My Note 8 has died naturally??. DEAD!!! :(

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

I was checking the manual... nowhere does it say or warn about letting the battery run until dead.

Actually on page 8 it says it will shut off automatically when it determines too low... so that should be a safety built...

"When to Charge the Battery
When the battery is low, your device conserves its
remaining battery power by dimming the screen.
When the battery level becomes too low, the device
automatically turns off."

But I am curious... where is the setting you mention where you can have it shut down at 3%? I checked my phone and manual and cannot find it. Maybe a carrier specific option? I am in US AT&T.

@donm527
not trying to **** on your parade or anything but you need to understand that battery technology have moved on since all those phones you have in the drawer, it is not just note 8 this would happen to either, yes it can be a pain in you know what if it accidentally happens you run it completely dry but it is a performance trade off and people just need to learn, it's in the manual they didn't read, set a low battery warning or to shut down at 3 % and it will never be a problem

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

they're made this way for YOUR safety and MAX performance, it's in the manual you didn't bother reading.
it's not good to run your car empty to the stage where there's only fumes left in the fuel lines either but I guess you do it all the time and never had a problem

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
re:

Because for whatever reason his brand new phone did run out of battery and when he tried to put it on a charger, the phone is a brick.

Do you think that it really is his fault his battery shouldn’t be able to handle a recharge when goes to zero? Things happen when you can be as prepared as possible and still find yourself in a situation where you run out juice and doesn’t have a right to ask for help? I gave a suggestion posted by someone elsewhere in hopes it may help. :/
And I bet that little engine warning light keeps coming on on the dashboard in his car!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

the phone won't be a brick, follow the advice given and I'm 99 % sure it will be all good but it is avoidable if you read the manual first is my point

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

I have a 2001 Z06 that I bought new and I will be honest... I have run out of gas with it once or twice lol. Not on purpose but happened (just a lesson learned that when it says reserve... we're talking 3-4 minutes lol). But 16 years later after numerous miles and days at the track... I still have it and it still runs and had no problems when I was able to get the gas back in. So no... never had a problem. Accidents happen and unless stated somewhere... it should take it if it happens.

they're made this way for YOUR safety and MAX performance, it's in the manual you didn't bother reading.
it's not good to run your car empty to the stage where there's only fumes left in the fuel lines either but I guess you do it all the time and never had a problem

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

I have a 2001 Z06 that I bought new and I will be honest... I have run out of gas with it once or twice lol. Not on purpose but happened (just a lesson learned that when it says reserve... we're talking 3-4 minutes lol). But 16 years later after numerous miles and days at the track... I still have it and it still runs and had no problems when I was able to get the gas back in. So no... never had a problem. Accidents happen and unless stated somewhere... it should take it if it happens.

That's the point, you are comparing old tech to new tech, try and hook up one of those old batteries to a new high end phone and you wouldn't get an hour out of it in power saving mode..... and it tells you in the manual you should have read

larciel

May 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

Only other time I had an issue with a smart phone is when my LG G5 constantly reboot itself until it wouldn't turn on or charge. I change the motherboard with another G5 and it still wouldn't charge or turn on.

still no sign of life! :(

back in 2000s, with NiCd batteries, I told customers to drain the battery all the way down before charging. Otherwise they will shorten the battery life... I guess it's a moot point here but... :D

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

RTFM is the golden rule, but few do if an item is mostly familiar, including me.

I read what I need, as I am a voracious reader and researcher anyway... it's what I do, in part, but I tend to search before reading. in the manual as well as the web. after years of owning devices I know what to do primarily, and the finding out the rest is part of the fun. like the what have you discovered thread.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

I just saying... I read the manual... I guess we are talking about the 289 page pdf for Note 8 and I didn't see it. I even referenced page 8 for you as the closest thing I could find that mentioned battery getting low. If you can point to the page your talking about then I'll be happy to read it to satisfy my curiousity.

Also, I asked you to please point me to where you can set to shut down the phone at 3%... I sincerely searched through my phone and the manual and couldnt find it. The reason I ask is that I am willing to set it at 3% for my own peace of mind since I am (hopefully WAS) experiencing freezing issues when charging and just want to avoid any other issues with charging or battery.

That's the point, you are comparing old tech to new tech, try and hook up one of those old batteries to a new high end phone and you wouldn't get an hour out of it in power saving mode..... and it tells you in the manual you should have read

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

like I said before, I had to leave a Yotaphone overnight plugged in to the computer before it triggered the battery right, don't panic, you have a 99% chance everything will be fine :)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Page 20 of the manual...

If the battery is completely discharged, the device cannot be turned on immediately
when the charger is connected. Allow a depleted battery to charge for a few minutes
before turning on the device.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

My phone has died to 0% a couple of times and has never had an issue charging or turning back on since. That's strange that it's not turning on for you, but leave it off and charging for a while and see what happens after an hour of it being plugged in. Maybe try pressing the power, volume up, and Bixby button and see if it does anything

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
re:

@donm527
not trying to **** on your parade or anything but you need to understand that battery technology have moved on since all those phones you have in the drawer, it is not just note 8 this would happen to either, yes it can be a pain in you know what if it accidentally happens you run it completely dry but it is a performance trade off and people just need to learn, it's in the manual they didn't read, set a low battery warning or to shut down at 3 % and it will never be a problem
Actually you're right and wrong... Back in the day batteries were crap but I fully agree with the OP, battery technology hasn't changed since the iPhone 4 or even the original Note, the capacity may have increased but a Lithium Ion battery is still a Lithium Ion battery. Having paid a tidy sum for our devices and having to worry that just being away from a charger long enough that the battery is no longer capable of powering the device and that this could kill it is absurd. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen just that it's BS that this is a concern for this device.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

That's a good idea... try the force reboot using power button + volume up... both with the phone on the charger and off the charger after try to charge for an hour+...

It could be the battery is drained but when the phone died it's stuck in a frozen state. I have had iPhones that looked completely dead/bricked but when forcing it into DFU mode (something similar to the power/volume combo), I was able to trigger a reboot after numerous attempts going between cabled and un-cabled. Worth a shot.

My phone has died to 0% a couple of times and has never had an issue charging or turning back on since. That's strange that it's not turning on for you, but leave it off and charging for a while and see what happens after an hour of it being plugged in. Maybe try pressing the power, volume up, and Bixby button and see if it does anything

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

let's not get into "Why you should charge before 0%" It'd be endlessly time-wasting discussion with no happy ending.

There's no discussion to be had on this front, it has been repeated thousands of times for years that this should be avoided at all reasonable costs. The actual best practice is to try to avoid letting it get below 20%, but that's about battery longevity, not about the issue you are experiencing.

This issue isn't "normal" in that it doesn't happen every time a device gets too low, but it's also not uncommon. I've had it happen with both phones and tablets and it basically boils down to the device freaking out and trying to protect itself from battery death. If you've ever had a car battery run slightly too low while it is cold outside, this is a similar way to think about in terms of results. Car doesn't want to crank at super low voltage, even if the remaining charge in the battery is technically enough to continue normal operation of the vehicle/device.

Agree with all the other people who said put it on the USB charger and let it sit there without touching it for a period. Not sure how long the Note 8 takes, other devices with this issue it ranges from a few minutes to 24 hours.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site