My Note8 keeps freezing on standby

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's too bad if you can't get the phone sorted out because it is one of the best if not the best phone this year. But there are a lot of cool choices. If me, my short list would be OnePlus 5T, Pixel2 XL and sounds like a fun phone with interesting specs... the RAZER phone.

www.razerzone.com/mobile/razer-phone

If it's the December update then it didn't work for me. I installed it yesterday.

The problem is I have no idea what I would get instead of a Note 8. I'm really bummed.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Because Resets are such a pain in the butt... making sure your data is secured and backed up and prep by keeping track of what’s installed before and their settings to put them all back and then to take hours to set back up like before. And in a restore like this... I always forget an account or app I didn’t back up settings or data.

It’s not like an iOS device where it’s a one shot backup if you want to erase and restore usings Apples cloud to pretty much exactly the way it was before the erase within the hour. The only prep is making sure you have a fresh backup to the cloud right before.

I’m pretty much ready to erase my phone back to stock from recent issue posted elsewhere freezing while charging... but last couple of charges have gone without a freeze and tonight I tested wireless charging just to test since people have been posting of wireless charge issues and I wanted to see if my issues may also have included that... but it charged without a hitch from 65% to full in an hour... so fingers crossed my issue has gone away from the adjustment I made and maybe with apps always updated a sw issue resolved (praying lol)??

Hope I didn’t jinx myself.
Not really any difference between Samsung's backup and restore and iOS. If you log into your phone with a Samsung Account, and then in Settings\Cloud Accounts\Backup, you can backup everything including the app layout. If you use a custom launcher like Nova or Microsoft, those have their own backups of the app layout.

I've reset my Note before and have found it extremely quick and easy to restore from Samsung Cloud. No different than when I've done the same with iPhones (latest I had was the 7 Plus).
9d565cd4268b27aa2083d80d0f8c0f00.jpg

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh really? Your phone already froze after the update? I think it started going out OTA yesterday. I had to manually check for updates to find mine.

Honestly I think it may be time to give up on the phone officially if this update didn't fix it - in your case anyway. Maybe an S8 Plus?
Yea. It still froze after the update. I manually checked as well yesterday. Very dissappointing.

So you all know, I just came back from the TMobile store. They convinced me to do an exchange one more time. And if it doesn't work then definitely switch to something else. They placed another warranty exchange order. I'm only living with this frustration because my options for switching are slim.

I had an s8+ before the Note and while that was a great phone I love all of the upgrades that came with the Note. If I did switch I think I'd just get a regular s8 and at least have a phone that works and that I can use with one hand.

The phone won't come in until Tuesday or Wednesday but I'll be traveling. I won't return home until after New Year's.

In the meantime I've thought about something else. Maybe it's an issue with the Sim card?

Anyone with the issue happen to have Digits and multiline? Even if you don't have multiline enabled. I never logged in but I know some of the features work even if you don't set it up.

I swapped Sim cards with my duplicate phone and I'm wondering if that will make a difference. Just throwing out ideas hoping something sticks.

And by the way thanks for all of the support guys.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
That's too bad if you can't get the phone sorted out because it is one of the best if not the best phone this year. But there are a lot of cool choices. If me, my short list would be OnePlus 5T, Pixel2 XL and sounds like a fun phone with interesting specs... the RAZER phone.

I agree with this. If my Note 8 wasn't occasionally freezing I'd say it's definitely the best phone of the year, and not just among Androids.

OnePlus 5T is excellent for the price, but I'd pick your other suggestion, the Pixel2 XL. Mainly for the camera.

I'm loving the Nokia 8. Definitely think its the best looking Android device of the year. Wish it didn't still have 2016 bezels, but then again so does the Pixel2 (smaller version).

The Nokia 8 has the best LCD display I've ever seen on a smartphone, iPhone 8 included.

But, of course AMOLED is king, especially Samsung's. Especially the Note 8's. And though the live bokeh mode on the Nokia 8 is fantastic, overall I'd take the Note 8's camera.

Wish I could combine features or hardware from the Nokia 8, Pixel2 XL, and Note 8. But alas...

The best value out of those 3 is the Nokia 8 (about $460 brand new). Stock experience, updates faster than the Pixel sometimes, and it's rocking the latest and greatest chipset like the more expensive options. Also probably the nicest design if you go with the polished copper or polished blue.

Pixel2 XL has a better camera, less bezel, and an AMOLED display (though there are some display problems with some units apparently), but lacks a headphone jack.

The Note 8 has it all but the stock experience. Which these days doesn't matter to most. It really is the most complete phone of the bunch, but if its giving you problems, you have some really nice alternatives as mentioned.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Yea. It still froze after the update. I manually checked as well yesterday. Very dissappointing.

So you all know, I just came back from the TMobile store. They convinced me to do an exchange one more time. And if it doesn't work then definitely switch to something else. They placed another warranty exchange order. I'm only living with this frustration because my options for switching are slim.

I had an s8+ before the Note and while that was a great phone I love all of the upgrades that came with the Note. If I did switch I think I'd just get a regular s8 and at least have a phone that works and that I can use with one hand.

The phone won't come in until Tuesday or Wednesday but I'll be traveling. I won't return home until after New Year's.

In the meantime I've thought about something else. Maybe it's an issue with the Sim card?

Anyone with the issue happen to have Digits and multiline? Even if you don't have multiline enabled. I never logged in but I know some of the features work even if you don't set it up.

I swapped Sim cards with my duplicate phone and I'm wondering if that will make a difference. Just throwing out ideas hoping something sticks.

And by the way thanks for all of the support guys.

I don't think it's the SIM card, simply because I put mine in my new Nokia 8, and the Note 8 has already frozen once without a SIM card inside it.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I don't mind trying out Pixel 2xl or the OnePlus 5t even though I love Samsung pay. My problem is that none of those phones are available on JOD. I also have an original Pixel XL and I don't think I can justify paying outright for the 2. I also tried the little Pixel 2 and I couldn't get past how ugly it was so I sent it back. It's also not enough of an upgrade. The OnePlus 5T seems good but I don't see that being a long term phone for me so dropping $499 isn't appealing.

The Note 8 is the best period. I just want it to work.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
does anyone with these problems have apps on the sd card and running from there instead of from the internal memory?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Not me. Is that even possible?

it is but not all apps are optimised for it, you might need to have developer options enabled for it though, it's an option on my unlocked exynos version but i keep apps in internal memory since it's 64gb and have a 64gb Samsung evo U3 card as well so that takes care of pics

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Plot twist: My Note8 has not frozen at all since the OTA update on Saturday. Tempted to take my SIM and microSD out of my new Nokia 8 and test my Note8 out for a few days. Enjoying the Nokia 8 a lot though, very elegant, fast, pleasant to handle.

I know laestrella's device already froze once since the update, so I'm surprised mine hasn't yet.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So I finally had enough and couldn’t wait for a replacement Note 8. I swapped to an iPhone X. Going to use that along with my Pixel XL until the S9 and or Note 9. I didn’t want to wait for a device that could have the same problem and go through the same nonsense yet again. I’m pretty bummed about it.

Good luck to everyone else who is having the problem.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Plot twist: My Note8 has not frozen at all since the OTA update on Saturday. Tempted to take my SIM and microSD out of my new Nokia 8 and test my Note8 out for a few days. Enjoying the Nokia 8 a lot though, very elegant, fast, pleasant to handle.

I know laestrella's device already froze once since the update, so I'm surprised mine hasn't yet.

I really hope that your luck continues. The Note 8 is really a great device. Keep us posted.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

So much for this. Seven, almost eight days after the update my device has frozen again. Wonder why it went so long without freezing this time. I also rebooted once in between because of a date-and-time update to Settings.

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, over a week and no issues, but this morning woke up to a frozen Note. Considering getting a replacement and selling it, maybe it's pixel time.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So much for this. Seven, almost eight days after the update my device has frozen again. Wonder why it went so long without freezing this time. I also rebooted once in between because of a date-and-time update to Settings.
It's strange how it can go days and no freezing and sometimes it's every day. Or every other day. Sorry the update didn't fix the problem for you.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
For me, the home button freezes on AOD. If I use On button, the phone is not really frozen. I think it could be a b7g in AOD app, although it may have been fixed with the last update a couple of days ago.