Fingerprint sensor hit or miss

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Set it up again with clean hands (and sensor) and move your finger just a little for every % step in the print reading part of the set-up and it will now work 99% of the time :)

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It's been solid for me. I had to train my brain to pick the phone up in such a manner that my left forefinger rests on the sensor, but it works every time.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My finger lands on it pretty consistently and it works about 80% of the time. I need to re-enter my fingerprints and see if it helps. The location isn't perfect but I can reach it and very rarely miss hitting it the first try. I think it's just a fingerprint reading issue.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the location but I don't find it works that well for me. for the first week it was great then it's gone down hill despite reprogramming it. I think it's my dry hands as the weather is getting colder which effects the skin I suppose. it often says make sure finger covers entire sensor rather than does not recognise so I think it does to even find any print!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the location but I don't find it works that well for me. for the first week it was great then it's gone down hill despite reprogramming it. I think it's my dry hands as the weather is getting colder which effects the skin I suppose. it often says make sure finger covers entire sensor rather than does not recognise so I think it does to even find any print!
And when ypu record ypur finger print you repositon slightly each time right? Have ypu tried a 2nd finger? I havent yet but might. Usually right point findger works best though since sensor isnt centered and its always in my right hand

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I find it's quite consistent, the only issue for me is the location. But if I do manage to touch the sensor properly, then it unlocks the phone pretty much every time.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
And when ypu record ypur finger print you repositon slightly each time right? Have ypu tried a 2nd finger? I havent yet but might. Usually right point findger works best though since sensor isnt centered and its always in my right hand
I moved the finger around a lot to register it. And I have done both index fingers twice. But I still find it inconsistent. When it decides not to work it just won't work. When it works it works every time and is great. I wonder if it is my skin rather than the sensor. The only other fingerprint scanner I have used was on my s7 edge and I had issues with that too. In fact it wouldn't work with my left thumb at all!

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
After a couple of months of use... and elsewhere posting it was wonky and something like 80% or something like that... I'll say right now a solid 95% of time it works and been using much more often.

I haven't re-scanned fingerprints since when I played with it in the beginning so don't know why it's been running better but now use it as much as the iris.

Good to have options... when I look at my notifications on AOD then it's easier to just double tap the notification and my eyes are already lined up from looking at AOD and iris will unlock immediately. When I have phone in pocket or in hand I can get to FPS and screen unlocks by the time I look at it. I don't even have to have FPS fully covered to activate... seems to be reading it even if 2/3 of my finger on sensor.

Don't know what happened... learning with more use? algorithm change with an update? Just hope it stays like this.

Mines probably 98-99% effective

Last edited:

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 fingers registered with multiples scans each and still average about 50% of the time it works on either the S8+ or Note 8. Usually takes me 2 to 3 attempts to work. Def lacking compared to the Pixel or Mate 9 in that dept.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly, I found that if I don't cover the entire scanner, I get better results. To cover the entire scanner, I have to have the end of my finger flat on the sensor, which is a bit awkward. Instead, holding the phone in my Rt hand, use just the tip of my Rt index finger, close to the nail, and just tap the center of the sensor. It works well 95 percent of the time. To increase the odds of that finger tip working, I registered the same finger four times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs