Concern about storage space

gmagnes

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from an IPhone 6+ with 128 GB of memory that was close to filled up. I assumed that with the 64GB of built in memory and a large SD card, I'd have no problem with space. However, after only a few days of ownership, I've just installed my SD card and discovered that almost all of the apps that I've installed seem to require storage on the phone's built in memory. I'm concerned that I'll be squeezed for memory space right from the start and will need to give up on this phone, which I otherwise really like.

I'm especially concerned with the Podcast app. I'Ve checked out several, and they all seem to require the app and data to be stored on the phone's internal memory. On my iphone, I listen to many podcasts and had taken up roughly half of my phone's storage with downloaded podcasts. Anyone have any suggestions for a full featured podcast app that allows storage on the SD card? Also any suggestions for getting more apps and data onto the SD card?
Concerned Note8 Owner (Gerry)

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
You can install a 256 gig card in your note 8. I suggest you either use a Samsung or a SanDisk.
I also carry a 64 gig otg storage on my key chain.
You can always buy a 3t passport just to off load some stuff if needed. I have a drone so I keep my 3t passport in my little gym bag. You'll be surprised how fast it builds up.
But it's extremely useful.
Now who wants to lug around a Passport external storage drive. People that wanna save just about every thing, and trust me, it isn't that bad.
Good question,. People have other ideas,. Keep checking back here.
Enjoy

Last edited:

gmagnes

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but I've installed a large (200GB) SD card. The problem is that most apps and data can only be stored on the device's internal (64GB) memory as far as I could tell.
Gerry

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but I've installed a large (200GB) SD card. The problem is that most apps and data can only be stored on the device's internal (64GB) memory as far as I could tell.
Gerry

You clicked on Apps storage and it should of given you the option to (change) then you can move to card.
You've probably done this right? You literally have to check each app this way.
Disregard if you have.
Good luck Gerry, someone will come along with better information, sorry I couldn't help.
Enjoy your phone

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
After downloading the podcasts, have you tried moving the content to the sdcard? From there you should be able to use a file explorer to open the podcasts, then choose an app to play it.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Gerry
did you turn of developer mode and set it to allow movement of apps, etc. to SD?

gmagnes

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's exactly what I've done, but as I noted, the podcast apps and most other apps require storage in the phone's onboard memory. Folks, please let me know if I'm missing something here, or if you've got another suggestion or perhaps a good podcast app that allows storage on the SD card. Thanks
Gerry

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from an IPhone 6+ with 128 GB of memory that was close to filled up. I assumed that with the 64GB of built in memory and a large SD card, I'd have no problem with space. However, after only a few days of ownership, I've just installed my SD card and discovered that almost all of the apps that I've installed seem to require storage on the phone's built in memory. I'm concerned that I'll be squeezed for memory space right from the start and will need to give up on this phone, which I otherwise really like.

I'm especially concerned with the Podcast app. I'Ve checked out several, and they all seem to require the app and data to be stored on the phone's internal memory. On my iphone, I listen to many podcasts and had taken up roughly half of my phone's storage with downloaded podcasts. Anyone have any suggestions for a full featured podcast app that allows storage on the SD card? Also any suggestions for getting more apps and data onto the SD card?
I have a 256GB card and store all my music and photos there. Phone acts like they are on internal memory, and I have something like 40GB free on the internal memory even though I have 350+ apps on the phone. You'll be fine!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I was replying to the previous poster, not toenail_ flicker. Where do I turn off developer mode? Not aware of that.

"turn on", my fault. to turn on developer mode you go to Settings>About Phone>Build number

tap Build number several times until you see a message that says "Developer mode has been enabled"

once you do that turn on dev mode and look for "Force allow apps on external". turn it on and you should be golden. some apps will be fiddly about it and you must give permissions, etc., but it works great for me.

gmagnes

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, turned on developer mode and went to storage and the podcast app, but options for storage haven't changed. Is there something else I should to enable the SD storage option?

metstang

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
For podcasts at least, I use Pocketcasts. it allows you to download and save podcasts to the SD card. You just have to go to settings in the app and change the download location from internal to external SD card.

gmagnes

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
EUREKA!! It worked. Another question-- is it safe to keep the developer option enabled all of the time or should I go back and close it, now that I've made the change that I wanted. Am I at risk of screwing something else up inadvertently?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, turned on developer mode and went to storage and the podcast app, but options for storage haven't changed. Is there something else I should to enable the SD storage option?

you need to make sure app permissions are set appropriately. if it doesn't offer sd storage you can't change that, but if you move the app to storage it might take the podcasts with it.

Settings>Apps>Storage (for the app in question) and try to click on "Change". if it lets you move it great. if not, poke around while there for permissions for the app and try to set them to allow it.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
EUREKA!! It worked. Another question-- is it safe to keep the developer option enabled all of the time or should I go back and close it, now that I've made the change that I wanted. Am I at risk of screwing something else up inadvertently?

if you turn it off you lose the SD capability. just don't ever go there. :D

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

I use BeyondPod for podcasts. It allows podcast files to be stored on your SD card.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Honestly if you used that much on your iPhone you should've found a phone with 128gb like a pixel or essential phone. Moving stuff to SD card is a pain.