My Note 8 glass on back cracked.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I looked to find a very durable case,went with Pelican Voyager. Phone fell out of handbag when I picked something
up off floor while shopping.
A couple days later, l noticed the diagonal cracks-thought it was on the case. Removed the case to find the "Gorilla Glass" damaged. Anyone else had similar experience??

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Sure, there are tons of reports from people whose phones cracked when dropped despite having a case. And in the other direction, many people have dropped their phones without cases and had no damage. Cases probably make damage less likely, but dropping the phone is still risky.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My buddy had his Note 8 for 2 weeks before he broke the front and back glass. His fault though. These all glass phones are slippery. He didn't have a case, sat down on an open back chair and his phone popped right out of his pocket. Landed on the edge and broke the front and back.

Just dumb luck. There is a store by us that replaces any phone screen for $100 which is better than the insurance price.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mmmmmm, let me see if I understand this. Glass phones (front and back) and the glass sometimes breaks when dropped. Imagine that. How interesting that people get surprised about that. :p

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try an Ottebox Defender case. It's expensive ($45, unless you can find a real one for less - there are ripoffs that aren't as good) but I've had phones in Defender cases dropped and thrown without a problem. Even though there's only a plastic screen shield, If you drop the phone face down, it's still protected by the case itself. (And it's cheaper than one trip to the repair shop.)

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
My buddy had his Note 8 for 2 weeks before he broke the front and back glass. His fault though. These all glass phones are slippery. He didn't have a case, sat down on an open back chair and his phone popped right out of his pocket. Landed on the edge and broke the front and back.

Just dumb luck. There is a store by us that replaces any phone screen for $100 which is better than the insurance price.

Nice to know. You have a link to their website?
I'm sure this could save everyone a few bucks.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice to know. You have a link to their website?
I'm sure this could save everyone a few bucks.

It's a small "fix it" store about 30min from me. My brothers kids are trying to keep the store in business singlehandedly lol. I'll find out is they have a mail in service as well.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Try an Ottebox Defender case. It's expensive ($45, unless you can find a real one for less - there are ripoffs that aren't as good) but I've had phones in Defender cases dropped and thrown without a problem. Even though there's only a plastic screen shield, If you drop the phone face down, it's still protected by the case itself. (And it's cheaper than one trip to the repair shop.)
The Defender is the most protective case available, the Note 8 version does not have the included screen protector which is a very good thing in my opinion

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

You obviously haven't owned one for a note 8 or s8 for that matter. The scurved screen phones do not get the plastic protector up front.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The Defender is the most protective case available, the Note 8 version does not have the included screen protector which is a very good thing in my opinion

There are a lot of imitation Defenders that look nearly identical and much cheaper on Amazon or Ebay. Heck you can buy a few different colors and still save money. I would have bought one but they were not out before the phone was out and I wanted cases before pre orders shipped so I splurged and paid $60 at Verizon for the Otterbox.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Great case if you like to carry something inside of a suitcase it's a big phone already

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, you'd hope it could survive a fall at chair height... we must be talking talking about 18" max off the ground :eek: ... Corning does advertise a video dropping their glassed phones at 5 feet. :confused:

But it's true because of these curved edged screens and backs practically making it impossible for the frame to take the brunt of the hit any advantage of GG5 is out the window... might as well be candy glass. If you're one to drop your phone now and then... IMO this phone is not for you.

Pick the best case that suits you and hope it offers enough protection.

Attachments

• A64EAC3D-39F9-41E9-8D85-99D9AA1A6141.jpg
    A64EAC3D-39F9-41E9-8D85-99D9AA1A6141.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 66

Pontiac1979

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Does otterbox pay you to market the defender to us? Every comment you've made in any of the note 8 forums has only been about the defender and how it's the best out there.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, you'd hope it could survive a fall at chair height[.] we must be talking talking about 18" max off the ground[.]
Easily 24": 20" for the chair, plus 4" for the pocket.

Corning does advertise a video dropping their glassed phones at 5 feet.
Corning advertises that GG5 survives 80% of drops from that height onto a flat surface. So that leaves one out of five drops that it doesn't survive. Plus if it falls onto a sharp edge or point (such as a horizontal leg on a swivel-chair base) instead of the advertised flat surface, the impact is greatly concentrated.

Even with a case, these phones should not be dropped.

ocramida

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Just checked mine. Have the Tudia case and after reading through this threaad got paranoid. Have dropped a few times already. Thankfully no issues.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just checked mine. Have the Tudia case and after reading through this threaad got paranoid. Have dropped a few times already. Thankfully no issues.

watched mine fall from desk height the other day and panicked as it was going down. managed to mitigate the fall somewhat with my shoe so that it was a soft drop and then a drop to carpet. there was still the "thunk" when it hit, but took my case off and no worries.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought this phone knowing it was glass, I knew I would have to be careful with it. If your prone to dropping phones this probably isn't the phone for you. The phone should or shouldn't be made out of glass is not the issue, it's what you need to buy that meets your needs, if you need a strong drop resistant phone, the note 8 isn't for you.

Samsung can't win, people complained about the cheap plastic backs, the cheap fake leather look, and now the glass phones. If they went aluminum, then people would complain wireless charging don't work, it scratches easy, it dents if dropped.

Dropping electronics is never a good thing to do, they might break. If you want to take your chances with the note 8, buy a good case and don't drop it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary