ATT: New Update Available (12/4/17)

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Funny... I went to the AT&T site to get the details to publish here so anyone wanting to know what they might be getting would have them? They still show the October 1st 'BQJA' version as being the latest - figures right? I guess we shouldn't complain - at least we got it!

UPDATE - 6:00PM - It's updated now!

Last edited:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I read yesterday there's a major battery drain "IF" you leave your WiFi on because "Google" is doing something stupid with the update. I don't leave my WiFi on so I haven't noticed anything - read it on Android Authority! Just in case anyone experiences this, here's your "Heads Up" - just turn off your WiFi when you don't need it until Google gets their act together and sends out a patch!

Search Android Authority "Users with the November security patch are seeing a loss in battery life" seeing the url's don't seem to work worth a darned here!

Last edited:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Here it is so you don't have to search Quote Android Authority Article:

"If you have a device with the November security patch, how’s your battery life? Users across Reddit, XDA Forums, and Google’s support forums are reporting that their batteries are taking a beating. The problem seems to stem from changes made in the November security patch. After installing it, some users are reporting that Google Play Services is using up anywhere from 30% to 90% of their battery in just a few hours. In almost every case, users are connected to Wi-Fi, so we’re going on the assumption that the bug is related to it. While we’d love to tell you about a permanent fix, there isn’t one right now. One Reddit user claims that wiping the data from Play Services and disabling Wi-Fi after a reboot seems to help. This should help in the short-term, but who knows how long it’ll last.

Google has yet to comment on the bug beyond letting people know its investigating and to stay tuned. This issue doesn’t appear to be device-specific. While Pixel owners have been the most vocal about it, owners of the Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and those with OnePlus devices have also reported the issue.

Not being able to use your phone because all of the battery is being eaten up in the background is frustrating, to say the least. Hopefully, this one doesn’t stick around too long. Google should be pushing out the December security patch soon, which will hopefully contain a fix."

Again, I don't leave WiFi on and I have NO BATTERY issues! Take it for what it's worth!

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I read yesterday there's a major battery drain "IF" you leave your wireless on because "Google" is doing something stupid with the update. I don't leave my wireless on so I haven't noticed anything - read it on Android Authority! Just in case anyone experiences this, here's your "Heads Up" - just turn off your wireless when you don't need it until Google gets their act together and sends out a patch!

Search Android Authority "Users with the November security patch are seeing a loss in battery life" seeing the url's don't seem to work worth a darned here!

thank you for posting this. I'll bet this explains my issue with my signal, in part. makes sense now. I leave mine on all the time except at night. I also keep it on my wireless charger during the day so I haven't seen the drain except when using it and I did notice, but thought it was me. it was better before.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
thank you for posting this. I'll bet this explains my issue with my signal, in part. makes sense now. I leave mine on all the time except at night. I also keep it on my wireless charger during the day so I haven't seen the drain except when using it and I did notice, but thought it was me. it was better before.

Yeah, and I corrected my OP to say WiFi because of wireless charging - I forget! It's a WiFi issue, not wireless charging issue! They think Google Play Services is doing something (like full time in the background) since the update and that's what is causing the drain, as long as WiFi is enabled! Leave it to Google... if they're not secretly tracking where you're driving to, they're eating up your battery while you sleep! :-(

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and I corrected my OP to say WiFi because of wireless charging - I forget! It's a WiFi issue, not wireless charging issue! They think Google Play Services is doing something (like full time in the background) since the update and that's what is causing the drain, as long as WiFi is enabled! Leave it to Google... if they're not secretly tracking where you're driving to, they're eating up your battery while you sleep! :-(

I knew something was wrong! thank you! was starting to feel like I had lost my tiny, work-addled mind. and I figured, regardless of your post wording, that the two were somehow connected. I'm using that new app they have to scan for bad apps too. maybe turning that off until they fix what they've broken is a good idea too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463