My Note 8 battery life is so bad

gi6

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
Android Battery test
Recently my son questioned whether or not he needed to replace the battery in his Samsung S6 because he was having difficulty getting through the day with a single charge. The cost to replace the battery is on the order of $60, and we wanted to try to decide whether or not the existing battery was weak. The Samsung battery analyzer indicated that the batter is good, but we decided to perform a quantitative test. We have three Samsung S6 phones in our household so we devised a simple test, using Flashlight+, a free App. Here is a description of our test:

Starting with nearly-charged phones, we recorded the initial percent charges, and we used the Flashligh+ App to turn on the flashlights. We waited about 30 minutes, and recorded the percent charges again. Then we turned the flashlights back on, and recorded the percent charge after another half hour or so.

This should be a pretty good test, assuming that the Flashlight+ app consumes virtually all of the total battery discharge whenever the flashlight is on.

The following results are for our three Samsung S6 phones. The first two phones were purchased new about two years ago. Both were manufactured for use with AT&T, but they are used wit Consumer Cellular as our provider. The third phone was recently purchased used. It is a T-mobile phone.

Time 0 min 35 min 58 min
MRI 100% 58% charge (42% depleted) 33% charge (67% depleted)
GAI 100% 66% charge (34% depleted) 43% charge (57% depleted)
DBI 95% 61% charge (34% depleted) 37% charge (58% depleted)

On the basis of this small sample, two phones lost about 60 percent of their charge per hour. The third phone lost about 70 percent. We have tentatively concluded that it is probably not cost-effective to have the batteries replaced in any of these phones yet, but would be interesting to hear about results from other users.

andy roddy

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
10 hours off the charger, 3+ hrs SOT yesterday, and I still had 60% left. This phone has the best battery life I've ever seen, since I started using a smartphone in the early 2000s (Treo 300).

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone respond to a thread with the only information being "my battery life sucks."

Why does it suck?
How are you using your phone?
What's draining the battery?

OP doesn't want help in figuring out the problem.

droidtgray

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
seems like using OK Google to unlock or wake up the phone was having a negative effect on my battery. So I leave those off unless I need them; like when I'm studying, and want to ask Google questions without picking up the phone.

I wish I could figure out a way to get Bixby to automate those settings so that I don't have to pick up the phone to change them.

Also good tip when AOD is on to put the screen face down I might try that.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am facing battery issues with my Note 8 as well. Now it's getting harder to complete a day comfortably. Faced the same issue with my unlocked S8 by the 3rd month, and now with the Note 8.

Ran device maintenance and uninstalled a few apps as well.

Overall, the battery is inconsistent. I think I'll have to carry around a charging cable soon like the iPhone guys.

ZHUERAM

Oct 29, 2017
Visit site
Been "power using" since 6am CST (calls, texts, surfing, streaming video and music) and 12 hours later I'm at 41% battery remaining. Killer Diller.

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Note 8 battery dies rather quickly. But she never manually turns off the display, she just leaves it on until it times out (which we both have set to the max (10 minutes)). I turn mine off when I am not looking at it or using it.

And she has some kind of live wallpaper thing installed that probably sucks down the battery and I also fear is some kind of malware as well LOL. I can't even get to her apps by flicking upwards, or get to her settings by dragging down. Whatever, it's her choice.

On mine, with none of that, and with the always on display enabled, I still get good battery life IMO. But I have nothing much against which to compare it.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Got my note 8 on launch day and battery life is still awesome 15 hours of heavy use. Sounds like an app is eating your battery life.

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't. Lasts longer than my iPhone 7+

While my Note 8 battery doesn't suck by any means, it's nowhere near my old 7+. The iPhone would easily last me two days of use, Note is down to 20-30% the next morning. Still nothing to complain about too much, but I sure would love to have a 4,000 mah battery in it...

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
When everything was running as it should, I would get 15-16 hours a day of use. BUT, when there was an app that was out of date like Facebook Messenger that updates about 45 times a week, it would suck the life right out of it until I could get on WiFi to update the app. Update, reboot, and I was back in business.

ZHUERAM

Oct 29, 2017
Visit site
How much screen on time?

Probably 4 or 5 hours. I was on it a lot today. Under normal circumstances I'm one of those people who plugs in a charger at every opportunity, but I wanted to test it today.

I think it did pretty well. As good or better than my old iPhone 6.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Today. Not usually on it as much as I was today I think so checked SOT from first time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171110-221953.jpg
    Screenshot_20171110-221953.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20171110-222002.jpg
    Screenshot_20171110-222002.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site

rather than to haggle with it I'd just get a portable charger. You know Samsung could have put a bigger battery in the note 8 but they didn't.
I'm a power user but also carry around my wallet a mini monster battery charger. It bailed me out only once. We were at the hospital all night, and by 10pm I was down to 13% mostly from screen use. Hooked up my mini charger, and it got me home with 69% left at 945am the next day.
Get you a portable charger anyway. You don't need a big one, but get one made by a reputable company.
Get that screen to turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity. Put some apps to sleep if need be.
Factory resetting, just gonna bring you back here again. Unless your battery is bad 😠

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12