06-15-2018 10:13 AM
60 123
tools
    You'll get used to it. It's more of a style thing but I absolutely love it! Sets the phone apart from others and is gorgeous to look at. I use the s pen regularly and I don't even notice the curves anymore when writing. Personally I would never go back to a flat phone.
    06-10-2018 12:32 AM
    Yes, definitely worth the added functionality for me - 2 examples off the top of my head - 1. I'm on a call, s pen out to write a note on screen or in notes, scroll from edge to bring up calendar to check dates. 2. I'm buying online, price is in different currency, scroll edge to bring up unit converter to check price.
    06-10-2018 05:49 PM
    I'd really laugh a lot when the time comes that everybody else will be using edged screens then suddenly Samsung would switch back to flat.
    Then they'll most likely lose this customer......I'll go back to HTC!
    06-10-2018 05:52 PM
    I would love for the Note to go back to a flat screen. The curved edge makes it difficult many times when using the pen especially when capturing an image or something to send to someone or make something out of. There are times I will get out my Note 4 just to be able to do something that involves the pen because there is no curved edge.
    06-10-2018 06:57 PM
    The swipe from edge menu existed on Samsung long before they did curved edges. My flat Tab 4 has a swipe from side menu.
    srvctec likes this.
    06-10-2018 09:50 PM
    The swipe from edge menu existed on Samsung long before they did curved edges. My flat Tab 4 has a swipe from side menu.
    Swipe from edge feature doesn't have to be synonymous with curved edge. This is about curved edges. I like curved edges & edge swipe. I also like the Porsche 911 turbo S.....
    06-12-2018 08:26 PM
    Swipe from edge feature doesn't have to be synonymous with curved edge. This is about curved edges. I like curved edges & edge swipe. I also like the Porsche 911 turbo S.....
    I was basing my answer on your previous post on supposed "added functionality". All those features were available on Samsung before the Edge screens. Personally I don't care either way if it has an Edge or not. The Edge has no added functionality, and is a purely cosmetic choice.

Whether you like it or not is simple preference.
    06-12-2018 08:36 PM
    I was basing my answer on your previous post on supposed "added functionality". All those features were available on Samsung before the Edge screens. Personally I don't care either way if it has an Edge or not. The Edge has no added functionality, and is a purely cosmetic choice.

Whether you like it or not is simple preference.
    Yes agreed - that's like saying the dock gives no added functionality.
    And a 30 year old Porsche still got me from A to B in relative quickness
    06-14-2018 08:33 PM
    My only real complain about the Note 8 is the curved edge screen. Trying to use the S Pen for a side to side screen selection is nearly impossible.

It definitely does make the screen pop a little more than a flat screen, no doubt about it - so it would be great for the S series phones - but it really doesn't belong on the Note.

Luckily, it's a relatively minor issue. I can't say it ruins my experience with the phone, but it does annoy me from time to time.
    06-15-2018 09:47 AM
    I also find the curved screen more annoying than functional. It makes the edges of the screen much harder to access with the pen or even my finger with the phone in a case that protrudes far enough forward to provide some face glass protection. I can't even move an icon from one screen to another with my finger because some of the active area is down in a crevice with many cases.

I'd love to have this exact same phone, but without the curved face of the screen.

For me, it's just cosmetic fluff that serves no practical purpose and makes the phone a lot harder to use.

They could address this in firmware by giving us an option to set all of the curved areas to be "off limits" for real screen display, and instead mapping that area for some kind of notifications or the like only. We would lose some screen resolution, but it would make the phone a lot easier to use. I would enable that option if it existed.
    06-15-2018 10:13 AM
60 123