There are a bunch of apps on the Play Store that provide the ability to remap the Bixby button to something useful for those of us who don't use Bixby. In reading the app reviews, there's always this percentage of users who discover difficulties/incompatibilities/ect, once they map that button.

Who here has done this?
    Is it working reliably for you?
    Which app did you use?
    What have you mapped the button to?
    11-13-2017 01:08 PM
    Mine is just a dead button right now since I don't want to accidentally open anything and unnecessarily run down my battery. That and I never could get BK Disabler to actually remap the button reliably.

BUT, there was an update today to BK Plugin 2 that was supposed to fix button remapping issues- haven't tried it yet.

Edit to add screenshot:
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    11-13-2017 01:17 PM
    I have been using Bixby Remapper for a while now, and I love it. I have remapped the button to open gallery instead, but I'm still using Bixby voice commands occasionally.
    I also use Button Mapper to have more uses for double click and long press volume up/down buttons. The reason why I chose these apps instead of others like BxActions is that the others require installing using a computer and they change some inner settings of the phone, which I don't like at all.
    11-13-2017 01:23 PM
    Mine is just a dead button right now since I don't want to accidentally open anything and unnecessarily run down my battery. That and I never could get BK Disabler to actually remap the button reliably.

BUT, there was an update today to BK Plugin 2 that was supposed to fix button remapping issues- haven't tried it yet.

Edit to add screenshot:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...08e46ec2a4.jpg
    Not real clear on the intersection of BK Package Disabler and remapping the Bixby button.
    More info?
    11-13-2017 01:26 PM
    Not real clear on the intersection of BK Package Disabler and remapping the Bixby button.
    More info?
    It's a built in feature of the app.
    11-13-2017 01:27 PM
    I have been using Bixby Remapper for a while now, and I love it. I have remapped the button to open gallery instead, but I'm still using Bixby voice commands occasionally.
    I also use Button Mapper to have more uses for double click and long press volume up/down buttons. The reason why I chose these apps instead of others like BxActions is that the others require installing using a computer and they change some inner settings of the phone, which I don't like at all.
    True. I think bxactions requires ADB. I agree - I may want to avoid that if possible.
    11-13-2017 01:27 PM
    It's a built in feature of the app.
    Really? Interesting...
    11-13-2017 01:28 PM
    Really? Interesting...
    Yep.
    sandra_17 likes this.
    11-13-2017 01:30 PM
    I just use BxActions app to remap the bixby button. Very simple app.
    11-13-2017 01:47 PM
    How did you guys remap it without bixby not launching? The remapping won't work if I disable Bixby home.
    11-13-2017 03:15 PM
    How did you guys remap it without bixby not launching? The remapping won't work if I disable Bixby home.
    Well, I actually never setup Bixby to begin with so it doesn't even launch at all when I remap it with BxActions. I even have my Bixby home disabled as well.
    11-13-2017 03:20 PM
    I did not disable Bixby, just remapped with Bixby Remapper. That way the button can be used for a different purpose and I still can use Bixby voice commands. Best of both worlds.
    11-13-2017 04:03 PM
    I feel like those extra remap apps do more harm than good..
    11-13-2017 04:07 PM
    There are a bunch of apps on the Play Store that provide the ability to remap the Bixby button to something useful for those of us who don't use Bixby. In reading the app reviews, there's always this percentage of users who discover difficulties/incompatibilities/ect, once they map that button.

Who here has done this?
    Is it working reliably for you?
    Which app did you use?
    What have you mapped the button to?
    I did it.
    It works reliably for me.
    I use BK Disabler.
    I mapped Google Maps to the button.

Note that I also still have Bixby voice activated and use it for just a couple programmed Voice Commands. Not a big fan of Bixby but there are a couple things it can do that I want it for.
    11-13-2017 04:40 PM
    I'm using Button Mapper to repurpose the Bixby button. Long press brings up Bixby, short press is the back button, double press to go home. This works great as I like to hide the navigation bar on the bottom. It's also easier to hit the button on the side then to swipe from the bottom to bring up the navigation bar.
    11-13-2017 05:31 PM
    i used bixby button to activate Google assistant
    11-13-2017 07:01 PM
    I just tried bxactions.

It didn't need ADB to do simple stuff like mapping the button to Google Assistant.

But, it flashes the Bixby screen when the button is pressed, which is distracting enough for me to uninstall it. To me, it feels like a kludge.

I'll just live with a disabled button!
    11-13-2017 08:09 PM
    I just tried bxactions.

It didn't need ADB to do simple stuff like mapping the button to Google Assistant.

But, it flashes the Bixby screen when the button is pressed, which is distracting enough for me to uninstall it. To me, it feels like a kludge.

I'll just live with a disabled button!
    You may need to completely reset or disable Bixby. I didn't even bother to set it up when I got my Note 8 so it doesn't even launch at all when it's remapped with BxActions.
    11-13-2017 08:20 PM
    Hmmm...
    Have to check that.

I had the button disabled, but bxactions didn't work. So I went and turned it back on and bxactions worked, but with the Bixby short flash.
    11-13-2017 08:26 PM
    I cleared all data in Bixby and the flash is less, but still there.
    Definitely not as bad.
    Still not sure I'll stick with bxactions.
    11-13-2017 08:33 PM
    Bkplugin just updated so their remapping tool is working. However, I get annoyed when Bixby open for a milisecond before the mapped app opens. Anyway to avoid Bixby from opening at all. Would like to see the app that is mapped open instantly when the button is pressed without lag. Anyone experiencing the same?
    11-13-2017 10:01 PM
    Bkplugin just updated so their remapping tool is working. However, I get annoyed when Bixby open for a milisecond before the mapped app opens. Anyway to avoid Bixby from opening at all. Would like to see the app that is mapped open instantly when the button is pressed without lag. Anyone experiencing the same?
    With Bixby Remapper I don't see Bixby, not even for a millisecond. I guess the best thing for you to do is try them all to see which one works best for you.
    11-14-2017 03:09 AM
    mike104393
    My point exactly.

tuckertje01
    K. I'll give it a go. Thanks!
    11-14-2017 08:23 AM
    It looks like if you've already used, launched or setup Bixby you'll need to somehow disable it in order for remapping apps to work. Having tried Bixby and not liking it on my S8 made me not even want to start Bixby when I got my Note 8 and I immediately remapped it. So it doesn't even open when I press the button. My app that I have mapped to it opens instantly.
    mike104393 likes this.
    11-14-2017 09:19 AM
    I've used bxactions both ways: Bixby disabled (dumped data, did not wake it up) and Bixby enabled.

Bxactions didn't work for me with Bixby disabled - nothing happens on the button push. It worked when Bixby was enabled.

I plan to take a look at Button Remapper.
    11-14-2017 01:32 PM
43 12