My Note8 keeps freezing on standby

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
AT&T here. To update I mentioned doing my New Years erase/recovery on New Year's Eve... what a pain finding and getting all my settings back to how I wanted... But been 11 days and running well without an issue.

Until "johnwto" posted (74?) and stated that he was with Rogers in Canada, it appears that everyone complaining has been with TMobile. Has anyone thought to do a poll to see if that's true and if that indeed, could be a common denominator? I am with AT&T and have not (knock, knock) had a single issue since I purchased the phone! Just sayin'...

neopolotin75

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problem of it freezing on my Att after the November update. It was a refurbished phone and I did a factory reset multiple time and did a clean install without restoring data and I still had the issue. I got a replacement phone from Att and so far so good. The only difference between this one and the 2st replacement is that the latest phone that they sent had the original launch software and the replacement had the Oct patch.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just to update the thread... I made it 21 days since my New Year's Eve factory reset and set back up... and it decided to just freeze up today :( Was working... had it in my pocket a bit... and when I take my phone out of pocket, black screen and frozen.

At this point, not gonna worry about it if it's going to be infrequent as once a month. Just irritating that the OS/Samsung is wonky. Hopefully a future update or Oreo will resolve it.

AT&T here. To update I mentioned doing my New Years erase/recovery on New Year's Eve... what a pain finding and getting all my settings back to how I wanted... But been 11 days and running well without an issue.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Just to update the thread... I made it 21 days since my New Year's Eve factory reset and set back up... and it decided to just freeze up today :( Was working... had it in my pocket a bit... and when I take my phone out of pocket, black screen and frozen.

At this point, not gonna worry about it if it's going to be infrequent as once a month. Just irritating that the OS/Samsung is wonky. Hopefully a future update or Oreo will resolve it.

I've resigned myself to Note8 defeat at this point. After freezes got a little less frequent following the last update, it's happening often again.

I'll be jumping to the S9 (T-Mobile) and just hoping it won't have the same problem.

If only my Nokia 8 could match the Note8's camera I'd just stay with that. Stellar device. Oh well.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I pop into this thread every now and again even though I traded in my Note 8 for an iPhone just to see if there are any changes.

The other Note 8 on my account just experienced its first freeze ever last week. That person never had any of the issues that I had when I was going through my dilemma and even offered to swap phones with me.

Seems like it can happen at anytime. It can happen a lot or a little. The constant of never knowing when that would be was enough for me to quit. Let's hope that this doesn't happen with the S9.

zoomis

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Turned off AOD and stopped leaving it on the charger overnight.

But it definitely has made this phone feel temporary. I'll get the Note 9 this fall and hope for the best.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I pop into this thread every now and again even though I traded in my Note 8 for an iPhone just to see if there are any changes.

The other Note 8 on my account just experienced its first freeze ever last week. That person never had any of the issues that I had when I was going through my dilemma and even offered to swap phones with me.

Seems like it can happen at anytime. It can happen a lot or a little. The constant of never knowing when that would be was enough for me to quit. Let's hope that this doesn't happen with the S9.

The iPhone will never be an alternative for me, but I'm glad you're no longer dealing with this issue. Thanks for thinking of us and popping back in lol.

It's fortunate that there are so many Android options, given this issue. If the S9 has an issue too, I may be swearing off Samsung forever as it will be the 3rd Samsung phone out of the 4 I will have owned to have an issue (Note7 and Note8 being the previous two).

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Turned off AOD and stopped leaving it on the charger overnight.

But it definitely has made this phone feel temporary. I'll get the Note 9 this fall and hope for the best.

Has this helped? If so, when was your last freeze? Fall 2018 is definitely a long time to be dealing with this issue.

johnwto

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
Just horrible and unbelievable that a $1000 flagship phone freezes. In this modern world of technology this should never happen. I have been late twice for work because of this!

As of a week ago I stopped charging at night and last night i had my first freeze without it being on charge. I have never had this otherwise perfect phone freeze on me during the day so it must have something to do with the AOD being on for long periods of time with no interruptions .....who knows......

Either way I can no longer use this phone as simple alarm. wtf.

zoomis

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Has this helped? If so, when was your last freeze? Fall 2018 is definitely a long time to be dealing with this issue.

Not sure if it's truly helped but I haven't had a freeze in about three weeks. All (except for once, maybe) of my issues have occurred when it has been left on the charger overnight (wired or wireless).

When I have it on the charger at work and it hits 100%, it doesn't freeze. Seems like it must have something to do with being fully charged, on the charger, without use for an extended period of time.

Fall of 2018 is a long wait - no doubt. If it started happening to me during the day, I'd have to get it fixed.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Just horrible and unbelievable that a $1000 flagship phone freezes. In this modern world of technology this should never happen. I have been late twice for work because of this!

As of a week ago I stopped charging at night and last night i had my first freeze without it being on charge. I have never had this otherwise perfect phone freeze on me during the day so it must have something to do with the AOD being on for long periods of time with no interruptions .....who knows......

Either way I can no longer use this phone as simple alarm. wtf.

That was my biggest fear, freezing before my alarm goes off. That's why I had to get a new phone and relegate my Note8 to backup status until I can trade it in for an S9.

neopolotin75

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to say it's something with the software maybe AOD. My replacement phone is still freezing even with clean installs. I'm leaving AOD off and seeing if that helps.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to say it's something with the software maybe AOD. My replacement phone is still freezing even with clean installs. I'm leaving AOD off and seeing if that helps.

For what it’s worth I tried turning of the AOD and still experienced the freezing. But your situation may be different.

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
My phone would freeze twice a week, finally sent it in for repair from Samsung. Just got word that the repair was completed. Here is what they did...

With your ticket number I see that your phone repair is done and our technician has Replaced LCD - Replaced PBA - Replaced Component .

Hopefully it's fixed and will function properly.

zoomis

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been working pretty well but had one freeze last week. Phone was in my pocket for an extended period of time...pulled it out and had to reboot.

AOD has been off.

I did charge it overnight (two nights in a row) with the power off. No issues, which was nice.

Carlos1602

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
I live in the Philippines and took delivery of my Note 8 on the 27th November and from day 1 it kept on freezing and crashing. I spoke with Samsung Concierge here and they advised me to take it to a Samsung service centre which I did and after 5 days of having the phone they told me that there was nothing wrong with it. I did not accept that so Samsung Concierge sent me to another Samsung service centre who and in matter of some 30 minutes identified the fault with the phone's memory chip. As this is part and parcel of the motherboard the whole motherboard was replaced and for two weeks now the phone has performed as it should have done so from day 1. Hope that this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams