Best Note app for SPen

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I use OneNote extensively at work, and would like to use my Note 8 with the pen to take notes, etc. and integrate. Unfortunately the OneNote app seems to have a pretty bad latency, and I just don't like using it, the lag is frustrating.

What else do you guys use for notes/lists/project management on the Note? I'm really digging the pen, and not taking my crappy office laptop to every meeting would be great, if I can figure out a good workflow...

Lyspaere

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm no connoisseur of these kinds of things, but I stick predominately to Google Keep, & use OneNote when I have time to be a little more futzy.

Haven't even really tried anything else, as these two are sufficient for my needs. Others may be of more help, but those're my 2¢.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just use Sammy's Note app, it's really well-designed IMO. If it's a work note, I email to my work addy as a PDF. It's handy actually to have my handwritten notes in my work Outlook with all my other stuff, backed-up forever. This is a kludge, but it's a low-friction one for me.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I really like squid. I like to be able to use a black background and I can't find that on Samsung notes.

Squid also has some really good templates for notes, my favorite of which is a baseball box score template.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
That looks really cool, especially as a lefty it might help quite a bit. Where do you tend to carry this and you walk around?

Sorry guys, I don't mean to hijack my own thread here.

Just got it, so for now I have it in my briefcase, as when I need it, I'll know in advance (other times, the built in pen is fine). It's long.. Was actually wondering whether I could shorten it but for now will leave as is. I find the ergonomics so much better vs the small, flat spen that it was worth a shot as an experiment. I wish the built in pen were thicker/more round but there's not the space inside the phone (unless Sammy changes something). It doesn't have the function button fyi and you have to turn off the spen power saving to use it unless you want to pop out the spen when you use the pencil (no idea of battery impact.. Probably not that much, but TBD).

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess my problem is that I would like to be able to create, for example, a list, then translate it, and attach it in a simple way to a page in OneNote. Right now, using Samsung Notes, I end up translating at the end, saving text into an email, then opening on my laptop. This doesn't work very well if I also had a drawing, etc.

I'll just have to try few different apps, maybe I can find a better flow...

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Comment Retracted (although keep doesn't sound like it helps your workflow; translating text in the middle of your workflow sounds like a lot of effort though).

Last edited:

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using OneNote...it isn't too bad for me...I'd be open to using Samsung Notes if they hadn't dropped support for syncing notes to Windows PC's...I need "flow"...OneNote brings that to me...

I've tried using Keep but OneNote works better for me.

This said, I do use ScreenOff Memo's often for quick notes.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using OneNote...it isn't too bad for me...I'd be open to using Samsung Notes if they hadn't dropped support for syncing notes to Windows PC's...I need "flow"...OneNote brings that to me...

I've tried using Keep but OneNote works better for me.

This said, I do use ScreenOff Memo's often for quick notes.

Looks like snote (not Samsung notes, the basic note taker, but snote, the full note taker) syncs to Evernote, which is available on multiple platforms.. That's probably why Samsung dropped their own and just decided to stick with Evernote integration. You can download snote from the Galaxy app store. If you're good with Evernote and like it, it plus snote would be an alternative to OneNote. I've also seen snote called S-Note (the naming is a bit kludgey). For some reason, Samsung (at least on vzw, my carrier), doesn't preload snote, probably because everyone was according them of too much bloatware. But, snote has many more features and many really like it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Looks like snote (not Samsung notes, the basic note taker, but snote, the full note taker) syncs to Evernote, which is available on multiple platforms.. That's probably why Samsung dropped their own and just decided to stick with Evernote integration. You can download snote from the Galaxy app store. If you're good with Evernote and like it, it plus snote would be an alternative to OneNote. I've also seen snote called S-Note (the naming is a bit kludgey). For some reason, Samsung (at least on vzw, my carrier), doesn't preload snote, probably because everyone was according them of too much bloatware. But, snote has many more features and many really like it.
Actually S Note is the older app. It's the one that first appeared on the original Notes, and it synced to Evernote even then. Samsung Notes is the newer one

convergent

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I use OneNote on the Note 8 and Surface Pro and I've not seen any latency issues. I created a shortcut for so when I take out the pen, its right there on the air menu. I can edit inking back and forth between the devices.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Actually S Note is the older app. It's the one that first appeared on the original Notes, and it synced to Evernote even then. Samsung Notes is the newer one

Yes, SNote is older and samsung notes is newer, but Samsung tells me that S Note will continue to be supported. (I was able to download Snote from the galaxy app store, not some side load of old software, so I don't reach much for now into new vs. old )

edit:: here's the sentence from the Samsung email reply (fwiw):
"We kindly inform you that the two services are similar, but have some key features that make them unique. In this case, please note that you that we will continue the S Note service, since it is available on older and newer devices."

Last edited:

sll1313

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, SNote is older and samsung notes is newer, but Samsung tells me that S Note will continue to be supported. (I was able to download Snote from the galaxy app store, not some side load of old software, so I don't reach much for now into new vs. old )

edit:: here's the sentence from the Samsung email reply (fwiw):
"We kindly inform you that the two services are similar, but have some key features that make them unique. In this case, please note that you that we will continue the S Note service, since it is available on older and newer devices."

The issue is the original S Note app is the superior app to Samsung Notes. If you are unfamiliar with it. It contains features like Action Memo, Photo Note, Easy Chart, Idea Sketch, Scrapbook, and more. There newest app is inferior, by a landslide. The only capability that Samsung Notes has that S Note doesn’t is the brushes. Other than that, S Note can do everything that Samsung Notes can, but a whole lot more. It really showed off the power of the S Pen. Whoever over at Samsung decided to get rid of the original app, in my opinion, should honestly be fired immediately!!! It was the worst decision they could’ve made! You will find similar views all over the web. There have been petitions that have been discussed and we are all hoping they either bring it back or add all of its features to the generic, inferior Samsung Notes. The new version of Samsung Notes is so much worse than the original S Note app that there are numerous people that even suggest to download the S Note version from the Play Store because they think that version is even superior to Samsung Notes. I really hope Samsung wakes up and doesn’t screw this up as they have other things.