Whats the most RUGGED Case for Samsung galaxy Note8 that will protect the phone all round?

AndroidLoverXO

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Dont mind spending a few hundred bucks, all I need is all round protection from drops. Recently a friend of mine had no screen protection but had OtterBox Defender on, but it had no compromise with a 4 feet face drop on concrete, the phone unfortunately had a significant shattered front.

So How else can I protect my Galaxy Note 8? Im thinking of getting a Whitestone Dome and a Rugged Case? Any suggestions?

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
IMO, the Super Duty of cases (yeah, I'm a Ford guy) Unicorn Beetle Pro - I gently removed their plastic screen protector from the front frame because I already had a Zagg tempered glass screen protector on mine. The front frame still snaps in over the Zagg screen protector into the back half of the case and makes for a super rugged case. The outside has a nice grip surface too so it doesn't slip out of your hand easily! I've only dropped mine twice but never a flat face drop like your friends. The UB Pro has an upper and lower lip on the front that keeps the front glass probably 3mm off the surface you lay it on, so I think that would help on a face drop! I don't use the Holster - just stick it in my front pants pocket! Here's the link:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ro-full-body-holster-case.html&token=p8_uENLS

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Honestly my favorite rugged case is the Zizo Bolt. It covers all for sides without ceasing any issues with the edge use and in the many drops my little one has done with this phone into my tile and concrete for..I can attest to it's absolute right build.. my phone is honestly in perfect condition with no scratch or breaks.. the case even broke and they sent me a new one for free..I think I didn't $18 on Amazon for it

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox Defender. I've had my phone not only dropped, but thrown against a wall (don't ask). No damage, not even to the wall. (And the guarantee is unbelievable - if anything goes wrong, and they still have one in stock, they'll replace it.) Unfortunately, Lifeproof doesn't make a Note 8 case, or you could have waterproofing too.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
IMO, the Super Duty of cases (yeah, I'm a Ford guy) Unicorn Beetle Pro - I gently removed their plastic screen protector from the front frame because I already had a Zagg tempered glass screen protector on mine. The front frame still snaps in over the Zagg screen protector into the back half of the case and makes for a super rugged case. The outside has a nice grip surface too so it doesn't slip out of your hand easily! I've only dropped mine twice but never a flat face drop like your friends. The UB Pro has an upper and lower lip on the front that keeps the front glass probably 3mm off the surface you lay it on, so I think that would help on a face drop! I don't use the Holster - just stick it in my front pants pocket! Here's the link:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ro-full-body-holster-case.html&token=epW1yF1h

This.

I own an Otterbox Commuter and a Incipio Folio.

Unicorn Beetle Pro + removing the screen protector + Zagg Glass Curve is what I'm running.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
The Defender is still the most protective case, unfortunately with this screen there is not much that can protect it even a screen protector would not likely have saved your friends screen. The Defender at least has the highest top and bottom lip of any case out there, the trade off is it's bulkier than other cases

h2ofun

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
This is why everyone in my family who has a note 8, and it is 6 of us, just want the next version to get ride of the stupid curved glass sides!!

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Dont mind spending a few hundred bucks, all I need is all round protection from drops. Recently a friend of mine had no screen protection but had OtterBox Defender on, but it had no compromise with a 4 feet face drop on concrete, the phone unfortunately had a significant shattered front.

So How else can I protect my Galaxy Note 8? Im thinking of getting a Whitestone Dome and a Rugged Case? Any suggestions?

Yeah Whitestone OtterBox or uag combo would work.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I love the Defwnder case. Superior protection and a nice grumpy feel to it. Using it now. Paid full retail $59 for it as I got it thru carrier (I know it's more that way-I wanted one then and there so I got it at my store lol). Also have a UAG monarch case which is slimmer but for me has been equally protective. Though a little more slippery, it has nice indentation designed areas for easy and secure gripping. That too was $59 bought straight from Uag when new.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The Caseology Legion is a great case also with raised lips. I bought one before I got my S8 plus and Note 8 just to have a case for when my phone arrived until the defender came out.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Otterbox Defender. I've had my phone not only dropped, but thrown against a wall (don't ask). No damage, not even to the wall. (And the guarantee is unbelievable - if anything goes wrong, and they still have one in stock, they'll replace it.) Unfortunately, Lifeproof doesn't make a Note 8 case, or you could have waterproofing too.

Disagree. The Otterbox Defender leaves the S Pen and speaker area completely exposed, the Unicorn Beetle does not. The Unicorn Beetle Pro also has a better grip and small raised rubber bumpers on the back for extra protection. It's all a bit slimmer but doesn't sacrifice protection. And a fraction of the price ($20 off Amazon).

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Disagree. The Otterbox Defender leaves the S Pen and speaker area completely exposed, the Unicorn Beetle does not. The Unicorn Beetle Pro also has a better grip and small raised rubber bumpers on the back for extra protection. It's all a bit slimmer but doesn't sacrifice protection. And a fraction of the price ($20 off Amazon).

+1. I’ve always had otterbox defenders on my iPhones etc but opted for the unicorn beetle case for my N8 and couldn’t be happier. Also includes an inbuilt screen protector as well. It gives exactly the same level of protection as an otterbox, feels slimmer and is half the price. Very happy with it.

ocramida

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
+1. I’ve always had otterbox defenders on my iPhones etc but opted for the unicorn beetle case for my N8 and couldn’t be happier. Also includes an inbuilt screen protector as well. It gives exactly the same level of protection as an otterbox, feels slimmer and is half the price. Very happy with it.
Yeah, after looking more closely at the unicorn I retract my otter recommendation. The points made above give unicorn the edge.

bhappy11

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
I had a tech 21 case. 6 ft drop protection. Didn't feel like it protected the sides much at all.

I picked up a spec presidio clear case at Best buy
black Friday sale for $22.00! It has 8ft drop protection.
I love that it's clear. You can see the orchid grey color and the shiny silver bezzels on my note 8 now!
I have gotten a lot of compliments at work with this case.

This case is thick. And offers great side protection.
In fact it's so thick a cheap wireless charger Will not work.
I guess due to it sitting so high off the charger with the case. Samsung charger no problem though.

What I like about the spec presidio clear case is it keeps the screen a good 2 to 3 mm off the surface when laying down.
And gives pretty good side protection as well.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
A case is like locking your door at home. You lock your door to keep the "mild" criminal out, but if they really want in, the lock is nothing more than a hindrance. Phone cases are the same. I have friends that could shatter a phone if it were incased in concrete and I have friends that carry their phones naked and throw them around like they were a Happy Meal Toy and never get a scratch. For those former folks, I have an idea. Somebody needs to design a phone case that is designed after a bucky ball with shock absorbing webbing on the interior. The phone would be cradled in the webbing. Make it about the size of a volleyball and you take care of your breakage issue and you would have a difficult time losing it also. Of course, this would mean using Bixby for everything. Wouldn't that be a real joy!!

All in jest,
BigRedGonzo

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

One more thing to add about the Unicorn Beetle Pro is that you also get robust port hole covers to keep debris out of your ports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol