTube App on your Note 8, you do have the option of selecting 2160p?

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

That's the first thing I did when I got my phone. I've also switched to Entertainment & Performance Modes and still the same. As someone mentioned above, I believe it is a limitation in the Youtube app as I'm able to see 2160p in the Chrome browser.

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I already have it set to WQHD+; did that within minutes of when I first got the Note 8.

As far as I can see, this is a limitation of the YouTube App on the Note 8.

Are you saying that if you open a 4k/HDR video *within* the YouTube App on your Note 8, you do have the option of selecting 2160p?

I think you're right. It's an issue with the Youtube app. If you uninstall all the updates to the app, you can see the 1440p option with 4K videos. But for some reason, there's no HDR option on any of the resolution choices.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That's the first thing I did when I got my phone. I've also switched to Entertainment & Performance Modes and still the same. As someone mentioned above, I believe it is a limitation in the Youtube app as I'm able to see 2160p in the Chrome browser.
Do you have T-Mobile?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678