Going back to Droid

PostmanRP

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
Just ordered a Note 8 with the Best Buy Black Friday deal. I have been using iPhones for a while now. I am definitely going to miss iMessages but am excited to see what all this phone has to offer. What google apps can I use to make swapping or syncing things as painless as possible? Also is there an app that can act anything at all like iMessage? To able to send videos and stuff?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I use what's app to chat the most people on either iPhone or android. in fact I know a number of iPhone users that use it to chat to other iPhone users rather than iMessage

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have Google photos get that on your iPhone yesterday. That's a must have.

Also you might want to stop calling it 'Droid,' those were Verizon branded phones that are long dead 👍

PostmanRP

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
I liked 3 phones. The Note, Pixel 2xl, and LG V30. Ultimately decided on the Note. Saw someone say in comments if you prefer the Pixel camera software just get the APK. How does one go about doing such a thing?

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Just ordered a Note 8 with the Best Buy Black Friday deal. I have been using iPhones for a while now. I am definitely going to miss iMessages but am excited to see what all this phone has to offer. What google apps can I use to make swapping or syncing things as painless as possible? Also is there an app that can act anything at all like iMessage? To able to send videos and stuff?

Tango

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I liked 3 phones. The Note, Pixel 2xl, and LG V30. Ultimately decided on the Note. Saw someone say in comments if you prefer the Pixel camera software just get the APK. How does one go about doing such a thing?

I'm a limp in right here.
My son has the V30+ I hate LG, but that V30+ was definitely an eye turner for me. My son did some comparisons, and of course the Note 8 just performed better. In another life on a planet without Samsung that V30 plus, would have been my daily driver. But back to reality. I'm a keep my eyes out for the LG V series. I may down the line pick up an unlocked version.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If I wasn't a Note addict the LG V30 would be my choice.
There's a really cool video on YouTube where to guys compare it's video capabilities to a 50 grand pro camera and what they made with the V30 is just stunning, I'm sure you could do the same with a Note 8

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and to the world of Android!

Yes, iMessage is certainly one of the best messaging platforms out there - I can understand why you'd miss it!

As far as comparable messaging apps, there truly are a bunch of different messaging apps in the Google Play Store that can try to fill that void. WhatsApp was already mentioned; and Google Messenger is also a good alternative. Search through the app store to see if any stick out to you!

One thing I will suggest is to look at the number of downloads for a specific app (messaging app and in general). Generally, if an app has 100,000 or more downloads, you can trust its legitimacy, security, and user choice/satisfaction. Read the reviews and see what others thought.

Have fun with your new phone, and keep us updated! Enjoy your time here!

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you've made a great choice with the Note 8! It's the phone I'd use on my main line if I weren't using an iPhone.

Regarding messaging apps, I'd like to add another vote for WhatsApp. It isn't particularly well-known in the US, so you may have to convince some friends to use it, but it's secure (encrypted), reliable and very similar in function to iMessage.

Welcome to the AC forums!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yea misleading title. I thought this was going to be about leaving Samsung Note8 and going back to a Motorola Droid phone.

"He-ll-O M-O-t-O!" Stupid commercials... I watch them trying to talk me into buying this phone because it's got so many attachments (granted, they all work incredibly well), I'd need a flippin' backpack to carry them all around. Yeah, just what I'm looking for in 2017!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Yea misleading title. I thought this was going to be about leaving Samsung Note8 and going back to a Motorola Droid phone.

Remember that some people who only use iPhones and stay in the world of iOS might think that every Android phone is a Droid. Blame Motorola and Verizon for this. I have heard some people say that term today.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've never used iMessage but I'd imagine any other proprietary non SMS app that requires the other person to have the same app. Hangouts? Allo? BBM? to name a few.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2