Fingerprint sensor hit or miss

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Works 99 percent of the time for me.
BUT I set it up like I'd be using it.
I put the case on. A case makes it a lot easier to hit the sweet spot cause your finger just wedges up against the case cutout for the fps.
It's got to be a little more difficult without that cutout template for your finger to position itself in..
But I put it in my pocket and on a table and just put it on various places where I might take it out or pick it up while I was setting up the fingerprints.
Not just sit in a chair and wiggle my finger around and around on the sensor.
Set it up like you'll use it.
Might do better for you.

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the location but I don't find it works that well for me. for the first week it was great then it's gone down hill despite reprogramming it. I think it's my dry hands as the weather is getting colder which effects the skin I suppose. it often says make sure finger covers entire sensor rather than does not recognise so I think it does to even find any print!

I agree. I think the sensor looks for diffraction off of the front surface of the sensor's cover glass, and if your fingers are too dry, that doesn't happen.

Regarding another post further down:

I also think it's important that you put your fingers on the sensor when programming it in pretty much the same way as you will ultimately put them on it when using the phone. If you're too deliberate when programming it, then you're locked into doing it that way every time. Of course, the programming prompts sort of force you to do it quite deliberately.

I find that for me, if my fingers are not too wet or too dry, and I get the positioning good, it's surprisingly fast and reliable. But about 30% of the time I have to move my fingertip a bit to get it to "take". Still, that seems very good considering what it's got to do and that it is trying to keep unauthorized fingerprints from activating it.

I can't complain.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
hit. extremely rare for it to fail to read, and I like the placement much better than in the home key.. is a bit quicker to unlock than my note 5 and I like that I don't have any moving parts on the initial press to wear down.

anon(10212606)

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
First phone with fingerprint scanner I had was a note4 ( still use it) fingerprint scanner never works.
Second phone with Fingerprint scanner s7 Edge worked every time.
Third phone with Fingerprint scanner was Sony Xperia XZ Premium, fingersprint scanner hardly ever worked!
Note8 works all the time and I find the position good.

Schlubbe

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
You can set up the same finger multiple times. It's like giving it more looks at the same thing. Both my thumb and index finger of dominant hand are in the phone twice - more likely for it to recognize them