How to disable Bixby button completely without signing up for Samsun services?

Digihorizons

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know how to disable the Bixby button and Bixby completely without signing up for Samsung Services? I'm searching google and the forums and haven't found anything yet.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to disable the Bixby button and Bixby completely without signing up for Samsung Services? I'm searching google and the forums and haven't found anything yet.
I'm using an app called bxActions to remap the Bixby button to launch the camera which works on any screen or even when phone is locked, it's great!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As an owner with too much time spent on this stuff, the OP might be talking about how to disable without "signing-up" for the Bixby services you need to set-up/go through in order to get to the Disable Bixby slider that Samsung now provides. The answer is, without an app like BK Packager Disabler, you can't just turn off Bixby. You need to go through that initial Bixby setup just to see the Disable slider, and to then disable it.

Also, remapping the Bixby button is a related, but different topic. BxActions, Bixby Remapper, and the remapping function in BK Package Disabler all require that the Bixby function is "setup" and enabled. The reason for this is that all of these apps used the same kludgy approach of waiting to respond to a Bixby open event when you push the button - then these apps rush to display an app/function that you choose, after flashing some/all of the initial Bixby screen. Without that initial Bixby open event happening (it only happens if Bixby is enabled) these apps don't work.

In BK Disabler, if you disable all the Bixby apps, there will be no Bixby open event, and therefore BK's own remapping function won't work. Neither will the others.

All of this has been my experience on my N8. I don't pretend to be the last word or an expert and YMMV. I am just someone who spent too much time turning off Bixby and trying to remap that button without the flash I mentioned above.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
In BK Disabler, if you disable all the Bixby apps, there will be no Bixby open event, and therefore BK's own remapping function won't work. Neither will the others.

very true, but if not interested in Bixby or the the button it becomes unimportant. and you don't have to sign up for Bixby. I declined it just like Google's version.

Digihorizons

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
As an owner with too much time spent on this stuff, the OP might be talking about how to disable without "signing-up" for the Bixby services you need to set-up/go through in order to get to the Disable Bixby slider that Samsung now provides. The answer is, without an app like BK Packager Disabler, you can't just turn off Bixby. You need to go through that initial Bixby setup just to see the Disable slider, and to then disable it.
Yes, I want to just disable the Bixby button without signing in or up for any samsung services, but it seems that's impossible without 3rd party apps, thanks for the info. I'll probably have use for some samsung services so I guess I'll go ahead and sign up?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I want to just disable the Bixby button without signing in or up for any samsung services, but it seems that's impossible without 3rd party apps, thanks for the info. I'll probably have use for some samsung services so I guess I'll go ahead and sign up?

Samsung itself, yes, you need it for their apps, etc., but you don't have to agree to use Bixby. it will be there until you disable it with an app.

Shaquella

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Related topic: I despise that mistakenly swiping left too many times on my home page will launch Bixby (or Bixby setup, since I intentionally haven't set it up), and she starts talking loudly and sometimes I'm in a quiet bedroom or meeting and I basically want to spear her with a hockey stick....

SO. I finally accidentally found out how to disable that! Press and Hold any blank space on your home screens so that your see the options to as dd widgets, etc. Swipe left to the Bixby window and toggle the upper-right switch to off. Presto! Noisy brat is gone. 🤗

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180224-130157.jpg
    Screenshot_20180224-130157.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 93

wyattbiker

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Related topic: I despise that mistakenly swiping left too many times on my home page will launch Bixby (or Bixby setup, since I intentionally haven't set it up), and she starts talking loudly and sometimes I'm in a quiet bedroom or meeting and I basically want to spear her with a hockey stick....

SO. I finally accidentally found out how to disable that! Press and Hold any blank space on your home screens so that your see the options to as dd widgets, etc. Swipe left to the Bixby window and toggle the upper-right switch to off. Presto! Noisy brat is gone. 🤗

GENIUS. Take that Samsung. I hate SAMSUNG apps. Why they force me to accept them and make difficult to disable. They suck.

Neals

Oct 6, 2018
Visit site
Here is how to disable the Bixby button without accepting the Bixby service conditions:

1) Go to the apps list by opening the settings app and press "Apps".
2) Scroll down to the Bixby apps.
3) Disable apps "Bixby Global Action" and "Bixby Service" by selecting them one by one and pressing the "Disable" button on the "App Info" screen.
4) Select the "Bixby Home" app from the apps list and press the cogwheel on the "App Info" screen to call up the "Bixby Settings" screen.
5) Scroll down to the "Bixby key" setting and select "Don't open anything".

Step 3 is probably not necessary if you only want to disable the Bixby button. But I say dump the chick and move on.

Edit: Seems this Bixby chick is a real stalker. If you long press the Bixby button you'll notice she is still around. Anyway with the short press disabled you won't see her that much anymore.

Last edited:

Jdunnesmith

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
FINALLY, she is gone!! Can"t thank you enough for sharing!! The "welcome to bixby" voice has haunted me for months; tried all the Samsung ways to remove/disable with no luck
Your suggestion worked!!!!
Thank you!!!!

Antispam Man

Dec 7, 2018
Visit site
GENIUS. Take that Samsung. I hate SAMSUNG apps. Why they force me to accept them and make difficult to disable. They suck.

There is a very simple reason why Samsung forces their ridiculous apps on us. Korea as you noticed from the dictor to the north is extremely Paternistic the south is also this way as they used to be one nation of course. If you go in a Korean church in the USA, you don't even have to know 1 word of Korean, everyone sits in absolute silence while the pastor yells at everyone. The atmosphere is utterly scary.

The products reflect this paternalistic attitude. Take what we give you, you don't matter, we control everything and shut up or we'll take it away from you.

It used to be the same in the USA until about the 1970's. The old farts died off and the hippies took over in rebellion.

Last edited:

fredd17

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the bixby remapper app of the play store and set the button to the Google assistant. not sure if this has been posted.