Bixby Remap - Who has done it?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
There are a bunch of apps on the Play Store that provide the ability to remap the Bixby button to something useful for those of us who don't use Bixby. In reading the app reviews, there's always this percentage of users who discover difficulties/incompatibilities/ect, once they map that button.

Who here has done this?
Is it working reliably for you?
Which app did you use?
What have you mapped the button to?

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine is just a dead button right now since I don't want to accidentally open anything and unnecessarily run down my battery. That and I never could get BK Disabler to actually remap the button reliably.

BUT, there was an update today to BK Plugin 2 that was supposed to fix button remapping issues- haven't tried it yet.

Edit to add screenshot:
968f8781628efc06c9f7b308e46ec2a4.jpg

tuckertje01

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I have been using Bixby Remapper for a while now, and I love it. I have remapped the button to open gallery instead, but I'm still using Bixby voice commands occasionally.
I also use Button Mapper to have more uses for double click and long press volume up/down buttons. The reason why I chose these apps instead of others like BxActions is that the others require installing using a computer and they change some inner settings of the phone, which I don't like at all.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine is just a dead button right now since I don't want to accidentally open anything and unnecessarily run down my battery. That and I never could get BK Disabler to actually remap the button reliably.

BUT, there was an update today to BK Plugin 2 that was supposed to fix button remapping issues- haven't tried it yet.

Edit to add screenshot://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171113/968f8781628efc06c9f7b308e46ec2a4.jpg

Not real clear on the intersection of BK Package Disabler and remapping the Bixby button.
More info?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Bixby Remapper for a while now, and I love it. I have remapped the button to open gallery instead, but I'm still using Bixby voice commands occasionally.
I also use Button Mapper to have more uses for double click and long press volume up/down buttons. The reason why I chose these apps instead of others like BxActions is that the others require installing using a computer and they change some inner settings of the phone, which I don't like at all.

True. I think bxactions requires ADB. I agree - I may want to avoid that if possible.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
How did you guys remap it without bixby not launching? The remapping won't work if I disable Bixby home.
Well, I actually never setup Bixby to begin with so it doesn't even launch at all when I remap it with BxActions. I even have my Bixby home disabled as well.

tuckertje01

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
How did you guys remap it without bixby not launching? The remapping won't work if I disable Bixby home.
I did not disable Bixby, just remapped with Bixby Remapper. That way the button can be used for a different purpose and I still can use Bixby voice commands. Best of both worlds.

Methos1979

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
There are a bunch of apps on the Play Store that provide the ability to remap the Bixby button to something useful for those of us who don't use Bixby. In reading the app reviews, there's always this percentage of users who discover difficulties/incompatibilities/ect, once they map that button.

Who here has done this?
Is it working reliably for you?
Which app did you use?
What have you mapped the button to?

I did it.
It works reliably for me.
I use BK Disabler.
I mapped Google Maps to the button.

Note that I also still have Bixby voice activated and use it for just a couple programmed Voice Commands. Not a big fan of Bixby but there are a couple things it can do that I want it for.

nm3th

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm using Button Mapper to repurpose the Bixby button. Long press brings up Bixby, short press is the back button, double press to go home. This works great as I like to hide the navigation bar on the bottom. It's also easier to hit the button on the side then to swipe from the bottom to bring up the navigation bar.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just tried bxactions.

It didn't need ADB to do simple stuff like mapping the button to Google Assistant.

But, it flashes the Bixby screen when the button is pressed, which is distracting enough for me to uninstall it. To me, it feels like a kludge.

I'll just live with a disabled button!

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I just tried bxactions.

It didn't need ADB to do simple stuff like mapping the button to Google Assistant.

But, it flashes the Bixby screen when the button is pressed, which is distracting enough for me to uninstall it. To me, it feels like a kludge.

I'll just live with a disabled button!
You may need to completely reset or disable Bixby. I didn't even bother to set it up when I got my Note 8 so it doesn't even launch at all when it's remapped with BxActions.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...
Have to check that.

I had the button disabled, but bxactions didn't work. So I went and turned it back on and bxactions worked, but with the Bixby short flash.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I cleared all data in Bixby and the flash is less, but still there.
Definitely not as bad.
Still not sure I'll stick with bxactions.