My Note8 keeps freezing on standby

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
For me, the home button freezes on AOD. If I use On button, the phone is not really frozen. I think it could be a b7g in AOD app, although it may have been fixed with the last update a couple of days ago.

Is the time frozen too when this happens? Or is the time current and you just can't unlock using the home button?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
When I had my phone freeze/lock on the AOD if it’s showing the time it froze so I’d wake at 6am in the morning and my phone would be frozen showing 11:30pm last night.

Is the time frozen too when this happens? Or is the time current and you just can't unlock using the home button?

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
When I had my phone freeze/lock on the AOD if it’s showing the time it froze so I’d wake at 6am in the morning and my phone would be frozen showing 11:30pm last night.

Yeah, same. It sounds like in notefreak's case the phone wasn't frozen at all, time included. It was just a problem with the home button.

mfidelman

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Somehow, I don't think this has to do with any specific app - too many are being reported, and Android does pre-emptive multiprocessing - it should isolate the system from a freeze/crash of any one app. This has all the signs of either an o/s or hardware issue.

It sure would be nice if Android didn't come with it's log files read-protected from non-root users. That kind of makes it really hard to do any kind of crash analysis without rooting one's phone. (Why does google do this for Android????!!!)

It might also be nice to have a hardware test package.

Any suggestions along either of these lines?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
After the November update my phone had been running pretty much flawlessly without freezing at charge and stopped with the low charge message when I plugged in a factory cable... until after the December update where I get the low charge message a number of times right after the update and then I got the dreaded freeze/lockup while it was in my pocket.

So as mentioned elsewhere, I pretty much decided to do a erase to factory reset and reload everything on New Years Eve.

It was a pain in the butt because it took hours to reset to factory, disable/uninstall as much preloaded hardware, slowly reinstall apps and find all the little settings here and there to get it exactly how it was before... but the phone is working flawlessly again... not a single low charge message plugging in and no freeze in the last 4 days. Will keep an eye on it.

I reinstalled about all my apps I had before... except BK Disabler. I like BK and not really thinking it could have been a cause... but decided to just disable/uninstall apps through settings and avoid any possible issue with BK everytime I get a monthly updates. I can't disable more lower level system programs like BK but I can live with it.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
After the November update my phone had been running pretty much flawlessly without freezing at charge and stopped with the low charge message when I plugged in a factory cable... until after the December update where I get the low charge message a number of times right after the update and then I got the dreaded freeze/lockup while it was in my pocket.

So as mentioned elsewhere, I pretty much decided to do a erase to factory reset and reload everything on New Years Eve.

It was a pain in the butt because it took hours to reset to factory, disable/uninstall as much preloaded hardware, slowly reinstall apps and find all the little settings here and there to get it exactly how it was before... but the phone is working flawlessly again... not a single low charge message plugging in and no freeze in the last 4 days. Will keep an eye on it.

I reinstalled about all my apps I had before... except BK Disabler. I like BK and not really thinking it could have been a cause... but decided to just disable/uninstall apps through settings and avoid any possible issue with BK everytime I get a monthly updates. I can't disable more lower level system programs like BK but I can live with it.

Interesting. I think one or two people in this thread tried a factory reset and it didn't work for them re: the phone freezing. Hopefully in your case it solves it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably the only one who hasn't had a freeze yet.

Though mine is a completely different variant; an SM-N950F powered by the Exynos 8895.

What I'm suspecting is that the firmware on the SD variants is almost the same as with past SD-powered Samsungs; They simply are not optimized well enough.

TBH, if the 3rd phone kept freezing, I'd probably just throw in the towel and get something else. The Note8 is a great phone but greatness is only valid when it actually performs the way it should.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably the only one who hasn't had a freeze yet.

Though mine is a completely different variant; an SM-N950F powered by the Exynos 8895.

What I'm suspecting is that the firmware on the SD variants is almost the same as with past SD-powered Samsungs; They simply are not optimized well enough.

TBH, if the 3rd phone kept freezing, I'd probably just throw in the towel and get something else. The Note8 is a great phone but greatness is only valid when it actually performs the way it should.
I haven't had this problem either, but I never let my phones get to zero charge, so not sure if that's the only reason I haven't seen this, but guessing so.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don’t think anyone that’s posted having this particular issue says they are having it running phone to zero.

That’s a whole different topic that kinda sucks cause in my case if my phones doesn’t experience any more freezes... I’d hate to test if my battery is good by draining to zero.

In this post and one I’ve posted myself regarding freeze while charging... I’ve yet to let this phone run to zero.

I haven't had this problem either, but I never let my phones get to zero charge, so not sure if that's the only reason I haven't seen this, but guessing so.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I don’t think anyone that’s posted having this particular issue says they are having it running phone to zero.

That’s a whole different topic that kinda sucks cause in my case if my phones doesn’t experience any more freezes... I’d hate to test if my battery is good by draining to zero.

In this post and one I’ve posted myself regarding freeze while charging... I’ve yet to let this phone run to zero.

Same, I've never let my Note8's battery drain to 0. That's a completely seperate issue that the Note8 is having.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Same here, also when the phone is froze up like this I miss phone calls, text messages, it's really starting to get annoying. I stayed away from Samsung phones for the past 3 years, I guess I should have passed on this one also. Samsung support is pretty useless also.

johnwto

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
Got my Note 8 about 3 weeks ago and it has froze twice now, overnight while charging, AOD on. Froze at 6:37am this morning, and the 7am alarm didn't go off making me late for work.

This is insanity that a flagship phone is doing this. I had an S8+ for about 6 month prior to this and it never happened once.

I'm in Canada, with Rogers, no sd card. I doubt it's the apps because i have the exact apps on the Note as the S8.

wtf Samsung.

johnwto

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
So i just contacted Samsung Live Support to ask them if they were aware of the problem and if so when they plan to have a fix and here was the operators response:

Samsung takes any device report seriously. While we received a very limited number of reports which could be associated with the power management circuit, we are unable to comment further until we obtain more specific information from the phone.
Any consumers with questions about their device should contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG so that we can help them.”

I then called the number and they are in fact aware of the problem, it's software, but I have to bring in to Samsung for a diagnostic. She would not answer whether or not there was an actual fix, she said I have to bring it in.

Last edited:

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So i just contacted Samsung Live Support to ask them if they were aware of the problem and if so when they plan to have a fix and here was the operators response:

Samsung takes any device report seriously. While we received a very limited number of reports which could be associated with the power management circuit, we are unable to comment further until we obtain more specific information from the phone.
Any consumers with questions about their device should contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG so that we can help them.”

Thanks for checking with them. Weird answer. To my knowledge the "power management circuit" wouldn't explain why freezes are less common but still happening after the latest update, and why they were never happening with the pre-release software (pre-ordered Note8s). Also wouldn't explain why it only happens on standby, not while the device is in use.

zoomis

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
After three weeks of no issues, it froze again two nights ago.

AOD on
Left it on the wireless charger overnight

Frustrating. Really hate the idea of sending it off for examination and repair.

kapkap

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
I too was having these issues weeks ago. I tried everything I can think of to correct this issue. I haven't seen my phone freeze since I uninstalled my Secure Folder app and set it back up. Here are some steps to do this.

1. Open your Secure Folder and Log In
2. Click the 3 dots on top right and select Settings
3. Select More Settings
4. Uninstall

Once your done with that from reinstall your secure folder. I found these settings from Android Central for this portion.https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-samsungs-secure-folder-galaxy-s8

1. Open the device settings by tapping the gear icon in the upper right corner of your notification shade.
2. Scroll down until you see the Lock screen and security section. Tap to open it.
3. Scroll down until you see the Secure Folder entry and tap it to open the setup process.
4. Log in with your Samsung account.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Until "johnwto" posted (74?) and stated that he was with Rogers in Canada, it appears that everyone complaining has been with TMobile. Has anyone thought to do a poll to see if that's true and if that indeed, could be a common denominator? I am with AT&T and have not (knock, knock) had a single issue since I purchased the phone! Just sayin'...

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Until "johnwto" posted (74?) and stated that he was with Rogers in Canada, it appears that everyone complaining has been with TMobile. Has anyone thought to do a poll to see if that's true and if that indeed, could be a common denominator? I am with AT&T and have not (knock, knock) had a single issue since I purchased the phone! Just sayin'...

The second post in the thread is from someone with an unlocked model, but there does seem to be a disproportionate number of us having this issue on T-Mobile.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci