Is it worth changing from, Google pay to Samsung pay ?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
In Canada I wish there was a way to turn off MST on SP. It confuses our tap readers and then forces us to insert our chip. This happens on terminals with integrated tap and swipe in close proximity on the hand unit.

I believe Samsung has no interest in supporting SP up here given these limitations and the lack of promos you guys all get and also by the fact that my Gear S3 doesn't support SP at all.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I have have found it works more often than not. I've used it at many CVS stores, Walmart, Panda Express, all manner of restaurants and convenient stores..even 7-11.. so not being rude but your probably doing it wrong for all of us having no issues
70% is considerably "more often than not", so we agree on that much.
Not sure how I could be "doing it wrong" If it works at 70% of the merchants I try and fails consistently at the others.

Have not tried doing it as a debit card (because debt card transactions incur fees from the bank). Have not tried sliding a drivers licence thru the slot to activate a mechanical switch while tapping with the phone at the same time (analagous to what posters above are doing at gas pumps).

I assume that to do the "drivers license trick" I would need to insert my license upside-down to avoid reading the mag stripe on the drivers license.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
70% is considerably "more often than not", so we agree on that much.
Not sure how I could be "doing it wrong"

The MST tech does require a bit of meddling with how you hold the phone next to the magnetic strip reader. Samsung actually posted videos of it because of that. I'm not challenging your assertion here that it only worked 70% of the time for you. But it's possible that you didn't hold the phone at an angle to the strip if the strip is angled, etc. I had a lot more luck after trying to hold it a bit differently in different scenarios. I ended up having it work almost everywhere. I don't really know of any shop I tried it at where it didn't work. Gas stations personally I think is not a good idea and I would not try the driver's license trick. There's a reason why you're not supposed to use your cell phones right next to a gas pump...

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
The MST tech does require a bit of meddling with how you hold the phone next to the magnetic strip reader....But it's possible that you didn't hold the phone at an angle to the strip if the strip is angled, etc. I had a lot more luck after trying to hold it a bit differently in different scenarios.

I tried as many angles as I could before the cashier and the folks behind me in line started to look annoyed.

Does it work In Europe? MST has been phased out there.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Finally, Barclay's Uber Visa credit card added successfully today (in US).
I have a Barclay visa I was able to add a couple weeks ago. It's different than Uber. Glad they're on there and REALLY glad PayPal is on there since my PayPal visa debit earns cashback.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I keep all my credit cards, rewards cards, and gift cards on Samsung Pay and it has always worked for me. I like earning rewards for using it. I have already earned enough points to get a free Gear VR and gift cards.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay

I use it no problem at:Starbucks, Walmart, Sams Club, Home Depot, Lowes, Sheetz, Country Fair, Pilot, Get go, various vending machines, Applebees, Paninis, Ruby Tuesdays, Dollar General, various mall stores including ones with old keyboard and monitor mount card readers, McDonald's, Giant Eagle And Heinens (grocers), Ham N More, and probably a lot more. Those are what I could think of for now.

I earn $20 a month in Samsung reward visa gift card points along with $20 to $30 a month when I often use my PayPal visa debit in Samsung Pay, and I also earn cash back on my Capital One when I use it in Samsung Pay.

Flinthills

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I use Samsung Pay at Paneras to buy coffee. With tax it was $2.06 and I got tired of getting $.94 change everyday.

But I tried it at a vending machine yesterday with interesting results. I was charged $1.50 for an item that was labeled for $2.50.

Madam ImAdam

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Samsung Pay

I use it no problem at:Starbucks, Walmart, Sams Club, Home Depot, Lowes, Sheetz, Country Fair, Pilot, Get go, various vending machines, Applebees, Paninis, Ruby Tuesdays, Dollar General, various mall stores including ones with old keyboard and monitor mount card readers, McDonald's, Giant Eagle And Heinens (grocers), Ham N More, and probably a lot more. Those are what I could think of for now.

I earn $20 a month in Samsung reward visa gift card points along with $20 to $30 a month when I often use my PayPal visa debit in Samsung Pay, and I also earn cash back on my Capital One when I use it in Samsung Pay.

How much do you spend to get $20 per month? I thought there is a 2000 point max each month.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
How much do you spend to get $20 per month? I thought there is a 2000 point max each month.
There is a 50 or 55 transaction mac per month where you don't earn points past that until the next month.

In past it's been 5000 pts for $20 visa rewards gift card. Now it's 6000 pts but still that's good.

Plus for me, even when the transaction count maxes out, I can still use my PayPal card or my Capital One card on Samsung and continue to earn those cash back points tied to those cards. PayPal alone is 20 to 25/mo

Madam ImAdam

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
per month there is a 50 transaction limit for rating Samsung rewards points - at 4 points per transaction, that is 2000 points per month.

how do you get 5000 points per month?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
it may be 5 weels, not sure. I can usually cash in on the $20 just about every 4 to 5 weeks. now with the higher min for it it'll probaby be more like 6 weeks.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Used Samsung Pay for the first time today at Pet Smart. Went very smoothly.

You'll grow to love it. I don't bother bringing cards with me depending on where I'm going. Unless I want a fast drive thru-those I don't even try because those people...Well it's not worth the trouble lol

songbae

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
it may be 5 weels, not sure. I can usually cash in on the $20 just about every 4 to 5 weeks. now with the higher min for it it'll probaby be more like 6 weeks.

$20 Samsung Rewards card redemption in 1 month, without any promotional points, was never possible. And certainly even more impossible now that Samsung's changed the entire earning structure coupled with the jacked up points required for redemption.

At all levels, including at the Platinum level, points earned per transaction has been halved (for Platinum, 20 vs 40 points earned per transaction in the recent past). In order to redeem a $20 Samsung Rewards card, you have to cash in 6000 points.

The maximum number of points eligible transactions per month tops out at 50. So, you can earn a max of 1000 points per month.

Do the math - it'll take 6 months to earn $20. I used to be a big fan of Samsung Pay because of the payouts. But since they've tinkered with both redemption thresholds and earnings per transaction, I don't find it compelling to use SP that much anymore.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
$20 Samsung Rewards card redemption in 1 month, without any promotional points, was never possible. And certainly even more impossible now that Samsung's changed the entire earning structure coupled with the jacked up points required for redemption.

At all levels, including at the Platinum level, points earned per transaction has been halved (for Platinum, 20 vs 40 points earned per transaction in the recent past). In order to redeem a $20 Samsung Rewards card, you have to cash in 6000 points.

The maximum number of points eligible transactions per month tops out at 50. So, you can earn a max of 1000 points per month.

Do the math - it'll take 6 months to earn $20. I used to be a big fan of Samsung Pay because of the payouts. But since they've tinkered with both redemption thresholds and earnings per transaction, I don't find it compelling to use SP that much anymore.
There are still pluses with it. If you have cash back earning cards you use with it. My PayPal visa debit and my Capital One but earn cash back. I can earn cash back on them through Samsung Pay no matter how many transactions in the month. Once the Samsung points stop earning when I hit that 50 mark, the cash back still earns pn those 2 cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis