Tempered glass screen protector recommendation.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone got a good glass screen protector they would recommend. I've tried a few without success, either experienced issues with responsiveness or the glass won't fit correctly. Decided to rock this without a screen protector but I feel the gods will make me regret that decision one day.

Zach Menzer

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
ATT was nice enough to let me try the Bodyguardz screen protector before buying. The agent I worked with said this was a second batch as the first one had issues. He even said he was skeptical that they are any good because of the curved screen. So. He put it on. It was horrible. It basically doesn't go all the way down the sides and the adhesive is only on the sides so it does not have a complete seal. Touch sensitivity was unchanged during the time I had it on. That's a plus. But I immediately took it off. Because of it being raised on the side you can't really do a swipe in from either edge. It literally felt like if you did it was going to come off. Stay away.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
My favourite so far is the techmatte, the Vigeer had the best full screen coverage but adhesive gave up the ghost in just 24 hours.
Smash-it worked well for me too but a few mixed results from people on the forum

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
There are endless posts on this topic. My summary would be this:

- Affordable glass protectors are basically all the same: they have adhesive on the edges, they don't stay on, fuzz/debris collects along the edges and look horrible, touch sensitivity is poor - especially at the edges, and the ratings on Amazon are typically horrible for a good reason.

- There is a very expensive option that some owners swear by - and that's really great for them. However, there are many owners that report bad experiences for a number of reasons and importantly, the company does not provide refunds or free replacements, causing some owners to pay north of $100 for repeat applications.

- Film can work for some, but all film products have the same drawbacks - they don't work as well with the stylus, have orange peel and don't protect as well.

So, pick your poison. Film has pretty good reviews, but it won't get any better - glass may. I think it's generally agreed here that there's yet to be a glass solution that works for even "most" buyers. We are all waiting for a generally-accepted product for the N8.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's the screen protectors that are bad, I think it's the cases one chooses.

I used the i-blason tempered glass until this past Wednesday when I switched cases.

I had no problems with more protective cases, but as soon as I switched to a thin, less protective case, it squeezed the sides if the protector, I had problems touching the screen, and dust made its way underneath.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
The only one I have tried that actually works well in regards to touch sensitivity is the amFilm Glass Protector. It still only has edge adhesive, but it works with my Spigen NeoHybrid case. Been on for about a month without peeling off.
I have tried 5 different tgp, & this is the only one without touch issues.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
There are many options as far as tempered glass protectors. I am not sure why there is such a diversity of opinions with each of these. My gut feeling is that some of these aren't as easy to install as they appear to be.

I have a Zagg screen protector which is an edge only adherent type. I have had mine on for 2 months with none of the dust under the edges or on the screen that some people complain about. Screen responsiveness is great.

Why is my experience different from those that complain? I think because I had mine installed by a Verizon representative who knew what he was doing. The other representatives in the store felt uncomfortable installing protectors on phones with curved edges and deferred to this one guy. He told me that a lot can go wrong with what appears to be a simple procedure. For example, if the edges of the protector aren't pressed around far enough, the flat portion of the protector will not be flush enough against the screen. This will result in screen response problems and a gap at the top and bottom which will allow dust to get under the protector.

So my recommendation, regardless of the protector you select, is to get someone, who is an expert, do the installation for you.

How do you find that person? Just ask who in the store has worked there the longest and who enjoys installing these protectors. He won't be enjoying his work if people keep coming back and complain about his work.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Very happy that you have a protector that works for you. Unfortunately, the reviews for the Zagg on Amazon are horrible. Could it really be the case that these poor reviews are all b/c they didn't find the one skilled/knowledgeable installer in their zip code to do an install that know one else can understand or do? Maybe/maybe not. Seems like a bit of a stretch to me. But still, you got a protector you like, and that's a good thing.

This situation is just like the folks that buy the expensive N8 glass protector, which also has terrible reviews, and those owners say that it's b/c there are very special installation techniques that apparently few people can do. However that process really is more complicated than simply pushing a protector onto the screen, so it may be the case with that product. Who knows?

Bottom line: there doesn't seem to be a great glass protector that's affordable and one that can be reliably installed successfully by most buyers. Not yet anyway.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Very happy that you have a protector that works for you. Unfortunately, the reviews for the Zagg on Amazon are horrible. Could it really be the case that these poor reviews are all b/c they didn't find the one skilled/knowledgeable installer in their zip code to do an install that know one else can understand or do? Maybe/maybe not. Seems like a bit of a stretch to me. But still, you got a protector you like, and that's a good thing.

This situation is just like the folks that buy the expensive N8 glass protector, which also has terrible reviews, and those owners say that it's b/c there are very special installation techniques that apparently few people can do. However that process really is more complicated than simply pushing a protector onto the screen, so it may be the case with that product. Who knows?

Bottom line: there doesn't seem to be a great glass protector that's affordable and one that can be reliably installed successfully by most buyers. Not yet anyway.

I went through this problem when we got our 7 Edges and just went with the Zagg Invisishield HD I think it's called and when I went to the Kiosk last weekend she even told me people were having problems with the glass Zagg and they were being returned. She recommended I get the same that I had on my 7 edge so I got it and she put it on. I figured it's better than none at all. And she had put 3 protectors on my 7 edge that kept messing up and I trusted her judgement. I am happy with what I got.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Other than the way its installed, what explanation can you offer that would explain why the Zagg works for some and not others?

Perhaps, the quality control on the production of the tempered glass isn't great and I just lucked out by getting a good one?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
... And she had put 3 protectors on my 7 edge that kept messing up and I trusted her judgement. I am happy with what I got.
What did you get? I am unclear about that and why would you trust her judgment if she installed 3 protectors for you that messed up? (In the game I play, 3 strikes and you are out. :)

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with many opinions expressed on this thread. I, like a few, went with a Zagg HD screen protector when I had a Note 7. Had a good experience with it. I'm considering doing the same for the Note 8. However, I like the feel of a glass screen protector and the protection it provides.

I've purchased a few glass screen protectors from Amazon. Only issue that I've experience is the glass will only adhere to the top and bottom. There would be a small gap to the side where it curves.

If you guys find any, please post it as I would love to try it. Thanks!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
This is my first device with curved screen (came from Note 4) and I've been through a few screen protectors already, one issue is how good the adhesive is and also how you put it on, you really need to be quite firm when pressing to get the sides down and to stick, my last one I put on in the afternoon and kept the phone out of the case until next day and picked it up every now and again to give it another good rub around the edges to keep it down and make it stick, it worked perfect even in my case after that, only reason I took it off was that the phone is going in for warranty repair

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a Zagg tempered glass since launch day. No problems at all. I agree that who puts it on has a lot to do with it. I've done my own in the past but never on a curved screen.

bookworm8

Nov 17, 2017
Visit site
I also have the Zagg Glass, and I am very happy with it. I had it installed at a kiosk, and I agree that it would really depend on the person who installed it.

TDUBS205

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you click into the accessories section of the forum before you choose this one, there are tons or threads regarding this. A lot of people are suggesting Whitestone Dome glass protectors and I believe they're fully adhesive. I used one with just adhesive edges and took it off within 5 minutes of use because the touch sensitivity was horrible.

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
It's 50 bucks but the white stone dome is impressive. Just put mine on. Takes about a half hour and that's after I watched some YouTube videos.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If you click into the accessories section of the forum before you choose this one, there are tons or threads regarding this. A lot of people are suggesting Whitestone Dome glass protectors and I believe they're fully adhesive. I used one with just adhesive edges and took it off within 5 minutes of use because the touch sensitivity was horrible.
Just did some research on the dome glass that glass protector is no joke. I can see it is not for the faint of heart.

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
It's the real deal! The parts that come with it are good quality. Everything lines up perfectly. But bottom line, the touch screen response is as good as going naked.