Is it worth changing from, Google pay to Samsung pay ?

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I used Samsung pay until I moved to the Pixel 2 XL.
I miss it, and my bank, Suntrust is still not on Android Pay, BUT, Master Card MasterPass works.

That's annoying. I'm surprised they were on Samsung Pay but not Android Pay.

Interestingly, when I went to install Samsung Pay, I couldn't get it - I think my bank (Chase) wasn't on it.

Mohamed Ihab Talaat

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I use Android Pay

Why another Vendor Lock?? Samsung Pay Doesn't work on my older Pixel, or LG V30, tried the MST a few times on my wife's S8 with no luck. Getting paid back using my rewards cards as usual, no need to use a Samsung Card to earn rewards!

So far happy with Android Pay and works really nice through my Huawei Watch 2 as well.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That's annoying. I'm surprised they were on Samsung Pay but not Android Pay.

Interestingly, when I went to install Samsung Pay, I couldn't get it - I think my bank (Chase) wasn't on it.
Chase bank is definitely on Samsung Pay. I use them woth it all the time before I went back to Huntington bank

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
A fun thing the other day after work:

Went to a Honey Baked Ham store. I didn't see any Android Pay notices here (and didn't care-dont need that notice for Samsung Pay to work). Anyway they had a typical table top style card slider terminal so I k we it'd worm. I told her I was paying with my phone. She said people have tried and it hasn't worked yet. I tried:first time it didn't complete, so I took off the case and retried: success. The look on her face was entertaining.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Been using Android pay for a while now, click and pay. Works in most locations I use, not all but, a lot of them.

Samsung pay seems to support more hardware devices...

For people who use Samsung pay, is it worth it ?

I hate having a credit card in 40 places and it seems like that...

Samsung pay is tops. Apple Pay and Android Pay are great for what they are but Samsung pay is much more reliable and useful.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
To bad Google did not have the foresight to buy LoopPay before Samsung did. I have heard rumors that Samsung may licence out the technology so a future non-samsung phone might work with it.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Pay works fine on my Pixel 2XL - no problems.

Samsung Pay would work with terminals with NFC that take Apple/Android pay. However, not possible to work on standard terminals using only MST, non-samsung phones don't have the technology.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
But it's still way more steps to pay than Android Pay

Fewer steps does no one any good if it only works at maybe 30% of terminals in the wild. I have not noticed an extra steps but an extra swipe would be worth it to have a smart phone pay service that works everywhere.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Samsung pay for quite some time and in my opinion it's definitely the best route to go what I love about it is I can literally use it anywhere I see a card that can be slid and a card that can be inserted. Mine works at the pump without a problem as long as I use a secondary card non-credit type to activate the sensor in the insert. I make 20 to $40 a month in Samsung pay Visa Rewards just by using it along with the Worry less feeling of being able to go into anywhere and use it I don't have to look for Android pay Apple pay or any of that stuff.

Swipe up on the home screen and pick the card and go

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Fewer steps does no one any good if it only works at maybe 30% of terminals in the wild. I have not noticed an extra steps but an extra swipe would be worth it to have a smart phone pay service that works everywhere.

Maybe in the US but here in the UK Android Pay works pretty much anywhere and everywhere. If you can use a debit or credit card then you can use Android Pay (or Samsung and Apple Pay for that matter). NFC is literally everywhere and MST was phased out about 10 years ago.
I've tried to give Samsung another go a few times but Android Pay is soooooo much better. Hit the power button once and tap the terminal. That's impossible to do on Samsung Pay

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe in the US but here in the UK Android Pay works pretty much anywhere and everywhere. If you can use a debit or credit card then you can use Android Pay (or Samsung and Apple Pay for that matter). NFC is literally everywhere and MST was phased out about 10 years ago.
I've tried to give Samsung another go a few times but Android Pay is soooooo much better. Hit the power button once and tap the terminal. That's impossible to do on Samsung Pay
Yeah agree Android pay is much more easier to use for paying. In US also nowadays NFC terminals are in most places. For now I'm still sticking with Samsung pay because it works everywhere and additionally Samsung rewards.