They're not remotely close in functionality. S Note, and its Action Memo component are feature rich productivity tools. Samsung Notes is basically a scratch pad for notes, drawing and doodling.

There are many videos on YouTube showing its features as far back as I believe for all Notes. Check them out, you may end up liking it

When the Nougat update came for my Note 5, it included an update to a "newer" version of S Note. Some of its features were removed. There was no way to uninstall the update and side load an older version. That's why I'm now leary of ANY updates.
    Yeah, if you allow Play Store to update S Note (or Samsung Notes) it will wipe out the sideloaded version of Action Memo if you just went through the trouble of installing that! So make damned sure you turn OFF "Auto Update" on S-Note!
    sandra_17 and reinbeau like this.
    Yesterday 12:55 AM
    Yeah, if you allow Play Store to update S Note (or Samsung Notes) it will wipe out the sideloaded version of Action Memo if you just went through the trouble of installing that! So make damned sure you turn OFF "Auto Update" on S-Note!
    I had it off everywhere. That wasn't when it updated. I guess it somehow was built into the Nougat OS upgrade/update. And it was then uninstallable (normally you can uninstall the updates). It wasn't with a version that removed Action Memo, but some other S Note features. That's why I'm paranoid now, lol!
    jimd1050 likes this.
    Yesterday 07:48 AM
    I just realized my action memo is gone too and for some reason I can't reinstall the file I already have. I'm downloading everything again

Update. I just reset the phone, then reinstalled the action memo files and everything's working good again
    jimd1050 and reinbeau like this.
    Yesterday 12:20 PM
    I just realized my action memo is gone too and for some reason I can't reinstall the file I already have. I'm downloading everything again
    AT&T Note 8 - Software update 11/14/17-laugh_6b.jpg
    Yesterday 02:59 PM
    I had it off everywhere. That wasn't when it updated. I guess it somehow was built into the Nougat OS upgrade/update. And it was then uninstallable (normally you can uninstall the updates). It wasn't with a version that removed Action Memo, but some other S Note features. That's why I'm paranoid now, lol!
    AT&T Note 8 - Software update 11/14/17-laugh_7b.jpg
    Yesterday 03:02 PM
    T-MOBILE USA East coast

Got the update early today. Got an error after my phone reboot and i had to do factory reset using Samsung web recover because i couldn't find the way to get into recovery mode and try clearing the cache partition first.

Save Mode didn't work either.
    I suppose that the issue was caused for Substratum layers. I forgot deactivated them before reboot. My bad :/

Anyway, after FR everything is ok now
    Yesterday 03:52 PM
    Oh crap! Sorry that happened! Please let us know if you get it back.
    Yesterday 04:00 PM
    I just restarted the phone again and reinstalled the files. It's working again
    sandra_17 likes this.
    Yesterday 06:07 PM
83 ... 234