11-26-2017 12:28 PM
33 12
tools
    my N8 had a fantastic signal. just took the update and went from always having 2-3, sometimes 4, bars in the boonies to only one now. so disappointed. thanks, Sprint. it's barely managing 2.

eta - thankfully, clearing the cache from recovery seems to have lifted it! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jewels81 and DARK Vader777 like this.
    11-23-2017 12:25 PM
    spoke too soon. back to one bar. this is not cool
    Jewels81 likes this.
    11-23-2017 12:43 PM
    spoke too soon. back to one bar. this is not cool
    Damn. Sorry that happened. I have great signal and whenever Verizon sends update my signal better not go like yours lol.
    recDNA and jimd1050 like this.
    11-23-2017 08:41 PM
    And happy thanksgiving
    11-23-2017 08:41 PM
    And happy thanksgiving
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

and thanks. it really stinks they did that. it was so much better and nothing I've done fixed it.
    Jewels81 likes this.
    11-23-2017 09:00 PM
    my signal got better after the update. calling plus is cool but talking sometimes people can't hear me
    11-23-2017 09:43 PM
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

and thanks. it really stinks they did that. it was so much better and nothing I've done fixed it.
    Thanks. Damn sorry to hear that. Looks like they need to fix that
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    11-23-2017 11:41 PM
    my N8 had a fantastic signal. just took the update and went from always having 2-3, sometimes 4, bars in the boonies to only one now. so disappointed. thanks, Sprint. it's barely managing 2.

eta - thankfully, clearing the cache from recovery seems to have lifted it! Happy Thanksgiving!
    That is strange. With the update my signal strength from Sprint has gotten so much better. I'm also in the boonies hovering from
    1 to 2 bars of LTE without WiFi. Since the update I'm at 4 bars. I never had 4 bars where I live. WiFi has been the lifesaver. I'm still old school with the house phone still because of where I live. If it continues this way, goodbye house phone.
    That's what I think the update did. Make some areas better and somehow others areas suffer. Had something to do with the bands. You try an update your profile?
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Back at ya
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    11-24-2017 03:58 AM
    all I can do is sit and stare at where my bars used to be. unbelievable. has gone from a wonderful device to average in one update. this is why I always root and never take updates. Sprint kills whatever they touch. something always gets messed up, and this isn't the first time one of their updates killed the signal on my notes. I feel certain that if I'd had the N7 long enough to update it they would have killed the signal in that one too. too late to root and fix it too.
    11-24-2017 10:42 AM
    Glad you shared this info! The lower priced plans at Sprint were tempting since Note 8 got calling plus. I pay a fortune a VZW and still less than most VZW users. Don't want to put up with a lousy signal.
    11-24-2017 12:40 PM
    That is strange. With the update my signal strength from Sprint has gotten so much better. I'm also in the boonies hovering from
    1 to 2 bars of LTE without WiFi. Since the update I'm at 4 bars. I never had 4 bars where I live. WiFi has been the lifesaver. I'm still old school with the house phone still because of where I live. If it continues this way, goodbye house phone.
    That's what I think the update did. Make some areas better and somehow others areas suffer. Had something to do with the bands. You try an update your profile?
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Back at ya
    Happy Thanksgiving.

yeah. I did all that twice plus six total cache partition clears because I'm so shocked. it got worse and has stayed there. very dismaying. I stay on wifi predominantly, but yikes even for LTE it dropped. everything else in my place is fine with the wifi. and I have never had 4 bars anywhere I lived. that's what was so amazing about this phone and the N7. now they killed that. I am at 1 bar all around.
    11-24-2017 12:51 PM
    Glad you shared this info! The lower priced plans at Sprint were tempting since Note 8 got calling plus. I pay a fortune a VZW and still less than most VZW users. Don't want to put up with a lousy signal.
    I was hopeful with the merger coming that we would get better signal strength. that's off now so back to no signal for me.
    recDNA likes this.
    11-24-2017 12:53 PM
    Happy Thanksgiving.

yeah. I did all that twice plus six total cache partition clears because I'm so shocked. it got worse and has stayed there. very dismaying. I stay on wifi predominantly, but yikes even for LTE it dropped. everything else in my place is fine with the wifi. and I have never had 4 bars anywhere I lived. that's what was so amazing about this phone and the N7. now they killed that. I am at 1 bar all around.
    Phone atill under warranty so you could get a replacement.
    11-24-2017 12:59 PM
    Phone atill under warranty so you could get a replacement.
    then I run the risk of getting something even worse in some other way. it is what it is at this point.
    11-24-2017 01:09 PM
    then I run the risk of getting something even worse in some other way. it is what it is at this point.
    Can you root it?
    11-24-2017 01:10 PM
    Can you root it?
    not anymore. taking the update did away with that, I feel sure. I was ready to use the device as it was and could live without root. took the update because everyone said their signal improved and the calling plus thing, plus the security updates.

my mistake. broke my cardinal rule of no updates. hadn't taken any since my first HTC and always rooted gah!
    11-24-2017 01:15 PM
    Well next update could fix it but I'd return it. Maybe you'll get a pre-update refurb you can root or refuse update on!
    11-24-2017 01:17 PM
    with anything else I would return it in an instant, but I just don't want to mess with it on this. never know what I might get. granted, this has been an odd little device at times... if I were to do anything right now it would be a FR and with my busy season coming that is not a good idea. so I wait and hope... I will verify whether I can still root or not. seems if I'm the only one with signal issues. also will check out apps that may help.
    11-24-2017 01:39 PM
    with anything else I would return it in an instant, but I just don't want to mess with it on this. never know what I might get. granted, this has been an odd little device at times... if I were to do anything right now it would be a FR and with my busy season coming that is not a good idea. so I wait and hope... I will verify whether I can still root or not. seems if I'm the only one with signal issues. also will check out apps that may help.
    You have a trap phone in as a backup?
    I have an unlocked moto G5 plus when I travel. Do you have a phone to compare it with?
    Maybe have Sprint switch out the sim, of have them do a reset on they're end.
    Trust me bro, you can get credits. Until it's rectified, let them know when it started, and until it's fixed I want my account credited for the problems I'm having.
    Call this number
    Sprint Accounts
    1 844 382 3317
    I know you just want your phone to work, and its clearly unacceptable service.
    I went through something like this a couple of months ago and at least they took a substantial amount off my bill until rectified.
    Let's say, I was very happy, if not I was going back to Att.
    Good Luck and
    God bless.
    It's a damn shame when something they do is suppose to make things better, in all actuality, makes things worse.
    I feel your pain.
    Start with that number, I hope it helps.
    That update made my service 2 times better. This is so freaking strange.
    11-24-2017 01:57 PM
    That update made my service 2 times better. This is so freaking strange.
    thanks. I bought from Best Buy. doubt Sprint will talk to me which leaves paying a deductible and getting a refurb from Assurion. no way. I will do further testing next week while I'm out of the boonies and we'll see what happens then.
    11-24-2017 03:10 PM
    No signal issues on mine after update with AT&T... would think that there wouldn't be a lot of differences? Hmmm...
    11-24-2017 03:30 PM
    thanks. I bought from Best Buy. doubt Sprint will talk to me which leaves paying a deductible and getting a refurb from Assurion. no way. I will do further testing next week while I'm out of the boonies and we'll see what happens then.
    Bars mean nothing -- they could have just tweaked how the phone shows the bars. You would have had to know your actual signal (-dBm) before and after the update. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same signal but they just tweaked the "bars" algorithm.

Getting another device won't change this if it was tweaked (which sounds like it was). Are you noticing degraded service? As in do you drop calls or w/e or does it all function the same and just the bars look different?
    11-24-2017 04:12 PM
    Bars mean nothing -- they could have just tweaked how the phone shows the bars. You would have had to know your actual signal (-dBm) before and after the update. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same signal but they just tweaked the "bars" algorithm.

Getting another device won't change this if it was tweaked (which sounds like it was). Are you noticing degraded service? As in do you drop calls or w/e or does it all function the same and just the bars look different?
    down to 3G at times and dog slow at that. and I've always had LTE since I moved here in 2012 and never had such bad speeds.

eta - so why have everyone else's speeds gone up? the bars are reflective.
    11-24-2017 04:29 PM

But that tweak would affect everyone and it would be a discussion I would think.
    11-24-2017 04:29 PM
    down to 3G at times and dog slow at that. and I've always had LTE since I moved here in 2012 and never had such bad speeds.

eta - so why have everyone else's speeds gone up? the bars are reflective.
    I am just saying bars don't always tell the true story. Just like back in the day when AT&T released an update and everyone got "more bars" but their -dBm was the same (a.k.a the signal never changed even though they are showing more bars).

So while yes a software update can mess with signal -- without a doubt -- just saying I normally don't take "bars" as my signal strength. I always check -dBm before and after updates.

From the sound of what you're saying they did tweak the modem some and apparently it is less forgiving such as it is dropping you to 3G quicker versus hanging onto the LTE signal.
    11-24-2017 04:35 PM
33 12