Thinking about getting the Note 8, advice needed please

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I've got an opportunity to either get the Note 8 or iPhone 8. I'm leaning towards the Note 8 because I can get a $200 dollar gift card if I get it. I'll be getting it through Xfinity Mobile as I just signed up for cable and internet with them so I'm able to get it with no money down with a $200 gift card. My question is how many of you use it as your daily driver? Have you found that it's too large at times? How is the smaller battery than the S8 plus? Is 6.3 inches just too large to you guys or is it easy to use? Overall how do you like your Note 8 and how different is it from the S8 plus. I ask bc I owned the regular S8 and I didn't care for it much. Is the screen as curved as much as the S8 plus is or is it more flat? Just overall curious of what your thoughts were on the device and how you've liked it or if you've not liked it. I'm trying to decide whether to get it or just get the iPhone 8 instead. There is not a promotion on the iPhone 8 but it's cheaper than the Note 8 already. The $200 gift card that I'd get with the Note 8 is what started making me consider it but the size of it is what I'm concerned with as a daily driver phone. I'd be more inclined to use it as a second device and media device and keep my honor 8 as my daily driver. Anyways I was just curious of what you guys thought about it so far and if it's worth getting or not. Thanks for any help and advice.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
A.) I've been a Note Guy since the Note 4 so I've been "Sold" on S-Pen for quite a while and use it all the time!
B.) I didn't have an S8 or S8+ for comparison - I was using an S7 Active after they took away my Note 7 and while waiting for the Note 8. I looked at the S8 and S8+ at the AT&T Store when they first came out - the curve is much tighter on the Note 8 so less noticeable, I think.
C.) It is my daily driver and I wouldn't use anything else - I don't find it too large but it is big! The battery works fine and is really not much noticeably worse than the 4000 mAh battery that was in my S7 Active. I have always hated Apple products so I will not advise you on that product... I'll let someone else take over from here.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm an avid Note fan. I've had just about every phone out there and hands down Is recommend the Note 8 over the IPhone. This is currently my only phone though sometimes I have backups etc. This phone is incredible. Indie it often for work and also personal. It gets a lot of use and I've been thoroughly enjoying it since I received on Sept 7.

Not too big, but then again I prefer larger phones like this.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
The preference for the size of a phone is fairly subjective from one person to the next. The note 8 is quite a bit bigger than the iPhone 8. It's closer to the 8 plus. My best device on size would be to get it and try it for the 2 weeks and see if you like it. I love the Note 8 size. I usually use it without a case, though. With a case it's bigger, but still good for me when I use it.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
the note 8 is the best phone in 2017 forget what the youtubers say test it for yourself i just got the note 8 coming from an 8 year i phone user my last iphone was the 7 plus note 8 blows it out the water and any iphone after that

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
The X and S8 are close in size/wt.

With a soft case on S8+ it is easier to hold and prevent slipping plus covers the edge, but not the screen, adds a small lip too. And 22g lighter. I bought N8 but in the end wanted something slightly smaller.

The iPhone 8 is 4.7" and ancient 3 yr old design.

convergent

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
So I've got an opportunity to either get the Note 8 or iPhone 8. I'm leaning towards the Note 8 because I can get a $200 dollar gift card if I get it. I'll be getting it through Xfinity Mobile as I just signed up for cable and internet with them so I'm able to get it with no money down with a $200 gift card. My question is how many of you use it as your daily driver? Have you found that it's too large at times? How is the smaller battery than the S8 plus? Is 6.3 inches just too large to you guys or is it easy to use? Overall how do you like your Note 8 and how different is it from the S8 plus. I ask bc I owned the regular S8 and I didn't care for it much. Is the screen as curved as much as the S8 plus is or is it more flat? Just overall curious of what your thoughts were on the device and how you've liked it or if you've not liked it. I'm trying to decide whether to get it or just get the iPhone 8 instead. There is not a promotion on the iPhone 8 but it's cheaper than the Note 8 already. The $200 gift card that I'd get with the Note 8 is what started making me consider it but the size of it is what I'm concerned with as a daily driver phone. I'd be more inclined to use it as a second device and media device and keep my honor 8 as my daily driver. Anyways I was just curious of what you guys thought about it so far and if it's worth getting or not. Thanks for any help and advice.
I've not used an S8 or S8+. I did handle them all in the store in comparison to the iPhone 6s+ that was my daily driver for the prior two years. I prefer the Note 8 to the other two, but could barely tell the difference between Note 8 and S8+.

The Note 8 also has the S-pen, more RAM, optical zoom, and a newer version of Samsung's software. My main computer is a Surface Pro, and I heavily use One note for pen notes so the S-pen is very useful to me.

Bottom line is I love the Note 8. It is more comparible in size to the iPhone 8+ than the 8. If you consider the larger iPhone to not be too big, then the Note 8 will be fine. If you think the larger iPhone is too big, don't get the Note.

Battery is comparible to my 6s+, so no complaints there.

My daughter got an iPhone 8 at the same time I got my Note 8. The 8 is a nice device. You can't go wrong between them. I would have been pretty bored going from 6s to 8, and annoyed that I lost my headphones jack.

FYI, I also had an Apple Watch for two years, and replaced it with a Gear S3 Frontier. I like the Gear S3 as well as I like the Note 8. Way better in the gym, and Samsung Pay in the US is better that Apple Pay.

peterburns

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had Notes since the 3...... Samsung nailed the size/shape/weight of the N8 ... My iPhone 6+ feels awkward in hand now ...

jejjr81

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
I came from the iPhone 7 Plus to the Note 8. A little over a week in I'm in love. the battery, the freedom and the size are all perfect.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I came from the iPhone 7 Plus to the Note 8. A little over a week in I'm in love. the battery, the freedom and the size are all perfect.
Do you find the battery comparable between the two?

*Edit* I'm coming from an iP7+ myself and looking at getting the N8 or Pixel XL 2 (depending on BF deal offers). The iP7+ battery is awesome for me and I would hate to downgrade.

Last edited:

SwissCheese06

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 8!

- bigger screen (infinity display)
- customizable UI
- SPen
- Bixby (soon they will upgrade it into Bixby 2.0)
- excellent camera
- expandable memory (SD cards)
- dual SIM

You won't regret it !

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site

Xfinity runs off the Verizon network, so you'll get pretty good service.
My daily driver is my note 8.
I have a Pixel for other things I need. And a Huawei mate 10 pro my son gave me from Sprint.
The note 8 is the best phone by far.
I'm on Sprint's network
and my Pixel unlocked is currently on At&t.
Enjoy your note 8. You will quickly see that it will become your favorite phone.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you find the battery comparable between the two?

*Edit* I'm coming from an iP7+ myself and looking at getting the N8 or Pixel XL 2 (depending on BF deal offers). The iP7+ battery is awesome for me and I would hate to downgrade.

I have and use both (iPhone 7+ and Note 8) on a daily basis. I have both devices set up similarly as far as apps and features. The one difference is that I use an Apple Watch so I have Bluetooth on with the iPhone and do not use Bluetooth on the Note. My daily use is split pretty evenly between the two. For me, I find the battery consumption very comparable between the two and usually end my day with similar remaining battery percentages on both.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Hi pal; you have/had the N6P and like myself, loved the phone (remember discussing about it over on the Nexus 6P section). We both know how good that phone is

Believe me, apart from the non-Oreo experience and no stereo speakers (for some people that's a biggy etc); the Note 8 is very much better than the N6P

It puts the screen to shame, it's lightning fast, it's build quality is superb, it's slick and extremely customisable and it has expandable storage!

I've only had mine 2 days, but so far, it's absolutely superb!

I'd highly recommend one

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for your feedback and advice. I'm definitely on the fence only bc I was exclusively Apple for many long years only coming to Android a little over a year ago now. The $200 gift card is tempting as I could use it to pay towards the phone and get a few accessories for it. There is no promotion on the iPhone but on the other hand the iPhone 6s was always my favorite phone so I think I'd be fine going back to the 4.7 inch screen size. It's definitely a tough call for me because I've truly never been sold on Android but the Note 8 does appear to be a superior device and definitely worth getting. I've got to wait until my cable and internet are hooked up and running before Xfinity will give me an available line to order my phone so probably by Tuesday I'll be placing my order. Most of you have highly recommended the Note 8 so that does help me out a lot. Really now knowing the Note 8 is definitely worth getting I've got to decide whether I want to go smaller or larger. Right now I have a brand new honor 8 which this is my third time owning this device as I always default back to it after I try something new. Not sure why I like the honor 8 so much but if I get the note 8 I'll probably keep my honor and respect rotate out the two devices. If I get the iPhone 8 the honor 8 will be returned as I see no need for two smaller devices. I've got a tough decision ahead but at least now I know that the Note 8 is definitely worth getting. My other question which this drove me insane when I owned the S8 is the bixby button. Can you disable the bixby button on the Note 8 or remap it? I pressed that dang button 10 times a day by mistake and it drove me crazy. I could not stand that button and Samsung forcing bixby down your throat. Let me know if you can now disable or remap bixby and again thanks to all of your replies. They were extremely helpful to me.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
That iphone 8 is just a 3rd edition of the 6/6S ;-)

The Galaxy S8+ is a step down from N8 but fits in my hand better.
Samsung will it seems have an early 2018 goodies in the form of S9/S9+ with Snapdragon 845. And Oreo 8.1. Bixby 2.0. (You can turn it off. There are so many tasks it can do, multiple steps from a single command. Look for the Bixby thread.)

I think the iPhone X needs time, as does iOS 11. By the time iP X 2.0 is out so will the N9. And better value for that much bread.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Bixby can be knocked off; exactly what I've done already as there's little on it that'll I'll actually utilise, but also, it appears to be useless at recognising my voice, even though I followed the steps setting it up :confused:

The Note 8, for me, is so much better than the iPhone8/8Plus, it shouldn't be compared

Like the above, it's just an iPhone 6 reincarnation with a few little extras; the Note 8 is a new generation of a phone, IMO

The size of the phone does sound daunting, but as a phablet fan (and owner of slab like hands) it's a perfect size for me. But also, the way it's designed, it's more along the feel of the Nexus 6P in terms of thickness and width, but that bit taller for the better real estate of its screen!

Personally, any phone under 5.5" will never be considered, just too small and a 4.7" screen to me is laughable! I'd spend half my time squinting or retyping messages due to fat-finger syndrome! ;)

convergent

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
If you don't need or want the S pen... a Galaxy S8+ gives you all the benefits of the Note 8 at a much lower price
Not all. The Note 8 also gives you 6G of RAM, optical zoom, and a new version of Samsung's software that adds some other things which you may or may not get on the S8+. I also like the Note 8 physical form better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz