Thinking of making the plunge from iPhone

Rjl786

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
That's too bad about the Face ID! How picky are we talking?

First, does not work in horizontal mode (she mounts her phone in landscape when driving). Second, apparently it has to be straight on. So lifting up the phone to unlock is needed. Third, the phone apparently has to think for a few moments before unlocking, so there is a tendency to swipe up before the phone is ready, resulting in multiple impatient swipes. I hear her say "d**n thing" many times per day. Fourth, she has had to reset her face three times in the last two weeks. A beta feature rushed out the door in our opinion.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
First, does not work in horizontal mode (she mounts her phone in landscape when driving). Second, apparently it has to be straight on. So lifting up the phone to unlock is needed. Third, the phone apparently has to think for a few moments before unlocking, so there is a tendency to swipe up before the phone is ready, resulting in multiple impatient swipes. I hear her say "d**n thing" many times per day. Fourth, she has had to reset her face three times in the last two weeks. A beta feature rushed out the door in our opinion.

That is too bad! I would definitely have similar issues if I had the phone! Plus, the fact that the phone has to "think" before unlocking (recognizing your face) seems to be a counterintuitive way to unlock a device quickly and seamlessly. Hopefully Apple fixes this in an update!

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
My work phone is iPhone, so I have to use it at work obviously. I can't and will never understand why iOS hadn't evolved enough to simply not have to have all the icons on the screen! For this reason alone I despise iOS.
If you can't customize your phone to make it yours, what's the sense?

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I went from the 7+ to the Note 8. Had it 2 weeks and went back to the iPhone X. The X is the better phone I have ever had. I wasn't getting text messages on time. 99% of the people I know have iPhone and I was the odd ball out. My significant other had iPhone and I liked Apple watch better than gear S3. The X is the way to go.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have an X and Note 8 and love them both! I maintain my iMessages connection via my LTE Apple Watch and iPad when I am using the Note. I know it is crazy, but it allows me to have the best of both worlds.

Haha I'm kind of in the same boat... except that I have a Pixel 2 XL. I'm planning on getting the Note 8 as well hopefully around black Friday. To me that would be my best of both worlds lol. My love for tech is getting quite expensive.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note 8 and moved to iPhone X. When I had my Note 8, it was still on the August security patch at the end of October. I would've kept the Note 8 (and Samsung) if they actually update their security once a month. But they don't. And don't expect monthly updates.

If most of your friends and family have iPhones, you should probably stick with that, especially if you value your security.

I'm not being a wiseass but what is the big deal with getting or not getting timely security updates with android? I've never heard of phones getting hacked or getting viruses because they weren't on the most recent security update.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm looking at jumping ship from Apple to Samsung. I have the iPhone X and I'm not impressed with it at all. I haven't been with an Android phone since the note 5, so coming back is gonna be a little hard. I have a few questions for those that have made the jump.

1. How did you deal with switch back to sms instead of imessage, Most of my friends and family have iPhones.

2. How well do the emoji's switch over when sending

3. How are the updates from Samsung? Apple is always on the updates to fix or improve issues

4. Can someone help a brother out lol
There's no comparison

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Checked out the X at BB yesterday. I'm not giving up my Note 8 just yet but that X is a sweet little gadget.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have to ask. How long have you actually had the iPhone X? They haven't been out all that long yet you choose to spend $1000 on a phone that turns out to not be to your liking? What made you want to buy it in the first place?

Jon Garrett

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I'm looking at jumping ship from Apple to Samsung. I have the iPhone X and I'm not impressed with it at all. I haven't been with an Android phone since the note 5, so coming back is gonna be a little hard. I have a few questions for those that have made the jump.

1. How did you deal with switch back to sms instead of imessage, Most of my friends and family have iPhones.

3. How are the updates from Samsung? Apple is always on the updates to fix or improve issues

1-3 are just plain silly. iMessage only works with iOS, your SMS works with everything. I text people with both and nobody ever had a problem with anybody else's messages or emoji.

If iMessage and emoji are priorities for you then you have no business using a Note or Galaxy S because they're tools not toys.

Updates is the hyper-used term to address iOS shortcomings. iOS "updates" are 90% patches and bug fixes and you get exactly the same from Samsung, MONTHLY patches and bug fixes.

iOS "updates" to "new" versions to give you the illusion that you're getting something special--Samsung has moved it core apps to the Play Store and their own store so while Android might be a bit behind all you system apps are up to date, Apple has to update it's entire OS.

Lastly, when iOS gets new features, they're new to iPhone users and years old to everyone else.

For me personally, it all comes down to usefulness--I CANNOT work within the confines of iOS, entirely too many restrictions that get in the way of everyday use. Simple things like;

Not allowing me to complete a task using the app of my choice.

Not being able to download files from my browser (something I do almost daily)

Efficient swipe keyboards

Plus all the smart features on my S8.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
What Project Treble Means for Future Custom ROM Development xda-developers.com

This should help give Android phones the ability to receive Apple-like updates, at least on flagship phones. While the average Android flagship receives 2 major updates in a 24 month period, iPhone devices get a minimum of 4 years of iOS updates, including minor ones.

https://www.xda-developers.com/project-treble-custom-rom-development/

Oreo has a game-changing Android feature
Bgr.com
How cool would it be for non-Pixel devices to get almost instant Android updates? That’s something Google was never able to achieve no matter how much it tried. Android fragmentation is a major defeat that was almost always sold as an advantage to the user. But it definitely isn’t.

Oreo has a game-changing Android feature, but you won’t even realize it’s there – BGR

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
1-3 are just plain silly. iMessage only works with iOS, your SMS works with everything. I text people with both and nobody ever had a problem with anybody else's messages or emoji.

If iMessage and emoji are priorities for you then you have no business using a Note or Galaxy S because they're tools not toys.

Updates is the hyper-used term to address iOS shortcomings. iOS "updates" are 90% patches and bug fixes and you get exactly the same from Samsung, MONTHLY patches and bug fixes.

iOS "updates" to "new" versions to give you the illusion that you're getting something special--Samsung has moved it core apps to the Play Store and their own store so while Android might be a bit behind all you system apps are up to date, Apple has to update it's entire OS.

Lastly, when iOS gets new features, they're new to iPhone users and years old to everyone else.

For me personally, it all comes down to usefulness--I CANNOT work within the confines of iOS, entirely too many restrictions that get in the way of everyday use. Simple things like;

Not allowing me to complete a task using the app of my choice.

Not being able to download files from my browser (something I do almost daily)

Efficient swipe keyboards

Plus all the smart features on my S8.
S8 ??? You need to get the real tool, Note 8.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

This is the misconception that people have regarding updates on iOS vs. those on Android. Most Android OEMs have moved their core apps to the Play Store. Not to mention that Google updates their Play Services frequently as well, which can actually have some significant changes in it. If you're on iOS and they want to update their Calendar or Messages app, they do an entire OS update, because they have to. The updates between the two platforms are not synonymous with one another. Sure, Apple is usually pretty good with bug fixes and takes care of major bugs pretty regularly, the OS is not bug free. I have tons of annoying bugs on my 6s+ that have not been fixed on iOS 11 yet. One is notifications that won't disappear, and won't do so without a reboot. I also have Touch ID fail frequently and have to put in my passcode. Didn't have this issue on iOS 10. Another is even worse - if I try to quick reply to an iMessage, the box will vanish mid-sentence and I have to go in and open the app and start over sometimes, other times my message is still sitting there. VERY ANNOYING.

I just kind of wanted to interject my thoughts as someone who loves Android and iOS, both. As neither are perfect, but there are some serious misconceptions regarding the two platforms out there.

angelpie1976

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Was the X just not worth it? Curious, I'm looking at getting that, coming from an s8+.
I had an X and was super disappointed. Even though the screen was bigger than my 7Plus I could not get past the actual phone being smaller. I switched to the Note 8 but am really have a hard time leaving imessage. Sad thing is I love this phone.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
That’s right. Because the second they do the flood of people switching will be great. I switch back and forth constantly. Just returned my X and went back to the 8 plus. Want to switch back to the Note 8. I have two weeks to make the decision as my wife is due for a new phone and I could give her my 8 plus and get the Note 8 for me. Decisions decisions.

How did you like the switch from the X to the 8 Plus? I'm big on pictures and videos so the dual stabilization is pulling me to the X or the Note 8

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

So this is actually completely untrue and been discussed upthread. Yes, you can text between Android's and iPhones. But for group chats, especially when everyone ion the group chat has iphones, if you go from iPhone to Android you don't get those chats anymore. Happened to me when I went to note 7 last year, and I missed quite a few important discussions before I realized what was going on. That is the issue, everyone else has to close out that chat on every phone involved in that specific chat, or else you never get the updates. It's stupid, probably intentional and unethical on Apple's part, but that is a sticking point.

Not sure the toy vs tool was specific to emoji usage, or the OS in general. I work with a lot of people who use both OS, I mean the apps are so similar these days, when I swap back and forth it's not that major. I find the biggest difference is around customization, but actual apps work very closely, perhaps dependant on industry.

secfol

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site

secfol

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
you can use some messaging apps like WhatsApp.. but you will loose some features from imsgs.. its sounds like imsgs vs bunch of features from android.. you cant keep both two worlds for the moment, maybe in the future.. so pick which one can serve you most..

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got suck in to the apple ecosystem and got out of it when the note 8 came out. I formerly had the iPhone 7 plus but was bored of it and this year conference didn't wow me, so I made the decision to jump to the note 8, which I don't regret. iPhone X seems like any other iPhone that I had beside the physical hardware changes. They didn't persuade me to upgrade to it.

Despite most of the people uses either iPhone or Android, we typically commute via Facebook messenger, so for me leaving from iMessage wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And which is nice that I have people who uses different platforms and we all rely on FB messenger for communication.

iOS 11 doesn't wow me, I have it updated on my iPad and the control center is so ugly and I prefer iOS 10 control center on the iPad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084