Update Killed My Signal - Sprint

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
my N8 had a fantastic signal. just took the update and went from always having 2-3, sometimes 4, bars in the boonies to only one now. so disappointed. thanks, Sprint. it's barely managing 2.

eta - thankfully, clearing the cache from recovery seems to have lifted it! Happy Thanksgiving! :p

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
my N8 had a fantastic signal. just took the update and went from always having 2-3, sometimes 4, bars in the boonies to only one now. so disappointed. thanks, Sprint. it's barely managing 2.

eta - thankfully, clearing the cache from recovery seems to have lifted it! Happy Thanksgiving! :p

That is strange. With the update my signal strength from Sprint has gotten so much better. I'm also in the boonies hovering from
1 to 2 bars of LTE without WiFi. Since the update I'm at 4 bars. I never had 4 bars where I live. WiFi has been the lifesaver. I'm still old school with the house phone still because of where I live. If it continues this way, goodbye house phone.
That's what I think the update did. Make some areas better and somehow others areas suffer. Had something to do with the bands. You try an update your profile?
Happy Thanksgiving
Back at ya

Last edited:

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
all I can do is sit and stare at where my bars used to be. unbelievable. has gone from a wonderful device to average in one update. this is why I always root and never take updates. Sprint kills whatever they touch. something always gets messed up, and this isn't the first time one of their updates killed the signal on my notes. I feel certain that if I'd had the N7 long enough to update it they would have killed the signal in that one too. too late to root and fix it too. :'(

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad you shared this info! The lower priced plans at Sprint were tempting since Note 8 got calling plus. I pay a fortune a VZW and still less than most VZW users. Don't want to put up with a lousy signal.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
That is strange. With the update my signal strength from Sprint has gotten so much better. I'm also in the boonies hovering from
1 to 2 bars of LTE without WiFi. Since the update I'm at 4 bars. I never had 4 bars where I live. WiFi has been the lifesaver. I'm still old school with the house phone still because of where I live. If it continues this way, goodbye house phone.
That's what I think the update did. Make some areas better and somehow others areas suffer. Had something to do with the bands. You try an update your profile?
Happy Thanksgiving
Back at ya

Happy Thanksgiving.

yeah. I did all that twice plus six total cache partition clears because I'm so shocked. it got worse and has stayed there. very dismaying. I stay on wifi predominantly, but yikes even for LTE it dropped. everything else in my place is fine with the wifi. and I have never had 4 bars anywhere I lived. that's what was so amazing about this phone and the N7. now they killed that. I am at 1 bar all around.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Glad you shared this info! The lower priced plans at Sprint were tempting since Note 8 got calling plus. I pay a fortune a VZW and still less than most VZW users. Don't want to put up with a lousy signal.

I was hopeful with the merger coming that we would get better signal strength. that's off now so back to no signal for me.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Happy Thanksgiving.

yeah. I did all that twice plus six total cache partition clears because I'm so shocked. it got worse and has stayed there. very dismaying. I stay on wifi predominantly, but yikes even for LTE it dropped. everything else in my place is fine with the wifi. and I have never had 4 bars anywhere I lived. that's what was so amazing about this phone and the N7. now they killed that. I am at 1 bar all around.
Phone atill under warranty so you could get a replacement.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you root it?

not anymore. taking the update did away with that, I feel sure. I was ready to use the device as it was and could live without root. took the update because everyone said their signal improved and the calling plus thing, plus the security updates.

my mistake. broke my cardinal rule of no updates. hadn't taken any since my first HTC and always rooted gah!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well next update could fix it but I'd return it. Maybe you'll get a pre-update refurb you can root or refuse update on!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
with anything else I would return it in an instant, but I just don't want to mess with it on this. never know what I might get. granted, this has been an odd little device at times... if I were to do anything right now it would be a FR and with my busy season coming that is not a good idea. so I wait and hope... I will verify whether I can still root or not. seems if I'm the only one with signal issues. also will check out apps that may help.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
with anything else I would return it in an instant, but I just don't want to mess with it on this. never know what I might get. granted, this has been an odd little device at times... if I were to do anything right now it would be a FR and with my busy season coming that is not a good idea. so I wait and hope... I will verify whether I can still root or not. seems if I'm the only one with signal issues. also will check out apps that may help.

You have a trap phone in as a backup?
I have an unlocked moto G5 plus when I travel. Do you have a phone to compare it with?
Maybe have Sprint switch out the sim, of have them do a reset on they're end.
Trust me bro, you can get credits. Until it's rectified, let them know when it started, and until it's fixed I want my account credited for the problems I'm having.
Call this number
Sprint Accounts
1 844 382 3317
I know you just want your phone to work, and its clearly unacceptable service.
I went through something like this a couple of months ago and at least they took a substantial amount off my bill until rectified.
Let's say, I was very happy, if not I was going back to Att.
Good Luck and
God bless.
It's a damn shame when something they do is suppose to make things better, in all actuality, makes things worse.
I feel your pain.
Start with that number, I hope it helps.
That update made my service 2 times better. This is so freaking strange.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
That update made my service 2 times better. This is so freaking strange.

thanks. I bought from Best Buy. doubt Sprint will talk to me which leaves paying a deductible and getting a refurb from Assurion. no way. I will do further testing next week while I'm out of the boonies and we'll see what happens then.